Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 Light Strikes

HCH

I do not have a 320, but I have seen two or three at our local matches that have had recurring light strike issues. These were all new(ish) shooters with stock guns and they were using factory ammo (not sure on brand, but it was brass cased). One of the pistols belonged to a friend of mine, and I believe he has since sold it. Do light strikes seem common in these pistols, or are our new shooters just unlucky?

I have about 700 rounds through my RX Compact now with the factory striker spring. I've used Remington factory ammo and my own with Federal primers. No failures to fire with light strikes so far.

I do the pencil test on my guns to get a rough gauge of how hard I'm hitting the primers. My 2011s and 1911s will launch the pencil up to near the ceiling when I do this even using reduced power hammer springs. The P320 will get the pencil out of the barrel but not by much. I was surprised by this considering these are the new military guns. I would have expected much higher firing pin impact for use with military ammo. But, maybe there are heavier striker springs in the military guns.

13 hours ago, Resjudicata said:

I do the pencil test on my guns to get a rough gauge of how hard I'm hitting the primers. My 2011s and 1911s will launch the pencil up to near the ceiling when I do this even using reduced power hammer springs. The P320 will get the pencil out of the barrel but not by much. I was surprised by this considering these are the new military guns. I would have expected much higher firing pin impact for use with military ammo. But, maybe there are heavier striker springs in the military guns.

That was my experience as well. But I have not had a single issue.

14 hours ago, Resjudicata said:

The P320 will get the pencil out of the barrel but not by much. 

Glocks do the same thing with factory springs but light off pretty much anything. It has something to do with a striker vs. traditional firing pin.

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Glocks do the same thing with factory springs but light off pretty much anything. It has something to do with a striker vs. traditional firing pin.

I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

personally I have never had that issuer in over 4 years of shooting with a P320. I have used factory ammo, my own reloaded ammo with Federal Match, CCI and Winchester primers. If you did have this issue I am willing to bet Sig would fix it at no cost but I have not seen it on mine or others.  

I also did the pencil test, and as stated, my 1911s, and 2011s will launch them.

My M&Ps, Bodyguard .380, and Kimber Solo BARELY move the pencil.

My 320s probably move it about an inch. More than my other striker=fired guns, but nothing like my 1911s and 2011s.

I also tried a friend's 320RX, and it launched the pencil pretty good. I don't understand why the RX moved the pencil out further than my 320s, one of which is a pretty new xfive.

• 2 years later...

I found out yesterday my Legion will not reliably fire ammo loaded with CCI small rifle primers. No issues with Fed srp. ( I ran out of small pistol primers)

X-Five and no light strike issues here.

It's been reported that P320 Legion uses a lighter striker spring (to help with a lighter trigger pull weight, apparently).

Therefore, if a Legion is having a light strike issue, you could try the standard striker spring.

Edited by DirectDrive

20 hours ago, DirectDrive said:

It's been reported that P320 Legion uses a lighter striker spring (to help with a lighter trigger pull weight, apparently)

Thanks, I have heard the same thing about the striker spring. I have loaded up some more ammo with small pistol primers and will retest. Just to make sure there isn't something else going on. My trigger is right at 3lbs. and I don't want to change that if I don't have to.

2 hours ago, Cavy said:

Thanks, I have heard the same thing about the striker spring. I have loaded up some more ammo with small pistol primers and will retest. Just to make sure there isn't something else going on. My trigger is right at 3lbs. and I don't want to change that if I don't have to.

Here's about the best price around for a standard P320 striker assembly.

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-1302833-r.html

I don't think you'd lose much, if anything on your pull weight because the striker is reportedly 95+% charged in a P320.

And maybe your rifle primers had a thicker cup and the whole thing is a non-issue.

Good luck

On 5/13/2020 at 10:31 AM, DirectDrive said:

And maybe your rifle primers had a thicker cup and the whole thing is a non-issue.

Yeah, The primers I was having an issue with were CCI BR4 bench rest small rifle. Went back to standard Win. small pistol and problem went away.

Thanks, Randy

P.S.  I found this spring at Midwest Gun Works. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/1300979-R

Doesn't specify (Legion only) so probably the stiffer spring.

Most likely the standard spring.

Shhh....the Legion spring is supposed to be a "secret" but owners of standard P320 and legion have reported a lighter striker spring in the Legion.

Good to know that you can buy just the spring.

Edited by DirectDrive

The part number for the legion striker spring is 2700139-R

The legion spring is on the right. It’s longer but noticeably softer when you are installing it. It makes a very marginal difference in pull weight. Maybe .25-.3 pounds. 

7DF31094-096A-4A51-95B0-CF646C85E734.jpeg

Edited by Rich406

38 minutes ago, DirectDrive said:

Thanks for that intel.

I can't get that part number to "search".

Maybe it's not available separately ?

I bought 10 of them a month ago, call sig directly. 

Thanks !

Do you have to be a "Legion Member" and know the secret password ?

Not kidding, actually.

ETA:

Your measured pull weight difference is a witness to the P320 design.

In other words, the striker spring is almost fully charged when the weapon is charged, therefore the striker spring has little influence on pull weight.

I wonder why they went to a different striker spring in Legion ?

Edited by DirectDrive

2 minutes ago, DirectDrive said:

Thanks !

Do you have to be a "Legion Member" and know the secret password ?

Not kidding, actually.

dunno, I gave them a serial number from one of my legions and asked for striker springs. So it’s possible. Usually the “legion only” stuff, are the things with cosmetic legion logos though. 

5 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

dunno, I gave them a serial number from one of my legions and asked for striker springs. So it’s possible. Usually the “legion only” stuff, are the things with cosmetic legion logos though. 

Yep, I think that was the "Secret Handshake"

Edited by DirectDrive

Everyone - The issue is fixable by following one simple process...I know this because I experienced the exact same deal with two of my 320’s and a Certified SIG Armorer told me to do one simple but very very important thing and it fixed both of my P320’s....

Remove the striker assembly and clean it good with your favorite gun solvent (not oil) and DO NOT put any oil, grease, or lube on the striker assembly unless you use a very small amount of dry graphite(a very very small amount)...  He told me that the striker assembly in these pistols are designed to run DRY.....Clean the complete striker assembly good and use canned air to dry it....Clean and dry the chamber where the striker assembly resides and then reinsert your striker assembly....Both of my pistols have run flawless ever since...

To confirm that this was the real issue I removed the striker assembly from one of my P320’s and put about 4-5 drops of CLP oil on it and replaced it in the pistol....About 40 rounds into my next firing session, using factory ammo - I started having light strikes again...I removed the assembly right there at the range and sprayed it down with Powder Blast and then took three Q-Tips and cleaned and dried the striker assembly cylinder on the pistol and re-inserted the striker assembly.....That pistol has over 300 rds since the reassembly with ZERO light strikes......

Give this a try and you should find your light strike issues go away.....without having to replace the striker assembly or pistols springs....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

On 5/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Everyone - The issue is fixable by following one simple process...I know this because I experienced the exact same deal with two of my 320’s and a Certified SIG Armorer told me to do one simple but very very important thing and it fixed both of my P320’s....

You must write internet click bait headlines for your day job.....

5 hours ago, Rich406 said:

You must write internet click bait headlines for your day job.....

Rich - Thanks for your feedback.....Until you try what worked for me, provided as a recommendation by a tenured SIG professional armorer, why post a smart ass response.  Many people, like myself, apply oil or grease to their firearm parts after cleaning and I was one that applied several drops of oil to my striker assembly on my P320’s.....After that I started having light strikes....

Sometimes the solution is simpler than we realize....If you do not want to try what was recommended and worked for me that is your choice but if there are others that can benefit from what I learned then that is why I took the time to post my comments.....And the cost to anyone that wants to try this option is ZERO and the effort is about 10 minutes......Mark