Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi Wadcutter vs Round Nose

jwilkinson6

I have been using coated 200gr SWCs for awhile, but I think I want to try some 230gr RN bullets.

Which bullets/loads are you guys using to make major in your single stack guns? Are they feeding more consistently than SWCs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to use SWC but they don't want to cycle (reliably) in my Large Frame EAA Witness.

I don't have any problems with round nose or hollow point of any flavor.

The last 1500 or so rounds I've used have been coated 200g RN FB from Ibejiheads and they've been flawless

Arthritis in wrists. 230gn twists and hurts. 200gn is a pleasure all day long.

Note: a good L-SWC is about the MOST accurate bullet you will find. A good FMJ-RN is often the most inaccurate bullet you will find. Not necessarily BAD, but not as good.

I've been using copper plated 230gr RN bullets from H&N (of Germany). That's what a local shop has had in stock. I try to stay away from the mess I used to get with a variety of bare lead bullets.

With lead SWC, I sometimes felt that the feeding was a little rough, when racking the slide. My Detonics still managed to chamber them OK.

I'm about to start back up with the H&G68 coated SWC rounds, after a long time with 230gr RN. Since there's no lube ring on these coated ones, they can be loaded to longer OALs - does anyone have a recommendation on OAL for best feeding/chambering?

Yes, I know, for most reliable feeding I should just stay with RN or TC...

And for that matter, how many grains of WST to stay comfortably in Major PF?

I shoot and rotate out 3 Baers and none have reliably ran 185/200WC. I have about 2k of Rainier 200WC and 1500 185 HP that I want to retry again along with 5K of 185WC lead left over from bullseye shooting and some various 10 to 12lb recoil springs.I do run at times 200rn Rainier jacketed and no issues.

currently run BBI 230gr run for the past 12k with no issueswith great accuracy and on my last 8k of the old Tennessee Cartridge company lead bullets. The TCCbullets smoke pretty good with all powders, but are really accurate.. I bought 4K of Montana Gold 6 years ago, but I was not real impressed.. Rainer and Delta 230gr HP gave the very best accuracy, but is cost prohibitive for me even for major matches..

OAL 1.250/1.252 crimp is at.469 all the time.. I use mixed brass and have some old bullseye brass from the 60's and 70's now mixing in with the newer brass..I had one Baer with 112k on it when I cracked the frame, so I got a new frame and bbl and had it rebuilt...

guess you can tell I like the 45ACP..?

Edited by GmanCdp

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, GmanCdp said:

I shoot and rotate out 3 Baers and none have reliably ran 185/200WC. I have about 2k of Rainier 200WC and 1500 185 HP that I want to retry again along with 5K of 185WC lead left over from bullseye shooting and some various 10 to 12lb recoil springs.I do run at times 200rn Rainier jacketed and no issues.

currently run BBI 230gr run for the past 12k with no issueswith great accuracy and on my last 8k of the old Tennessee Cartridge company lead bullets. The TCCbullets smoke pretty good with all powders, but are really accurate.. I bought 4K of Montana Gold 6 years ago, but I was not real impressed.. Rainer and Delta 230gr HP gave the very best accuracy, but is cost prohibitive for me even for major matches..

OAL 1.250/1.252 crimp is at.469 all the time.. I use mixed brass and have some old bullseye brass from the 60's and 70's now mixing in with the newer brass..I had one Baer with 112k on it when I cracked the frame, so I got a new frame and bbl and had it rebuilt...

guess you can tell I like the 45ACP..?

Gman  i had the same issues with one of my Baers , but just recently switched to 185 zero bullets  in the cast swc  the 185 jacketed hollow points and 185 SWCHP some far no issues.

the Baer i have in 9mm thats another story i haven't had much success with that