Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning crushed walnut?

Nimitz

Now that I'm about to expend a lot of 9mm training with my new PCC I've started processing brass again.  I put some new crushed walnut in my vibrating cleaner to get started, along with 2 capfuls of Nupolish like I used.  Unfortunately after only 3 batches the walnut is coated with a nice grey film which gets deposited on all the cases  ...

Is there a clever way to clean crushed walnut or should I be using some other protocol for cleaning brass ....  need some help to relearn this essential part of shooting centerfire again ... lol

Now that I'm about to expend a lot of 9mm training with my new PCC I've started processing brass again.  I put some new crushed walnut in my vibrating cleaner to get started, along with 2 capfuls of Nupolish like I used.  Unfortunately after only 3 batches the walnut is coated with a nice grey film which gets deposited on all the cases  ...

Is there a clever way to clean crushed walnut or should I be using some other protocol for cleaning brass ....  need some help to relearn this essential part of shooting centerfire again ... lol

Add 2 caps of mineral spirits along with that Nu Finish. Problem solved. Change out the media every 4 or 5 batches of brass ( 2-3 k) or when it gets too dirty.

16 hours ago, Red Ryder said:

Add 2 caps of mineral spirits along with that Nu Finish. Problem solved. Change out the media every 4 or 5 batches of brass ( 2-3 k) or when it gets too dirty.

Yep, that odorless mineral spirits (OMS) gets the case insides/primer pockets much cleaner when added to the walnut media.

I add some NuFinish into a prescription sized bottle of OMS, shake it, start the tumbler and pour it in.

I let that run/hydrate for a few minutes before adding the cases.

An added bonus of using OMS is no more dust:huh:

The walnut I use is very fine/sold as Reptile bedding that I buy in a pet store or Walmart, cheap enough to throw out when it gets dirty.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQRGF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:D

Edited by Kenstone

I use Zilla sand (reptile bedding) and I use only one capful of nu-finish.  I have never had any film on the brass.  I lube the cases before putting them in my XL650 case feeder, then throw them back into the tumbler for 10-15 minutes after they are loaded to remove lube.

Wash the walnut in soapy water, let dry for a few days then dose with Nufinish and tumble away. The stuff lasts forever.

To wash the media I put it in an old pillowcase, tie the end closed and immerse in a bucket of hot soapy water, give it some gentle adjitation and then rinse a couple of times in clean water. It may not take 100% of the crap off, but it takes enough !

Dude... get a wet tumbler. I didn’t know anyone in my area that did it years ago, so I went to harbor freight and bought the cheapest wet tumbler I could find. It cost $35. I have used it now for four years, hundreds of thousands of rounds. 50 minutes with dawn and booster... 10 minutes with just water to rinse. Same as dry tumbling for 6-8 hours. 

thx all.  That should get me going. 

3gunDQ:  Might have to look into a wet tumbler ... what's the 'booster' you mentioned?   I stopped that 6-8 hr tumbling nonsense a long time ago as well ... discovered after about 3 hrs brass was as shiny at it was ever going to get but < hr would be even better ...

@Nimitz The booster I use Glisten. Great stuff. I only use about a supercomp case full in a 500 round batch. I did make a custom tube for the tumbler out or PVC and use a Gripper plug for the other end. The tumbler I purchased from harbor freight was the dual can one... the two cans sucked so I built a custom tube with some teasers in it. 

0051438_summit-brands-dishwasher-glisten

Edited by 3gunDQ

6 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

@Nimitz The booster I use Glisten. Great stuff. I only use about a supercomp case full in a 500 round batch. I did make a custom tube for the tumbler out or PVC and use a Gripper plug for the other end. The tumbler I purchased from harbor freight was the dual can one... the two cans sucked so I built a custom tube with some teasers in it. 

0051438_summit-brands-dishwasher-glisten

I also use a custom tube for my HF dual tumbler.  Is this booster anything like lemi shine?

1 minute ago, stick said:

I also use a custom tube for my HF dual tumbler.  Is this booster anything like lemi shine?

It is better. The gentlemen in the ownership and leadership of this company are hunters and 2a people. I meet them in a high class duck hunt in AR and they told me about their products... I mentioned lemmishine to them and what I use it for. When I got home I had a case of that stuff “sample” deliverered for “testing.” It works excellently. 

18 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

It is better. The gentlemen in the ownership and leadership of this company are hunters and 2a people. I meet them in a high class duck hunt in AR and they told me about their products... I mentioned lemmishine to them and what I use it for. When I got home I had a case of that stuff “sample” deliverered for “testing.” It works excellently. 

Where can I find it?  I'm back to tumbling because the lemi shine doesn't work well for me.  I never got my proportions correct and I practically stain the brass.

33 minutes ago, stick said:

Where can I find it?  I'm back to tumbling because the lemi shine doesn't work well for me.  I never got my proportions correct and I practically stain the brass.

I use a squirt of dawn, a 38supercomp case full.

quick google search:

https://www.partsips.com/summit-brands-dishwasher-glisten-detergent-booster-part-dm0616n

It is also available in stores, most up north. Menards has it I, I think. 

Edited by 3gunDQ

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, Nimitz said:

You will get a far better result in your dry tumbler using 1/2 crushed walnut mixed with 1/2 corncob media. Walnut cleans but doesn't really shine. Corncob shines but won't really remove stains, etc. Mixed they do a fantastic job! I add a squirt or two of Flitz. (Some use other cleaner/ shiner additives). It can all be washed. Hot water, 5 gal bucket, Dawn dish detergent. Soak, stir, rinse, repeat, dry on a window screen...

Happy loading.

What I do is cut up a (used) dryer sheet into ~1-1/2 squares and put it in the tumbler along with a cap full or 2 of a 50-50 Nu Finish/mineral spirits mix along with the walnut media. I let the tumbler run about 5 minutes before adding the brass. My brass comes out all clean and shiny after an hour, and I have been using the same media for almost 2 years. The squares of dryer sheet come out almost black and the walnut media stays clean.

I stopped using corn husk and walnut a while ago.  Wet cleaning works well, but the cases stick in the sizing and expanding dies unless I dry tumble them for 30 minutes.  Lemishine, carnuba, nothing works well.

I now use whole grain long grain rice with a drizzle of Dillon case cleaner.    The rice tuns black from the dirt, but holds it.  There is no dust generated and nothing gets deposited on the cases.  The rice just never breaks down.  If you are looking for super shiny, it takes a little longer than new corn cob media, and a little less than with old corn cob.  You could also add a touch more Dillon cleaner to speed the shine up.

I bought an 8 lb. bag figuring I would have to change it as often as Walnut, and I still have all of it left.

I don't clean the rice.  It just gets darker grey.  It doesn't generate any dust, and nothing sticks to the case.  When (if) it starts to break down I'll toss it and fill up with more.  I bought an 8 lb. bag of Nishiki rice from Amazon for around $8.  It has Japaneese all over the bag, but it was grown in LA.          

On 1/27/2018 at 4:00 AM, stick said:

I use Zilla sand (reptile bedding) and I use only one capful of nu-finish.  I have never had any film on the brass.  I lube the cases before putting them in my XL650 case feeder, then throw them back into the tumbler for 10-15 minutes after they are loaded to remove lube.

I find Zilla to produce too much dust.  I like good corn cob most of the time with the Frankfords polish mix but most any polish mix will do.  I have not tried the mineral spirits and I will give that a try.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, zzt said:

I stopped using corn husk and walnut a while ago.  Wet cleaning works well, but the cases stick in the sizing and expanding dies unless I dry tumble them for 30 minutes.  Lemishine, carnuba, nothing works well.

I now use whole grain long grain rice with a drizzle of Dillon case cleaner.    The rice tuns black from the dirt, but holds it.  There is no dust generated and nothing gets deposited on the cases.  The rice just never breaks down.  If you are looking for super shiny, it takes a little longer than new corn cob media, and a little less than with old corn cob.  You could also add a touch more Dillon cleaner to speed the shine up.

I bought an 8 lb. bag figuring I would have to change it as often as Walnut, and I still have all of it left.

I decided to Replace my Zilla sand and try the long grain rice.  WOW! did it clean and shine the cases.  I added a capful of nu-finish to the rice.  The only difference is the rice is larger than the walnut/corn cob, so it doesn't drop out as easy when separating the cases and the rice.  I added a step where I first dump the cases into my 9mm sorting bowls to remove most of the rice grains.  I then dump the cases into my rotary media separator to remove the rice from the inside of the cases.  The rice turns black, but no DUST!

I use a 40/60 blend of Lyman Treated Corn Cob and corn blast.  I  use a Lyman Magnum 2500 tumbler (2 of them) and toss in 4 used Bounce dryer sheets.  Change the dryer sheets every load and change the media when it takes 4 hrs to clean the brass.

I don't need the mineral spirits or Nu Finish.

Don't waste time trying to clean the media.

I run mineral oil in walnut then NuFinish in corn. No dust, runs open top, and no need for case lube, it's slick as it comes out. Media lasts for about 20,000 rounds. I get media from a local bird farm, still working on 50lb bags from 10 years ago.

Those using rice, I'm curious how long it lasts, and do you have any issues (assuming you keep this outdoors / in the garage) with bugs feeding on it?

Anyone with a Lyman autoflow tumbler, do not add mineral spirits.  It'll eat the autoflow plug.