Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

quarter circle ten side charger upper

I considered them, briefly, then realized that they were not yet available, were designed for MP5 style magazines and were only sold as a set with their lower.  Oh yea, they were really expensive for the upper/lower combo too.  

Those facts guided me toward the NFA side charger upper and I have been very happy with that. 

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

I considered them, briefly, then realized that they were not yet available, were designed for MP5 style magazines and were only sold as a set with their lower.  Oh yea, they were really expensive for the upper/lower combo too.  

Those facts guided me toward the NFA side charger upper and I have been very happy with that. 

https://www.quartercircle10.com/products/receivers/upper-receivers/side-charger-standard.html

these work with 10/45 and 9/.40 lowers, also colt.

3 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

They are Gibbz Arms uppers with a new/different cocking handle. In the pictures on QC10 site, you can see the Gibbz logo.

I have a Gibbz side charger .223 upper, and it is a nice upper. I am sure the 9mm version will be good as well.

The Gibbz AR9 side charger upper is the same (made by??) the NFA side charging upper.  We have a NFA upper and I just replaced a Matrix upper with a Gibbz upper and they are identical except for a little extra embellishment on the Gibbz. The new QC10 upper is not the same.  

About a month ago I tried to order one from qc10 and was told they were not available yet. They told me to call gibbz as it would be the same as theirs if I wanted one asap. Drove down the street and picked one up from gibbz.

Edited by echotango

Hello: I like the idea of the side charger and had a Matrix one on an upper I sold. The truth is if I have a jam I want to look in the breech to make sure the round comes out and if there is anything else going on in there. I am sticking with a standard charging handle upper with a Raptor charging handle. Anyone buying any QC10 product they are top shelf. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Are there any advantages, or disadvantages, in using a side charged upper? Weight, ease of operation, etc.

Inquiring minds gotta know. 

From my recent research, they seem to be heavier by a few ounces.

20 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

They are Gibbz Arms uppers with a new/different cocking handle. In the pictures on QC10 site, you can see the Gibbz logo.

I have a Gibbz side charger .223 upper, and it is a nice upper. I am sure the 9mm version will be good as well.

Why does Gibbz need to change the cam pin for their side charging uppers?

The Gibbz AR9 side charger upper is the same (made by??) the NFA side charging upper.  We have a NFA upper and I just replaced a Matrix upper with a Gibbz upper and they are identical except for a little extra embellishment on the Gibbz. The new QC10 upper is not the same.  

The Gibbz side charging upper is the original that NFA and orhee licensed uppers are based on. Gibbz is the patent holder and they’ve continued to upgrade their solution which is the nicest on the market. Matrix ca no longer sell theirs after having been sued by Gibbz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primary advantage of a side charger (to me) is that it makes unloaded table starts faster, smoother and more consistent. 

If you are already accustomed to having a slide racker on your pistol, operating the side charger is second nature. 

It also makes ULSC and locking back the bolt to insert the flag a lot easier and smoother than the usual charging handle.

IMO, if you are having consistent jams, to where being able to clear the gun without dismounting it is an significant advantage,

you need to fix the problem with the gun to eliminate the jams in the first place.  The side charger is not going to replace having

a reliable gun. 

14 hours ago, L9X25 said:

The primary advantage of a side charger (to me) is that it makes unloaded table starts faster, smoother and more consistent. 

If you are already accustomed to having a slide racker on your pistol, operating the side charger is second nature. 

It also makes ULSC and locking back the bolt to insert the flag a lot easier and smoother than the usual charging handle.

Yeh, switching from a open gun with a slide racker, the side charger upper feels natural to me.

Also received mine today.  Awesome quality and machining.  All lines match my QC 10 lowers perfect.  Really smooth operation and finish.  A part of me wishes that the charging handle was even slightly larger or stuck out a little more.  Pending the handguard your running the latch can get a little hidden or trapped.

On my QC 10 Glock lower no issue as that upper has a Taccom  Ultralight Carbon handguard.  On my Colt upper I was running a UTG rail but it will not fit the QC10 side charging upper because it needs to over lap on to the upper.  Most of the other rails I have lying around are a little more tactical and too wide for my liking shielding the side charging handle.

Any one have any thoughts on a narrow rail?  Would like to keep the width near 1 1/2 - 1 5/8.  Dont really want to run anotherTaccom as I am now looking for something a little different.

10 hours ago, crossgun said:

Also received mine today.  Awesome quality and machining.  All lines match my QC 10 lowers perfect.  Really smooth operation and finish.  A part of me wishes that the charging handle was even slightly larger or stuck out a little more.  Pending the handguard your running the latch can get a little hidden or trapped.

On my QC 10 Glock lower no issue as that upper has a Taccom  Ultralight Carbon handguard.  On my Colt upper I was running a UTG rail but it will not fit the QC10 side charging upper because it needs to over lap on to the upper.  Most of the other rails I have lying around are a little more tactical and too wide for my liking shielding the side charging handle.

Any one have any thoughts on a narrow rail?  Would like to keep the width near 1 1/2 - 1 5/8.  Dont really want to run anotherTaccom as I am now looking for something a little different.

Cut the tabs off on the UTG handguard that over lap the receiver.

Done.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, crossgun said:

Nordic components makes a narrow rail for 22 and blowback and is 1 1/2 wide. I use it and I like the small width. It’s only 12.5 inches long but works fine