Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gloves

Topgeer

So winter is finally arriving in Louisiana.  I'm looking for a very thin pair of gloves to shoot in.  They need to be thin because I have small hands so they barely fit my 2011 now.  Don't need to be super warm as it doesn't get that cold just really something to block wind and not have to grab a cold gun.  

If you have to shoot in gloves you're better off staying home for the match.

if you want to keep your hands and gun warmer, I've found golf mittens, especially titleist mittens to be great. You can put hand warmers in them if it's actually cold out.

You can also put a hand warmer in you grip while not shooting to keep the gun loose and not have to grab a cooler gun.

I'm actually curios if you can find or buy hand warmers in Louisiana though as your winter temps are out fall or spring temps in CO and summer temps up north?... 

Only kinda pokin fun!!

So winter is finally arriving in Louisiana.  I'm looking for a very thin pair of gloves to shoot in.  They need to be thin because I have small hands so they barely fit my 2011 now.  Don't need to be super warm as it doesn't get that cold just really something to block wind and not have to grab a cold gun.  
PIG Full Dexerity Tactical (FDT) Alpha or Delta gloves

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You can also put a hand warmer in you grip while not shooting to keep the gun loose and not have to grab a cooler gun.

A guy did this and forgot on an unloaded start last weekend. Funny, but not a great stage start.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I've always avoided shooting with gloves on; too worried about the inevitable changes to the hand/grip interface.   I just compensate by keeping heavy gloves on every moment I'm not shooting, to keep my hands as warm as possible and ready for the brief exposure to cold.

i'll just add that if you want to start shooting with gloves, then you might want to do some practice shooting with those gloves.  had to dq someone last winter with an AD that he contributed to wearing gloves.  and had a really good shooter at a recent COLD match wear gloves (without practicing) and not shoot anywhere near his usual high finishes.

I use "Copper Fit" fingertip gloves (they cover the whole hand except the fingertips) all year round. Initially they were chosen because my hands were tender while I was going through chemotherapy, but I still wear them after that was done with. You can get them at Walgreens pretty cheap. They are only one thin layer thick but they protect from cold wind and they are quite tacky on my STI grip. On cold days I put a bigger pair of gloves over them or stick my hands in the pockets of my "waiting for my turn" jacket with a hand warmer in each pocket. Keeps my arthritic hands loose. :D

I have used these during cold shoots with no problems.  Since I save my shotgun shells when I open my trap gun,  I have almost always used gun gloves and am very comfortable shooting pistol with them as well but I am also only a B shooter, there might be some issues for better shooters.  

https://www.thegunglove.com/

I also really like these.  https://boytharness.com/product/shotgunners-gloves/

I’ll secong the PIG gloves. I wear Mechanix at work but the PIG Alpha touch are amazing to shoot in, just wish they would last as long as the Mechanix and were not as expensive. The Magpul gloves are pretty good too but hard to get on / off quickly. 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Topgeer said:

I just wear mittens until its time to shoot, take them off and shoot, then put them back on.  Of course winters in Louisiana are different.

I'm in the "wear gloves until it is my turn" camp. I also leave my gun cover on until the last moments possible, with hand warmers inside it to keep the gun warmer.

Also as a fun aside, putting hand warmers inside the magwell is not technically legal in USPSA.

I have really bad arthritis in my hand, I keep my decently warm gloves on until it's my turn to shoot, then take them off for the 20 seconds and put them back on. I do the same thing with my jacket because I hate shooting in jackets. 

On 11/30/2017 at 9:04 PM, Djp55 said:

I have really bad arthritis in my hand, I keep my decently warm gloves on until it's my turn to shoot, then take them off for the 20 seconds and put them back on. I do the same thing with my jacket because I hate shooting in jackets. 

That's what I did for gator.  I have bad arthritis as well and it was freezing. That actually what made me think more about trying find some I like