Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide

Mike Dame

Yup, it's a winner there.  I use it.

As an extreme example...  I've read that Jake Kempton (of Accuracy Speaks fame) basically fills his upper reciever with grease (don't know what kind) and keeps it that way.  He rarely, if ever cleans the grease out, but just keeps the stuff gooked in there.  (This is at least according to what I remember reading in Glen Zediker's book - one you should definitely read.  http://www.zediker.com)  So, based on that, I'd say greasing up your upper is perfectly legit.  

My "expert" (yeah, right...) opinion is to stick with #1 SG.  #3 might be a little much sticktion up there for reliable function.

E

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried a lot of lube options and have decided to stay with light-medium oils, in & on the bolt carrier for my open rifle. It lets me clean everything real fast with no muss & fuss, and allows for semi-dry running in real gritty/sandy conditions. I would not want to get a lot of dust into a heavily greased upper receiver. That’s lapping compound.

Where I do use lithium greases or SlideGlide is in the buttstock spring cavity. This I keep well greased and only clean and re-pack once in a great while. It really cuts down on operating clatter, and smooths out the cycling impulse a bit too.

I only lube the bearing areas where the bolt carrier is actually contacting the upper receiver (inspect the wear marks). Use lots in non-gritty conditions. Use minimal lube and clean often in gritty conditions. I use BreakFree (or anything similar) for all bolt lubrication. Keep putting a few drops of lube in the bolt carrier holes as you shoot and it will keep the bolt from getting hinky as carbon builds up.

I tried the heavy grease routine in my HBAR for Hi-Power shooting. It was OK with full on gas systems and hefty loadings (S69 @ 2800fps) in that venue. When I used my HBAR for IPSC I soon found that it was not as slick for many reasons  :-)

At the moment I am using MolySlide (NECO) on my HBAR bolt carrier, with the buttstock spring cavity full of SlideGlide and BreakFree on the bolt lugs and rings. Hows that for a mongrel method of lubrication! Haven't done anything but dribble some breakfree into the bolt carrier holes and swab the barrel out for quite a while now.

For my JP rifle, I use lithium grease in the spring cavity, JP#1 lube on the lo-mass bolt carrier, and JP#2 inside the bolt and on the locking lugs. The upper receiver and bolt assembly are cleaned and re-lubed every 150-200 rounds. This regimen has given me 100% reliability with properly sized ammo.

The bottom line is function. If the rifle runs reliably, then the lubrication method doesn't matter that much.

I am wondering what other folks favorite lubrication recipes might be.

(Edited by George at 10:31 pm on Oct. 8, 2002)

(Edited by George at 8:48 am on Oct. 9, 2002)

(Edited by George at 11:21 am on Oct. 9, 2002)

Yeah I used #1. Worked fine in practice until it got dirty after many hundreds of rounds. Clean gun choked bad 30-something rounds into the nationals. Has run fine before and since then with Kellube.

Nothing against SG, and maybe it didn't cause my problems, but I won't be using it in that rifle anymore. I 'll use it everything else I can, though.

There are lots and lots of excellent lubes on the market these days, no doubt.

But I must be a throwback cause I've been using the stuff in the olive drab plastic bottle as outlined in the Army issued comic book maintenance manual from the 60's... "All the way with LSA for your sweet 16". Has always worked great and costs a couple of bucks for enough to last a "good long time".

Nice tip on grease lubing the recoil spring tube. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I have and love it.  The only place I still use liquid  is at the connector lube point.  I use a generous amount of SG on the slide rails, frame rails, barrel lug, recoil rod, and spring.  SG really smooths the gun up nicely.  

Asked (couple of months ago)  for Brian's  advice wich Slide Glide to use for my gun and my region

(G35, the Netherlands)

I 'am sorry i ordered some weeks back the #3, should have don that earlier! Works great. Just like Chris Patty  says. I also used  it on the connector.

If #1 works even better on the connector i should try that also.

Great stuff Brian

DVC

Adrie

Erik,

BTW, the best way to lube the connector is to strip the trigger group out of the gun.  I just seem to get the best results that way w/o getting goop slopped all over the gun.  (I use SG on my connector and like it, a lot.)

E

• 2 months later...

I want to start using slide glide in my wifes limited gun, but not sure which one to go with. The gun is hard chromed and still fairly tight. I am thinking about using #1 but here in lower Alabama we shoot year round in temps anywhere from 50 to 90 degrees. Will #1 still work in the higher temps or should I buy #3 also and just switch to it for the higher temps.  

I've run #3 up here in Indiana for a little over a year.  The only problem I've had with it is when it gets below 35 or so, then it gets sluggish.  I'd say #3 would work well for you, but it really is a matter of opinion as to how you like your gun to "feel" during recoil.  I'd say go ahead and buy both #1 and #3 and experiment.  I don't think either would be a bad choice.

Ok for the warm end. As far as up north in Montana (it sucks up here DON"T MOVE UP):),  I use #2 in my SV and it is fine down to 20 F or so, but my SA single will start to slow down about 30 F. I put the Slide glide in my 1100 and it works great there too. Nate

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and just buy all three of them. I've been wanting to try the new lite version in my open gun any way and I'll experiment between the other two for her gun. The only problem is that any time I try something new in her gun she starts telling me I better not break it, eventhough she usually likes the way it shoots afterward. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Also remember your gun never really warms up at a winter match.

I got the slide glide light to work in my open blaster just fine for practice, but she stuttered a little on the first shot of each stage and I had to go begging for oil at our last match.

I'll use less glide and more oil next time it's below freezing.

(When I was testing the light glide, Brian warned me no grease would work well below freezing)

SA