Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide

Mike Dame

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you fearless teacher.  Will give it a go.  btw I realized halfway through a match yesterday that I had used #3 on my standard gun instead of the #1.  I think the gun was a little slower cycling?  Is this accurate, or induced by forgetting my hat and shooting without proper head cover?  My standard gun is a very tight STI Edge .45 (everyone tells me to switch to .40 but I love the feel of .45 and the big holes help).

Thoughts?

Ross

Ross,

Number 3 will definitely slow down the cycling of any gun. Most Open guns won't run with it all. (Did you read the "propaganda" on the Slide-Glide page?)

If your gun is tight, I'd run #1 or a "blend" of the two...

be

Yes master, I read the propaganda.  What I didn't read was the fershlugginer label on the container at midnight with the lights off, just kinda grabbed it and noticed afterward (the next morning while finishing packing to leave).

Will go back to #1.  Mixing is all well and good unless you are chemically challenged.  More explosions per square foot in chem lab than my fellow students resulted in the lifetime ban for mixing much other than pancake batter.

Thanks for the clarity.

Ross

I could make comments about my aging eyes, but the fault for mixing up the containers is all mine for thinking I could see in the dark.  Changing the mark might help, but a little tub that said "I'm #1" or "I'm #3" next time I'm rushing about could help.  Or I could just pay attention.

No worries man.  I rarely make the same mistake more than eight or nine times.

hardehar

Ross

• 9 months later...

Wow,

I have been using slide glide for the past few months. I will admit to being a compulsive person...I almost always clean a gun after shooting it. I finally decided to give slide glide a long test period (for me). I shot over 1000 rounds thru the gun over about a week's period...the gun worked great. I looked at the internals and about died...it looked terrible...but worked great.

I couldn't take any more...had to clean the gun...what a mess...I believe Brian when he states that he has put over 5000 rounds between cleanings...but beware the mess...I had the nastiest mess over several paper towels before done.

Thanks Brian...slide glide is great...I love the way the gun shoots and if I can get my courage up I may go months between cleaning the gun!!

Ed Harte

I just had to chime in here.

I got slide glide too and it works great for me.  It's messy as all hell but it is worth it.  (I really hate to clean my guns even though I know I should).

I'll be picking up a new tub when my old one wears (which won't be for awhile).

Brian, you goofed up by making a product that lasts a long time.  You should have made something that works great but you have to change it everyday.  :)

The one thing I've noticed about using Slide Glide is that it's LESS messy than anything else I've used.  Yeah, it's sticky, but if I put in on the slide rails, it's still exactly where I put it 1000 rounds later.  Slide Glide even "fixes" "finicky" guns.  The guy that sold me my STI moaned about how it was so fouling sensitive and had to be cleaned all the time.  Yeah, right...

The only thing "wrong" was the lube.  Good grease fixed everything.  With that, I don't plan on cleaning anything until the puppy jams.  

Thanks Brian.

E

Sirs

i got my slide glide, book,little brush. i do not want to get you started be however i would like to know what redoil is. i did a search and found i can buy "trigger slick" from http://www.chip mccormickcorp.com. Brownells did not list it.hope this helps.i will try slide glide on my Springfield and report on it's effectiveness.  

Got my #1 and #3 today.  Boy, you guys weren't s**tin'!

I gooped up my open gun, and it feels like it got an accurizing job!  Waydago, Brian!  I can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.

Something I noticed right away that I don't recall hearing before.....not only does it not move, it doesn't come off.......anything!  Great stuff!

for the record, i have been using it for a few months

the first night i had it on the gun at the range i was showing the other guys and they couldn't figure what the heck i was talking about, the said you have to oil guns not grease them - oh well,  i don't mind beating them

BE

I am currently using SG #1 on my Kimber should i be using SG #3 I am using a 12lb recoil spring cut to fit.

So I dont want to slow the slide down to much. The gun functions well no malfunctions for 2800 rds

Bruce Keeler

Hey guys,

I am happily using the slide glide...cleaning the guns only occasionally. The question I have is:  since I live in South Carolina with lots of humidity, should I at least oil the barrel each time after shooting to prevent rust?

Ed Harte

Does SG#1 break down when used in temps that are above 80?  When I shoot during july and august the temp sometimes goes that high but for the majority of the time I shoot it is well below that.  Should I bother getting the #3 SG?  The SG would be used in a tight Para .40  and a loose 38 super Para.

OK, I know I'm not Brian, but here it goes...

Basically, the viscosity of grease or oil is temperature dependent, so it sounds like if you want to slow down your slide on hot days, you should bump up to #3. None of the greases are going to "break down" any any temperature your gun sees. You certainly won't experience any damage or abnormal wear due to the viscosity loss.

E

I started using it a few weeks ago, and my pistols seem to cyccle better.  I seem to acquire the next target a shade faster.  This is both at indoor range practice and outdoor matches.

I don't know whether its the SG or i'm getting a touch better, or the SG is giving me one less thing to "worry" about, but I've been quite pleased since switching to it.

• 4 months later...