Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide

Mike Dame

I had to work at the range all day Saturday and got to try out the Slide Glide #3. Found out what Brian said was true. The first time you try it you will make a mess. But I will tell you this, it works. I first tried it on my Kimber. I could tell a big diffrence in the recoil and over all proformance. Want quicker splits, try some. I had to demo a combat course I had set up for some newbies in LE. I tried it first with out them present and with out Slide Glide. Then demo it with them watching and with Slide Glide. I knocked 10 sec. off my time. Yea I know the second time I was more familiar with the course. But the second time the targets were changed around and I had to combat load a SG the first time I didnt. The timer showed quicker splits, quicker target to target time and quicker steel plate time. Which all means a quicker recovery time. I then tried some Slide Glide on my G35 connector. Improved the smoothness of the trigger tremendously. If you havent tried some get it now and see for your self. You want be sorry. ;)

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 8:46 pm on June 3, 2001)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got it in.  Man that is some strange lookin shit.  Red snot in a plastic container.  I actually took a long wooden Q-tip and broke the cotten ends off.....just goo it on.  It is some slick stuff.  I'll be shooting it tonight.  

Brian.....any dealer pricing if I wanted to stock in the gun shop??

Great Stuff!  I have spent days going through all my guns and using the Slide Glide on them.  It's real nice too since it stays in place, especially for my carry gun.  We are also working on buying some and placing in the Gun Shop hear in Orlando (Winter Park) FL.

Brian, Do you put the SG on any place you would put oil? (Like the sear, disconector, etc.) I took my 1911 completely apart today and wouldnt you know it something came up so I had to put all the parts in my bag and now I hope I can get it back together. But before I do wanted to break out the SG.

Paul,

Ok, you got me on the hammer hooks. It's OK to use it there; however, after a days worth of testing with every grease/lube imaginable, I've found the best thing for hammer hooks is what I call "Chippylube." It's a moly based grease, I think it's sold as Trigger Slick. It is made by Chip McCormick, hence the name. For that particular application, it is the best there is. The reason is, (if you are familiar with the inner workings of the 1911 style action,)  the sear actually pushes the grease back into the hammer hooks everytime the gun fires/cycles. Slide-Glide is not made for a "shearing" application, it is made for rotating or cycling parts - because of it's stringy characteristic, it drags itself back into these areas. In top end applications, the chippylube "pushes out" quite quickly.

Now, you may never notice any difference between SG and CL when you use them on your sear/hammer. Probably, you will not. The only reason I went to the trouble to clarify is that I'm very sensitive to trigger pull, and being the fanatical type, I always want to know what is the absolute best. Also, I was testing on a 1 lb. trigger, and the difference was only an ounce or two, so with a heavier trigger, it's probably not worth messing with. (Like an ounce or two is worth messing with anyway.)

be

Brian,

You fanatical?  No way!  LOL  Actually I do know the inside of 1911 very well.  I have spent days working on a trigger until it felt just right.  We have all the jigs at the shop, but to be honest I could throw all that out and do it by hand.  After I applied the SG on the hammer hooks it did feel a little different.  I did not measure the trigger pull after I applied SG, it was right at 1 pound before.  I'm also going to talk with "the boss man" about stocking the SG and see how it sells.  You know, one for the customers, one for me!  

Who sells or carries Chippylube? I'm kinda sensitive to the trigger pull too and I've played with a huge variety of lubes. Right now I'm trying one from the Home Depot called Super Lube, its a PTFE based clear grease.

Pat

Pat I use that stuff all the time at work for greasing small gears and such.  Radio Shack use to carry it, they still do but call it Multi-purpose lube gel.  It doesn't have the same warning about body parts as Brians gives with the Slide Glide (hehe).

I have found that Neco's Moly Slide (I believe that name is correct) is even better than chippylube. It is VERY slick. The High Power rifle shooters such as David Tubb use this stuff a lot from what I understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat,

I pump 'er up, full of the stuff. Maybe more than you might think. But then, I never clean my blasters.... I'm thinking of a grease zirk....

be

BTW, don't try this at the match.

Ok since I love how the gun feels and handles with SG1, what would be recommended for my ARs?  IMLE Ars don't like a lot of lube.   I also have a Springfield M1A Scout that sounds like a $3 alarm clock on amphetamines every time it cycles.  Since I am basically incompetent with maintaining the M1A any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Ross