Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom ULW 9 mm barrel.....

6 hours ago, ar15rick said:

So I just got a new taccom ULW barrel with the new extreme feed ramp. Taccom stated on their website that hollowpoints would work with this.  Well it didnt work on my barrel. I tried 2 different ammo with it. Some Winchester 147 grain hollowpoints and some Atlanta arms 115 match hollow points. Neither ammo would feed consistently into the chamber. So I am going to try some round nose bullets. What loads, powder weight, bullets, do you all recommend. I have this barrel with the taccom buffer system. I need to see what feels the best for this barrel and buffer combo. 

thanks

We do state that the barrel will give you the best chance of hollow points working......of any barrel out there. For the most part, it really has a lot to do with a combination of where the mag is being held in conjunction to the barrel.......we've had zero issues with qc10, JP, Angstadt......however, the cheaper lowers like New Frontier, RunnerRuner, etc.....can give you fits with any barrel. If you have one of the cheaper lowers, look up how people are shimming those up so that the magazine is presented and has less play in the mag well.

Tim

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TRUBL said:

We do state that the barrel will give you the best chance of hollow points working......of any barrel out there. For the most part, it really has a lot to do with a combination of where the mag is being held in conjunction to the barrel.......we've had zero issues with qc10, JP, Angstadt......however, the cheaper lowers like New Frontier, RunnerRuner, etc.....can give you fits with any barrel. If you have one of the cheaper lowers, look up how people are shimming those up so that the magazine is presented and has less play in the mag well.

Tim

I wasn't aware of that. I have a new frontier, so anyknody have any ideas on how to shim those up to make the mag work properly and present the round the way it is supposed to? 

11 hours ago, ar15rick said:

What do you do with those or where do you put them? Shim stock? Sorry I dont know what that is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

back of the Magwell 
- nearest to the trigger guard 
- I run a couple strips of 3M vinyl(what people use to wrap cars), on the back(primer side) of the mag where it contacts the Magwell

also, try running shorter OAL's, and tuning the feedlips

basically need to treat it like an open gun, and get the bullet point either at the  chamber, or at the bare minimum, top 1/3 of the ramp.

• 3 months later...

So ressurecting this thread because I'm looking into getting one, but is there a general rule of thumb with buffer change with an ULW barrel?  Should one look to go with a heavier or lighter buffer than what was with a longer barrel?  Thx.

We run the Taccom 3-stage buffer with stock springs in both my 14.5" JP pinned barrel & my granddaughters ULW barrel. There is a slight change in felt recoil against my shoulder, but no real change in dot movement running the same ammo right at 130PF.

gerritm

On 1/3/2019 at 3:12 AM, mmlook said:

back of the Magwell 
- nearest to the trigger guard 
- I run a couple strips of 3M vinyl(what people use to wrap cars), on the back(primer side) of the mag where it contacts the Magwell

also, try running shorter OAL's, and tuning the feedlips

basically need to treat it like an open gun, and get the bullet point either at the  chamber, or at the bare minimum, top 1/3 of the ramp.

I have a NFA lower also, could you post a picture of this mod?

14 hours ago, JZELEK said:

I have a NFA lower also, could you post a picture of this mod?

Not really a "mod"

more of the easiest way to fit the mags to the NFA magwell

I've had maybe 2-3 malfunctions in the past 1500 rounds using this setup

IMG_5279.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, TRUBL said:

not true.......it's the base corner of the bullet, as it exits the barrel, the gases will cut that lead making it molten.....and then it will cool down on the shroud. that you are not getting any lead built up with 147 cast is interesting, might be a little less pressure. the 124 FMJ after 10K rounds has zero lead build up 

Again, a necropost....but I pretty much exclusively shoot Blazer Brass out of my PCC's, which (IIRC) has a fully-plated bullet, including the base.  I know that in my pistols I don't seem to get any lead buildup, just normal fouling which is cleaned out pretty easily.  Should this bullet also help avoid buildup in the ULW shroud?

This rig swings really fast with so little weight forward of the receiver.  Really looking forward to shooting steel/plates with it.

ULW.jpg

ULW2.jpg

9fb28c08ed645f908bb1fc2b102602f302e4de20

Edited by MoRivera

Shot about 100 rds earlier tonight sighting in a dot. Really didn't notice much difference in recoil or even for dot movement compared to my MBX 14.5" with brake.  Even doubles were pretty much the same, although I'm no speed demon. 

Big difference is obviously weight and swinging much faster (and louder).  Very cool, looking forward to steel.

Edited by MoRivera
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old post but will chime in a bit.

Running the Taccom complete ULW upper with their 3 stage buffer system on a PSA lower with a trigger swap.

Around 8k through the gun, 2k 124gr Xtreme Plated and 6k RMR 124gr JHP.

I have had 0 issues with the JHP in mine.  They are loaded quite short (1.06" OAL) and feed just fine.  Accuracy is exceptional.  Group size at 50 yards was smaller than group at 25 with the Xtremes.

I just picked my PCC up for the first time since last year today for a Steel Challenge match.  I really missed shooting it but if I continue shooting it my pistol skills are going to suffer even more 😂. I shot PCC all of last year and my pistol skills these first few matches was down right terrible.  Though I love it so much I might just pick it back up and make it my main USPSA gun.

Shot mine at a steel match this morning.  It ran great, but I think I need to try a lighter buffer (in my case the lighter Kynshot RB5000, instead of the heavier 5005 I have in there now), as the cycling felt a bit more sluggish than when I have my 14.5" barrel on.  I'm guessing less back pressure or something with the shorter barrel.

3 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Shot mine at a steel match this morning.  It ran great, but I think I need to try a lighter buffer (in my case the lighter Kynshot RB5000, instead of the heavier 5005 I have in there now), as the cycling felt a bit more sluggish than when I have my 14.5" barrel on.  I'm guessing less back pressure or something with the shorter barrel.

What spring are you using?

Lighter one maybe?

I'm using a .308 carbine spring.  The feeling is somewhat similar to when I shoot 147 grain, slower loads...a little more muzzle rise and just a rounder/slower cycle compared to the snappier 115-grain factory loads.  I don't mind the jolt of recoil so much, it's more the longer cycle and muzzle rise.

The best combination I’ve found is the taccom 3 stage buffer and the rifle spring. And no, I don’t have a rifle length buffer tube.

however, before you run out at purchase anything new, stay tuned because a brand new type of system is coming out soon and it’ll trump everything currently on the market, and it won’t be outrageously priced either.

Nick is right.......we are working on a new delayed blow back system for the 9mm AR platform that will work with any bolt that has a .625" hole in the back. We've been testing it for a few weeks here. Ran the slide by magnets in a 10,000 cycle test with 100% success. We've got prototypes out for testing and things are going well......we hope to have this out within a month or so.

341310562_newdesigndelayed.jpg.9691ba9c2f35ad3d0a8d96973665241e.jpg

There is absolutely nothing on the market for the blow back platform that will be as soft as this.

Edited by TRUBL
On 5/6/2019 at 9:55 AM, TRUBL said:

Nick is right.......we are working on a new delayed blow back system for the 9mm AR platform that will work with any bolt that has a .625" hole in the back. We've been testing it for a few weeks here. Ran the slide by magnets in a 10,000 cycle test with 100% success. We've got prototypes out for testing and things are going well......we hope to have this out within a month or so.

341310562_newdesigndelayed.jpg.9691ba9c2f35ad3d0a8d96973665241e.jpg

There is absolutely nothing on the market for the blow back platform that will be as soft as this.

I'm assuming it's a short stroke setup?

Oh crap, there goes my wallet again...

It can be normal stroke or short stroked......both stops will be included. But the main thing is that it is a delayed blowback system.....keeps the bolt closed for just a little longer, allowing for a lighter recoil system, flat wire carbine spring. The bolt comes back at the same speed once it gets going.......but due to less mass, you will have less felt recoil and less dot bounce. Basically it's a lot smoother feeling too.

We also have a stop for the new super short stroke bolt that we will be coming out with in the near future as well.