Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom ULW 9 mm barrel.....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2017 at 12:07 PM, L9X25 said:

No, it just means that you would only gain about 40fps by having an additional 10" of barrel.  The average gain would be 4fps/inch beyond the 8".

The 8" barrel gives you ~1,050fps and the 18" gives you ~1,090fps.

Makes sense?

Same load in 16" PCC has velocity increase of 82 fps over velocity in my Glock 34.  Same load both guns but 7.4 fps increase per barrel inch increase.

Makes sense to me.   

37 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Having trouble finding data for Solo 1500.   Possibly Solo 1000?  Thanks.

Scot Solo made several powders to cover a wide range of loads: Royal Scot, Pearl Scot, 1000, 1250 and 1500.  Royal Scot is similar to Bullseye and they get progressively slower from there.  I have loading data for several calibers and, in general, 1500 is very similar to AA#5.  Close enough that you could use AA#5 starting data and be on the safe side.  Solo usually takes slightly more to reach similar velocities. 

ETA:  I think that sales of many of the powders were not brisk and they cut back the product line to the point that I think that 1000 is the only one still available here.

Edited by L9X25
  • 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 4:58 PM, Doublek said:

Bigbamboo

21mm diamond hole saw (4$ on amazon)drill bit ext.. i have a pic but too large to post.. works well 

Has anyone tried this yet?       Did you turn the bit with a power drill or twist it by hand?

Did it work and do you recommend it?

My practice range does not allow jacketed or plated bullets so I'm stuck with coated bullets for practice.   Currently when shooting coated bullets I run a 12 gauge mop coated with welder's anti-splatter down the tube.every 50 rds or so and see no build up of plastic or lead,  Not a lot of rounds shot yet but all I see so far is just a little carbon.

Thanks.

someone.......found a pvc pipe at his local hardware store that fits down the shroud.....they 'cut' teeth in the end of it and hand turn it down the bore of the shroud.....fits and works perfect!!

Edited by TRUBL
5 hours ago, TRUBL said:

someone.......found a pvc pipe at his local hardware store that fits down the shroud.....they 'cut' teeth in the end of it and hand turn it down the bore of the shroud.....fits and works perfect!!

I checked out some scraps in the garage and found that 1/2" Schedule 40 (1160) slips right into the tube. Its 0.842" OD.

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
On 12/31/2017 at 9:47 AM, Doublek said:

21mm hole saw9175789E-607F-4E5D-9E88-68E8E775204D.thumb.jpeg.0576342351d01f3c2f58d0720c5c8003.jpeg

Do you hand turn it or run  it on a power drill?  How often do you clean out your tube?  Frequently before it builds up or do you wait a few thousand rounds?  Does it work for both lead and the polymer coating that build-up?

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
2 minutes ago, tomv said:

Anything wrong with using jacketed hollow point bullets?

Nothing at all. As a matter-of-fact, Tim has a recommendation on his web site suggesting that coated bullets not be used unless proper shroud cleaning measures are employed in a timely and prudent manner based solely upon the number of rounds fired since cleaning was last done. Then, and only then should the gun be taken to the range and, or, used in competition. Any barrel/shroud cleaning, other than that described in the above text, can, and may, void any and all warranties, guarantees, or assurances thereof, and make replacement of said barrel/shroud combination almost impossible. 

22 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I had the same ???

Doublek advised (via PM) that the saw is 5/16" easily trimmed to 1/4" to fit.

He also suggested to oil it up.

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered the hole saw.  I might just make my own drill rod.  

• 10 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 9:49 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I just ordered the drill extension the same time I ordered the saw.  Cost $8 or so.  It will also work with other projects planned for the future.

What ever happened with this concept to clean the lead from inside the Taccom ULW barrel shrouds?  Have you all followed up and continued to use this process?  Has the lead ring inside the shroud increased since the last posts here?

Lots of our local shooters use these barrels and shoot lead bullets...  They don't worry about the lead.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

What ever happened with this concept to clean the lead from inside the Taccom ULW barrel shrouds?  Have you all followed up and continued to use this process?  Has the lead ring inside the shroud increased since the last posts here?

Lots of our local shooters use these barrels and shoot lead bullets...  They don't worry about the lead.

I seemed to have a bit of buildup in the shroud when I was finishing up a case of Blue Bullets but since then, before shooting I spritz the shroud with some welders anti-splatter spray. Just spray a bit on a 12 gauge cotton swab and give the shroud a few passes.   I'm not shooting this barrel much so it looks like I hit it with the spray every 200 rds or less.

At the same time I started using the spray I switched to Eggleston bullets. 

So far I have not seen and buildup.    Could be the spray or the bullets or a combination of the two.

On occasion I still run the hole saw down the shroud but I'm not seeing it hit any lead or coating,

4 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I seemed to have a bit of buildup in the shroud when I was finishing up a case of Blue Bullets but since then, before shooting I spritz the shroud with some welders anti-splatter spray. Just spray a bit on a 12 gauge cotton swab and give the shroud a few passes.   I'm not shooting this barrel much so it looks like I hit it with the spray every 200 rds or less.

At the same time I started using the spray I switched to Eggleston bullets. 

So far I have not seen and buildup.    Could be the spray or the bullets or a combination of the two.

On occasion I still run the hole saw down the shroud but I'm not seeing it hit any lead or coating,

I do a lot of welding, and had thought about using the spray on my alum comp. on my Taccom tension barrel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I just got a new taccom ULW barrel with the new extreme feed ramp. Taccom stated on their website that hollowpoints would work with this.  Well it didnt work on my barrel. I tried 2 different ammo with it. Some Winchester 147 grain hollowpoints and some Atlanta arms 115 match hollow points. Neither ammo would feed consistently into the chamber. So I am going to try some round nose bullets. What loads, powder weight, bullets, do you all recommend. I have this barrel with the taccom buffer system. I need to see what feels the best for this barrel and buffer combo. 

thanks