Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video of S&W 500 exploding

Tampa-XD45

5 hours ago, alecmc said:

I bet the timing of the cylinder was the culprit ,timed up slow when the primer went off and bullet impacted the forcing cone and blew up. 

I agree. I bet the hand was a little too short looks like it was cocked really slow and out of alignment. I have seen a few revolvers come through the shop where a round was stuck in the barrel and a second was fired - even in .44 mag but the cylinders were still locked closed. 

1. On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, jhgtyre said:

The guy could have weak thumbs but it seems funny that he had to use both thumbs to cock the gun.  I wonder if the cylinder was binding up, for whatever reason, and was misaligned?

If the bullet had worked forward under recoil and was protruding beyond the front of the cylinder, that could explain the effort needed to manually cock the hammer. In the video, as you see the barrel falling down, you can see that the forcing cone has a long split. I suspect that incomplete cylinder indexing is the most likely culprit for this. Good catch on the cocking effort.

1 minute ago, RevolverJockey said:

Assuming you meant angularity, it would be equal to [(2piR)/.120")*360]. This accounts for the farthest off center hit I have seen that still set off the primer. 

Lee

Yep ... moving the bullet past the forcing cone moves the primer past the path of the firing pin ...

Seems like if it were in alignment enough to hit the primer that the bullet would probably go out the hole ... if there were a hole.

In any case ... they were sure well prepared to capture the event on video ... That was pure luck capturing a video like that!! :ph34r: 

• 1 month later...

I love shooting my 500 (for a little while, at least) but I'd love to know average round counts before one has the potential to have these sorts of issues. I know battlefield Las Vegas, a business that rents out guns in LV, says that after having some similar rapid, unplanned disassembled they began replacing barrels every 6 months or so on the 500s.

I'd wager the vast majority of 500s out there probably have yet to crack a hundred rounds. I don't load mine to factory full power status often and I still put it down after 25-30 rounds.