Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI edge- Dawson CRP or Brazos HP tuned?

Covfefe

Starting to get very serious about purchasing an STI edge in 40 for limited.

Would you grab this Dawson CRP (competition ready pistol) for $2,295? Typical upgrades. Assembled and test fired. Chrome finish. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-2011-edge-40-s-w-competition-ready-pistol-hard-chrome-finish/

or this Brazos blued (high performance edge) for $2,400? The upgrades plus they break the whole thing down and tune it with a 3lb break. Not sure what the stock pull would be from Dawson. 

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/HP_Edge.htm

I'm new to 1911's so Brazos appeals to me...seems like they really send it perfected and I don't have the tools or expertise to trouble shoot the gun.

However, Dawson's is respected and assembles the gun, so I guess it'll be GTG too. Cheaper and chrome is sexy, I suppose. 

Help! 

I've got several CRP guns from Dawson's...I've ended up putting a Brazos tuned trigger group in the one I shoot the most. So if the Brazos package includes tuning the trigger group I'd go that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

I've got several CRP guns from Dawson's...I've ended up putting a Brazos tuned trigger group in the one I shoot the most. So if the Brazos package includes tuning the trigger group I'd go that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Thanks for the input. 

I have an Edge CRP in blue. It came with a 3 and 1/2 pound trigger. I tweaked the sear spring and got it down to 2 and 1/2.

That's not a bad thing because while you have it apart you can clean the insides and deburr any rough spots. 

It's also a good time to pin the grip safety, if you are so disposed.

Let me just add that it's also a good time to change some springs, which you'll inevitably have to do with the Edge. I shoot Major with my gun so am currently running a 13 pound recoil spring with a 19 pound mainspring. A good combination.

Edited by MikieM

6 hours ago, MikieM said:

I have an Edge CRP in blue. It came with a 3 and 1/2 pound trigger. I tweaked the sear spring and got it down to 2 and 1/2.

That's not a bad thing because while you have it apart you can clean the insides and deburr any rough spots. 

It's also a good time to pin the grip safety, if you are so disposed.

Let me just add that it's also a good time to change some springs, which you'll inevitably have to do with the Edge. I shoot Major with my gun so am currently running a 13 pound recoil spring with a 19 pound mainspring. A good combination.

Thanks for tips!

dawson had a super-tune package that included some bolt on parts and trigger job and reliability check/work.  i do not believe they offer this anymore, but you should check.  their CRP package is basically bolt on stuff (magwell etc) and no trigger/reliability work.

brazos has their HP pkg which is like dawson's supertune.  so if you want a little personal attention and tweaking vs just bolt on, brazos and their HP pkg is the way to go.

i have a dawson supertune sti eagle 9mm, and a brazos hp .40 edge and both are very awesome.  i also have a few STI 2011's that haven't been touched by gunsmiths, and i installed brazos tuned trigger groups and those are awesome also.

i just bought a bone-stock edge a couple weeks ago, and the trigger is as good as my wife's edge (had a local smith work on it), and as good as any of my competition 1911's. I must have gotten one from a thursday when everyone was in a good mood and working hard.

I prefer the stock magwell over the Ice. I was initially going to have the local guy clean up the trigger, but it turned out to not need it. with no tweaking trigger is in the 2.5 lb range, and very clean.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, Covfefe said:

Starting to get very serious about purchasing an STI edge in 40 for limited.

Would you grab this Dawson CRP (competition ready pistol) for $2,295? Typical upgrades. Assembled and test fired. Chrome finish. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-2011-edge-40-s-w-competition-ready-pistol-hard-chrome-finish/

or this Brazos blued (high performance edge) for $2,400? The upgrades plus they break the whole thing down and tune it with a 3lb break. Not sure what the stock pull would be from Dawson. 

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/HP_Edge.htm

I'm new to 1911's so Brazos appeals to me...seems like they really send it perfected and I don't have the tools or expertise to trouble shoot the gun.

However, Dawson's is respected and assembles the gun, so I guess it'll be GTG too. Cheaper and chrome is sexy, I suppose. 

Help! 

The 1911/2011 platform makes an awesome gun for limited or 3Gun. However, these guns are finicky. You can't just shoot them and not clean/lube them like a Glock. They take attention on a pretty regular basis. It's not hard to do, nor does it take lots of special tools. I have 2 STI Edge pistols. One in .40 S&W that I both new for Limited that I tuned myself and one in 9mm for 3Gun that's a Dawson CRP. I love them both. Just expect to tinker with them more than a plastic fantastic pistol. 

Bought as crp hard chrome edge from dawson.  Love it!  I deburred, pinned the grip safety polished it up , set the trigger to 1 lb 12oz ,  and have absolutely had a blast shooting it!  Had a friend buy a Brazos full custom, but he waited several months and spent about a grand more or so for it.  I bought MBX mags also.  Personally never shot a Brazos, but that's my 2 cents of opinion on the Dawson CRP

6 hours ago, 72stick said:

The 1911/2011 platform makes an awesome gun for limited or 3Gun. However, these guns are finicky. You can't just shoot them and not clean/lube them like a Glock. They take attention on a pretty regular basis. It's not hard to do, nor does it take lots of special tools. I have 2 STI Edge pistols. One in .40 S&W that I both new for Limited that I tuned myself and one in 9mm for 3Gun that's a Dawson CRP. I love them both. Just expect to tinker with them more than a plastic fantastic pistol. 

That's the beauty of the 2011/1911 platform.  You have the opportunity to tinker with it, the joy of tuning it by yourself.  Learning new things are fun and enjoyable with a 2011/1911.  And did I mention that the trigger on this phenomenal pistol is just....well.....phenomenal!

There is no mystery to tuned magazines. It involves no more than keeping them at their proper dimensions, and is easily accomplished by the do-it-yourself gunner.

Spend a hundred bucks and get Dawson's kit and you're off to the races. Keeping your mags at peak performance is very satisfying. ;) 

1 hour ago, Woodsk said:

Read the description of what is part of each package, the CRP is just a couple of parts slapped on. The Brazos is actually worked over. 

This.  I love Dawson Precision but my Brazos HP has been great for >25K rounds

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Concerning the warning about maintenance & "tinkering". Although I'm a glock owner, I clean / lube them every time I shoot, do trigger work, Etc. so TLC wouldn't be a new concept.

I find gratification in understanding and maintaining my guns. I'm just concerned that 2011's are more difficult to DIY. 

I am not a gunsmith nor claim to be. That being said I used to tinker with glocks part by part I traded one for a 2011 slide, frame and barrel that were fit, I ordered all the other parts and started tinkering and ended up with a 100% reliable limited blaster. I will admit at 1st I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it but after I started working on it I found a bunch of help here on Enos and several other sites. So now not an issue to fit parts and take the gun down to separate parts. It has been a great experience. Best of luck any way you go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Covfefe said:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Concerning the warning about maintenance & "tinkering". Although I'm a glock owner, I clean / lube them every time I shoot, do trigger work, Etc. so TLC wouldn't be a new concept.

I find gratification in understanding and maintaining my guns. I'm just concerned that 2011's are more difficult to DIY. 

Absolutely. It's all part of the thing we do.

Dawson does what you would probably have to do anyway. Mag release button, bigger mag well, etc., and Brazos doesn't really do anything special. At least nothing that you couldn't do yourself. 

7 hours ago, MikieM said:

There is no mystery to tuned magazines. It involves no more than keeping them at their proper dimensions, and is easily accomplished by the do-it-yourself gunner.

Spend a hundred bucks and get Dawson's kit and you're off to the races. Keeping your mags at peak performance is very satisfying. ;) 

I'm not saying there is a mystery to tuned mags, I am just saying it is a good deal as they are already put together with the parts (guts and basepads) you would end up buying separately

45 minutes ago, Mike21STI said:

I'm not saying there is a mystery to tuned mags, I am just saying it is a good deal as they are already put together with the parts (guts and basepads) you would end up buying separately

True enough.

And speaking of mags Brazos (1911 Store) has STI Gen 2 .40 S&W mags on sale for $50 a piece. I bought four of them.

Holy crap! You won't believe this, but I just had a knock on the door and it was UPS. The magazines just arrived. Weird.

Edited by MikieM

My experiences...I have. 2 of Dave Dawson's older 9 mm Edges.....back when he was tuning triggers and going over the entire pistol.

I recently learned Dave is no longer doing any modifications other than bolt on.

If I were to purchase another Edge I would try Brazos.....heard nothing but get reviews by owners....just my opinion!

Best of luck with your purchase!

On 8/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, kk4364 said:

I am not a gunsmith nor claim to be. That being said I used to tinker with glocks part by part I traded one for a 2011 slide, frame and barrel that were fit, I ordered all the other parts and started tinkering and ended up with a 100% reliable limited blaster. I will admit at 1st I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it but after I started working on it I found a bunch of help here on Enos and several other sites. So now not an issue to fit parts and take the gun down to separate parts. It has been a great experience. Best of luck any way you go.

Out of curiosity, how much can you save by buying the parts individually and assembling on your own? I am also an AR15 enthusiast and that's obviously the best way to "buy" that platform. 

Not 100% sure the cost of parts and shipping, mostly shoo___conn__ctio_ and d__wso_ if you look at most 1911 builders sights they lay out the price for fitting everything from a front sight to an extractor to a thumb safety. So I figured I saved myself several hundred dollars and most importantly gained the knowledge, and satisfaction. Feels pretty good to run the gun you built.

Out of curiosity, how much can you save by buying the parts individually and assembling on your own? I am also an AR15 enthusiast and that's obviously the best way to "buy" that platform. 

Maybe a little money to be saved but most pistol parts aren't bolt on like AR parts are, most have to be fitted to some extent. Pretty easy to overfit and end up with something that doesn't work any longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Money saved would be the price someone would charge to build the gun. Your cost would be parts and what ever finish you wanted. 

It's not as simple as that, of course. Tooling is required to properly fit some of the parts, and equipment is expensive.

And, don't forget know how. If you don't know how to do it you're not going to be able to do it no how. :)