Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the .45 dead in USPSA?

SyNaPsE

When I started shooting --L10  was where it was.. I shot a les Baer with Wilson mags ,,it's what I had..

then moved to 6 shot revolver loved it,, still shoot L10 , at a match we set up as second gun..(( not uspsa ))

Although not many in l10 any more,,I shoot 3-5 matches a month and can count on one hand the L10 shooters..

So yes 45acp is mostly dead..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/31/2017 at 5:16 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Everyone talks about the magical 10 round magazines in 40 so you can shoot major or minor with the same gun. And yet... I don't think I've ever seen it in reality. People shoot 40 SS guns, sure. But they only shoot them in major with 8 rounds. And, more people shoot 45 in SS than 40 at this point. The advantage of 40 i would think is just in the cost of reloading it: 40 bullets are cheaper than 45s.

OP, you shouldn't even consider L10. Because L10 is a hider division that should be deleted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bad enough that we can't shoot (competitively) in most divisions, let us ban states have Limited 10.  

On 8/1/2017 at 11:50 PM, Hammer002 said:

The 10 round mags are widely prone to feeding issues, especially on slide lock reloads. 

that is news to me. I only have 20k or so rounds through 10rd 45 mags (chip mccormick), but I have yet to have any kind of feed problem with them and my STI trojans.

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

that is news to me. I only have 20k or so rounds through 10rd 45 mags (chip mccormick), but I have yet to have any kind of feed problem with them and my STI trojans.

You should consider yourself lucky.  I thought it was common knowledge you had to retrain yourself not to hit the mag change as hard w the 10 rounders on slide lock so it doesn't jam.  Used to shoot em in my 1911 at a local outlaw type match. We're fine except on reloads, especially slide lock, which happened a lot in those matches.  Remember researching it for a fix and learned it was just part of the territory.

Edited by Hammer002

4 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

You should consider yourself lucky.  I thought it was common knowledge you had to retrain yourself not to hit the mag change as hard w the 10 rounders on slide lock so it doesn't jam.  Used to shoot em in my 1911 at a local outlaw type match. We're fine except on reloads, especially slide lock, which happened a lot in those matches.  Remember researching it for a fix and learned it was just part of the territory.

i've seen overinsertions happen all the time with wilson 10-round mags. I don't see how it would even be possible with CMC. That's why I use CMC.

54 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i've seen overinsertions happen all the time with wilson 10-round mags. I don't see how it would even be possible with CMC. That's why I use CMC.

News to you from one easy Google search:

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/

"Ten round magazines are a bit of a mixed bag with 1911s.  Due to the taller, heavier column of rounds, they create additional issues that you do not get with 8 round magazines.  The top round will tend to nose dive more during feeding, and if your feed ramp is not able to support this, then you will have constant feedway malfunctions, especially on the first round out of the magazine.  Feed lip wear/spread is dramatically accelerated during slide lock reloads, as the column of rounds striking the feed lips is heavier.  Springs can also fatigue much faster in these magazines.  These issues make the 10 round magazine a much bigger maintenance issue and require an extremely diligent user for them to be used successfully.  I have had success with the CMC Power Mag 10 round and Tripp Cobra Mag 10 round, but due to the above issues and shortened service cycles, I do not typically recommend 10 round magazines for most users."

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/chip-mccormick-power-plus-1911-10-round-mag.617124/

"It's not uncommon for the ten rounders to have feeding issues in some pistols. Do a search, and you'll find some threads on it. I'm guessing that the rounds may tend to feed at a slightly different angle due to the different amount of force pushing up on the follower. If that is the case, then ramped vs unramped barrels may help/worsen the situation. I'd call 8 rounders the max for carry, personally, but YMMV. If you do buy some ten rounders, at least prove their function with a lot of rounds downrange before toting them."

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-530714.html

"In General the 10 round 1911 mags stink..."

There is plenty of info and discussion out there if you look, I just quickly picked the first couple of sources I saw.  But you said you have 20,000 flawless rounds or something, so I'm beginning to wonder why we are having the discussion?  But I did the work of finding the info for you, news to you for free.

• 4 weeks later...

Up till now I have shot SSTK almost exclusively (have a sweet Limited gun on the way that will change that soon).  Admittedly, there aren't many of us but the ones that shoot it regularly are overwhelmingly 45.  The current SSTK boss at most of the matches I shoot runs a Trojan 9 mm..........but he just likes 9mm.  Not sure he owns a 45.

I get the convenience of using one load for Lim and SSTK but price isn't that big of a deal.  For reloaders, over the course of buying 10k bullets the difference between 40 and 45 comes to about 70 bucks; for 9 mm I am guessing it would be about 90.  That's lost in the wash of match fees, gas, gun parts, blah, blah, blah. 

Shoot what you want, but 45 is not and never will be dead in the US.  Not while we have a SSTK division.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:59 AM, Hammer002 said:

News to you from one easy Google search:

There is plenty of info and discussion out there if you look, I just quickly picked the first couple of sources I saw.  But you said you have 20,000 flawless rounds or something, so I'm beginning to wonder why we are having the discussion?  But I did the work of finding the info for you, news to you for free.

sounds like fake news to me. I no longer compete with 10-rounders regularly (since L10 is dumb), but I still use them regularly for practice, and I am unable to figure out a way to get them to malfunction.

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

45 is too expensive to shoot.  The boolits cost too much even with reloading

1-2 cents more than 40? that's a LOT less than the difference between driving my truck to the range vs driving my little car, and that is not enough to make me think twice about it. Like $2-3 per range day. Must suck to be poor. ;)

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

1-2 cents more than 40? that's a LOT less than the difference between driving my truck to the range vs driving my little car, and that is not enough to make me think twice about it. Like $2-3 per range day. Must suck to be poor. ;)

I only shoot 9 major out of my open gun anyway. I pay $0.15 per loaded round (projectile, powder, primer, all matching headstamp once fired brass). Whereas a 45 230gr projo is $0.115 per projectile...  I'm paying $0.075 per projectile. Multiply that times 500 per week times 52 weeks... I'll stick to 9mm. And yes, it sucks to be poor. 

38 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I only shoot 9 major out of my open gun anyway. I pay $0.15 per loaded round (projectile, powder, primer, all matching headstamp once fired brass). Whereas a 45 230gr projo is $0.115 per projectile...  I'm paying $0.075 per projectile. Multiply that times 500 per week times 52 weeks... I'll stick to 9mm. And yes, it sucks to be poor. 

wait. what? you are doing it wrong if you are shooting open to save money, lol. It doesn't even make sense for open shooters to talk about 45. The only place 45 makes *any* sense is singlestack or L10.

btw, that is also too much to pay for 230gr, and if that's not enough, I have discovered (after being told many times by smarter more experienced people) that 200gr bullets are better for experienced shooters than 230, and the sights will return faster.