Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes

djbb98

So my new Benelli M2 is in the mail and I'm thinking about ditching my factory choke for extended chokes. Which brand should I go with. I've been looking at Briley and have a guy who's a distributor with them so I could get them a little cheaper. Or should I look into some other brand. Also what kinds of chokes, I think for sure Full and IC, what others. I can probably do 5 before getting out of my desired spending range. I've looked at the speader chokes. Are they worth it? I'm mainly shooting club match but there are always more difficult shotgun stages.

Thanks for any input

There is nothing wrong with factory Benelli chokes. However, the Brileys are very nice, and being able to quickly read the constriction without removing the tube is cool too. If you have the budget for one choke, get a light mod and never change it. For my personal choke selection, I use a Briley Diffuser, the factory Cylinder, Briley Skeet, Briley IC, Briley Light Mod, Briley Mod, Briley Improved Mod, and factory Full. I'm a choke whore and I change chokes constantly. Realistically you could do anything you need to do with a Cylinder, a light Mod, and an Improved Mod.

Full is the only choke I have never used in a match.  Diffusion, C, IC, LM, and M are what I typically use.  If you're only getting a couple LM and Diffusion as they don't come with the gun.  I use Briley chokes they work well.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to recommend Pure Gold chokes.   Very good patterns.  I find in my 26" barreled A5 they shoot tighter than the factory chokes.    So I normally live in the IC and spreader range occasionally going LM for heavier targets at distance. 

I use a  Briley LM in my Benelli 95% of the time. If there are static clays and no spinners or far steel, I use a Briley Skeet choke. I did use a full choke on the all buckshot stage at HeMan a few years ago. I always have my two Brileys and all of the factory chokes in my bag, just in case. 

Hurley

• 7 months later...

What are the most reliable names in the Choke industry? I liked my Pure Golds in my 930 but looking for new ones for my Affinity and M2 (Same types). Looking at Pure Golds again but 5 x 75 = 375 plus shipping. Particularly interested in people's experience with Carlson's and Briley's.

Consider Muller Hoser and Muller Far.  Then, you only need 2.

Hoser is basically like having a CYL/IC, while the Far is in the LM/Mod end of things, it seems.

Very consistent, dense patterns.  Muller is a well-known name in the clay sports.

I like Briley on the upper end and Carlson on the lower end. I went with Briley on the M2 and Carlson for my Franchi and Mossberg. Frankly I’d stick with Carlson if I had to do it again. I have the following extended choke sets for each shotgun: CYL, IC, LM, M, IM, F, EF. Yes, I like my chokes.

Carlson makes an affordable choke, briley is an excellent choke tube, the pure gold are excellent as well, BUT this time around I am going with the Müller chokes. They have an excellent history in sporting clays, and I will only be picking up 2. Hoser and far will cover everything that we see 99.9% of the time.

• 4 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, AustinWolv said:

Consider Muller Hoser and Muller Far.  Then, you only need 2.

Hoser is basically like having a CYL/IC, while the Far is in the LM/Mod end of things, it seems.

Very consistent, dense patterns.  Muller is a well-known name in the clay sports.

how have the chokes been after some time?

31 minutes ago, ronhonda said:

how have the chokes been after some time?

Good to go.  No complaints.  Hoser works great, very consistent.  Their condition looks great, seem very durable.   

The Far hits pretty hard with a dense pattern, so it seems a little tight at times for when you want more than the Hoser but targets aren't quite too far out, as it hits hard and very dense pattern.....have to aim with it!  It definitely reaches out and knocks things down.

1 minute ago, MoonJeong said:

What ever choke you get, pattern it. I was shocked how tight the mod choke was with low velocity loads. With high velocity, the patters are a lot looser.

Yes. Turns out my EF looks like a slug at 15 yards. Which is great when the MD puts 6" knockovers at 35 yards...

I have been running the 3Gun Pure Gold chokes for the last 2 seasons and they are great. Very consistent patterns, I use both a IC and LM depending on the stage, I would not hesitate to buy them again if I was looking for new chokes.

I run Carlson chokes for my 3G Benelli and Beretta Sporting Clay O/U.  

They work fine.  I did not want to pay the extra dough for Briley, which are excellent chokes.

I use to shoot a fair amount of skeet and sporting clays.  I never heard anyone ever say 'so and so' brand were terrible.  Seemed like almost all the decent aftermarket chokes did what they were suppose to do.

Of course, I used a patterning board for all my chokes to determine the patterns at distances.

Skeet or I/C worked 90% of the time.  Heavy steel plates with buck shot did require a tighter pattern--Mod maybe-lesson learned.

Edited by pjb45

• 1 month later...