Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Classes/school/instruction

DrKyle1

Mods - please feel free to move if it fits somewhere

If you have taken any classes please feel free to post your experiences, how much you have improved, type of course, with whom and cost.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a Pete Garcia, but I did take a class from a Frank Garcia in Frostproof, FL. I would recommend it. I was an absolute newbie and think I received a good introduction into the sport. I also think it'll help me progress faster, because I learned things the "right" way.

Ray

Stan Wigginton,

Started shooting the same time as Rob, Brian, Jerry B. ect. went through same school of hard knocks as they did.

Have been shooting with him for 4 years now, and just now am starting to understand much of the things he has been trying to tell me !!!!!

Hopalong

Luckily enough I also work for him and get all this training (if you call it that) for free !!!!! ;);)

I've taken courses from Jim Cirillo, Frank Garcia, Todd Jarrett, Bennie Cooley, and Matt Burkett. All good in different ways for different things.

Looking back ,what I got out of them depended on where I was with my shooting skills at the time. :)

Firearms Academy of Seattle and Lethal Force Institute.

I've been to FAS for their 2, 3, and 4 classes and have a great time whenever I'm there. The prices are very inexpensive when compared to Thunder Ranch and Gunsite, but I feel the instruction is as good as it gets. My skill level has increased well beyond what I thought I could ever do with a handgun, and gets better everytime I go.

Judicious Use of Lethal Force from Lethal Force Institute was great, lots of instruction for those of us that go out armed. The shooting was pretty basic, but I feel a beginner would benifit greatly from it.

Now that I've found this site, I'm getting into the USPSA shooting and having a good time. So there will probably be plans for that type of class in the future.

I took a weekend class from Scott Springer aka Lovestoshoot. A real task-master that improved my game immensely. Gives good quality reasoning and then shows you the quantitative results. I thought I was going really fast but my transitions were slow, but mentally I could not connect relaxing, making the shot and transitioning smoother into a realized improved time sequence. Gotta be a sponge for two days and watch the skin fall off your hands :lol:

Took a class with Matt-2 day format, with a diverse group of students. Matt was an excellent communicator and his insight was superior. I would recommend him. I did improve two class levels fairly quickly and I am pushing towards the next level.

BTW: He is a very funny guy. He brings in humor when needed and at least at me-"a stern talking to." He really put me on the right track about so many things. And he was available by phone for follow-up advice.

He really has a good sense on the different ways to motivate and communicate with different personalities.

If you ever *give* one, I'm there.  ;)

I'm in awe of greatshooters (or athlete ect..) that have the apptitude to break down what their doing and teach that to someone else. I have some raw, instinctual, un-refined skills that sometimes come together and make me feel good about myself, but I should probably try to understand what it is that I do (right or wrong) before I try to convey that to another.

If you want competition classes I cannot reccomend the Double Impact class by Max Michel and Travis Tomasie enough. For more info visit www.maxmichel.com

This was an incredible class. I have taken a lot of classes. I have never seen that much positive reinforcment go with that much learning before. I feel these 2 men have the best competition skills class on the market for a number of reasons.

I've taken classes from Matt Burkett, TDSA, and Tactical Response. I was disappointed after taking my first class because I felt like I should have gotten more from the class. I have since realized that no matter who you take the class from, unless you incorporate the techniques through practice and discipline, the training will only last for a short while.

James Yeager at Tactical Response probably gave me the most important tip. He said to take training from a variety of sources and find the one or two things from each class that you can use in your own personal toolbox. The other thing is the more you train, the more you find out you don't know...

Jerry

Max and Travis aren't on the list but really need to be. They have great ability to communicate as well as shoot.

Ditto on the Double Impact course. Time and money well spent.

I've only taken an "official" course from Burkett, which was awesome for me. I would take classes from TJ, JB, TT&MM, MM, BE, RL, MV, etc... :) I understand they're all good, so....

I have taken a few classes and courses on shooting. I would leave a course or school shooting great, but never seemed to improve. Many times I would even regress back to my old times.

The one thing that changed most of that was training with Frank Garcia. When I left his place I knew what I needed to practice and how to train. Due to a military assignment I had to stop shooting matches for a few years, but I was still able to train using Franks advice. When I started shooting matches again, everyone I used to shoot with noticed how much I had improved. I even went up a classification.