Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Classes/school/instruction

DrKyle1

I just finished a 2 day course with Emanuel Bragg (Missouri Shooting Academy). All I can say is OUTSTANDING. Top notch training from a first rate guy. I would gladly attend another one of his courses.

Thanks Manny,

Robbie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken one class with Jim Higginbotham, several varieties of handgun/shotgun/cabine with Ken Hackathorn (a couple with Dave Harrington as a guest instructor), and one class with Ernie Langdon. Mostly defensively-oriented, but they also drilled on marksmanship and speed. It was Ken who gently encouraged me to try using a thumb-high hold with a 1911 and ride the safety while shooting. It was a long and sometimes painful transition but worth the effort.

The only competition-oriented class I've taken was Erik Lund's "Principles of Movement" course. From a match performance perspective it's the best money I've ever spent. More info available here.

I've also had the good fortune to shoot several local matches with Dave Sevigny, and while no substitute for a class, having the chance to closely observe his preparation and execution for just the price of a match fee is a great bargain. Squadding with Julie Goloski is also very instructive (and they're both very nice people).

Just got back from attending a 2 day course with Frank Garcia. I would highly recommend his class to anyone wanting to improve. He focuses on fundamentals and drills it into you every minute you are with him. Very nice range facilities, especially the compressed air operated popper stage.

Just got back from attending a 2 day course with Frank Garcia. I would highly recommend his class to anyone wanting to improve. He focuses on fundamentals and drills it into you every minute you are with him. Very nice range facilities, especially the compressed air operated popper stage.

Did you do the Thursday Friday Class? The rain on Friday was a freak of nature.

I went down there this morning and it was ugly. We had a storm front move in and it just poured down. I got to Franks School at 8:00am today and he said if I wanted to reschedule I could, because with the rain we weren't going to get but about 50% of the his course because we weren't going to be shooting paper and the range was a flooded so we'd shoot steel. So I'm going back at the end of the month to do a three day class. I really had my hopes of shooting with him this weekend, but I'd also like to take advantage of all he can teach me as well.

Thursday was excellent eather so we got to shoot paper. Rained half of Friday. We did the best we could. The compressed air popper stage worked well since we didn't have to reset the poppers. Didn't like shooting my gun in the pouring rain.

• 4 weeks later...

Took Eric Grauffel's two day class prior to the FL Open and all I can say is I highly recommend the class. There was 7 people taking the class and he limits it to 10. I was very impressed with Eric's ability to watch, breakdown your string and then very tactfully correct your mistakes OR COMPLIMENT you on a job well done!! He offered lots of one-on-one instruction. From the start he said the class was not how to shoot faster but teach you the correct techniques then it was up to you to improve and I totally agree. You would be instructed on the correct technique, practice dry firing, then go hot. He had his dad Gigi helping teach the class. He focused on all the basics starting with stance, grip, draw, barricades, movement(foward, backwards, sideways, box-to-box) reloads(proper technique, when to make them on the move, creating dead spots for reloads), how to handle the pistol while moving, shooting prone, breaking down of stages, retrieving gun from table/drawer/barrel, and I'm sure there was lots more....He was very personable and made the class not only informative but ENJOYABLE. Granted we shot from 8am to 5pm with a break in the morning, lunch and one in the afternoon. I recommend you take at least 1400 rounds as I took 1200 and ran out during the last breakout session. I will probably take the class later on down the road as I have not been shooting a year yet and I enjoyed it that much.

Edited by DrawandDuck

I've not taken a class, but have been looking for a decent one for pistol - hopefully within driving distance of KY. I've looked at Dave Sevigny - none scheduled, Max Michel - nothing scheduled, Todd Jarrett - his web page presents a nice photo, but no links are clickable in my Firefox browser. Emailed Brian - none planned.

Any suggestions?

Max and Travis are giving two classes in eastern PA. It's only 10 hours from Lexington!!

• 2 weeks later...

I took Jerry Miculek's 2 day revolver class. It cost $310 at the time (about 2 years ago) and there were about 10 of us in the class. We fired about 1400-1500 rounds of ammo (depending if you had a 6 shot or 8 shot revo).

I ran out of ammo for my 610 and had to switch to my 686.. :)

I learned quite a bit and still try to apply all of those things to my revolver shooting to this day. Very informative class and Jerry was a nice guy (got to hear a few stories).

Vince