Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics rules

On 9/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Banacek said:

Question for you Rowdyb.  What gun are you shooting in CO and what internal trigger mods have you made.  I have a Glock 34 and since the Zev or other speed triggers are not legal, I want to confirm that I am interpreting the rules and I can change springs and the connector to reduce trigger pull and make a smoother trigger.  

You can do anything that is not externally visible. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jimbo61 said:

Can you have cocking serrations milled into a Glock slide? 

"A slide may be modified specifically for 
the purpose of installing optical sights 
or cocking serrations. Textured 
finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling 
on the slide to provide texture is also 
allowed
. Cuts that are designed to 
specifically or significantly lighten the 
slide, such as holes, are ruled as 
competitive advantage and prohibited."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I figured I might revive this thread for a Semi related question. 

Im setting up a carry optics gun, and am going to have a company called Jagerwerks mill the RMR cut, and the cocking serrations on the slide. The specific cut I am having done they call the "downrange" http://jagerwerks.com/down-range/

My question for the ROs of the group is this: could a legalistic RO say that the slight recesses on the sides of the slide inbetween the sets of cocking serrations (where the little JW logo is) be interpreted as "a cut to specifically or significantly lighten the slide" ?

Perhaps I'm just a bit RO paranoid, but in my region carry optics has minor participation, and I would hate to see my nice new carry optics gen 5 bumped to open on a minor technicality.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Chrishoward1364 said:

I figured I might revive this thread for a Semi related question. 

Im setting up a carry optics gun, and am going to have a company called Jagerwerks mill the RMR cut, and the cocking serrations on the slide. The specific cut I am having done they call the "downrange" http://jagerwerks.com/down-range/

My question for the ROs of the group is this: could a legalistic RO say that the slight recesses on the sides of the slide inbetween the sets of cocking serrations (where the little JW logo is) be interpreted as "a cut to specifically or significantly lighten the slide" ?

Perhaps I'm just a bit RO paranoid, but in my region carry optics has minor participation, and I would hate to see my nice new carry optics gen 5 bumped to open on a minor technicality.

Thanks in advance.

Email Troy and include pics from the website etc. Personally I wouldn’t do it without solid approval from the DNROI.

Edited by Sarge

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Email Troy and include pics from the website etc. Personally I wouldn’t do it without solid approval from the DNROI.

Waiting to see answer as well.However, I thought since it was not a cut through window it would be ok. 

And , as long as we are asking these types of questions, I noticed the TTI Combat Master G34 that Ashley ran in CO Nats has a interesting nose cut on the frame. I am assuming extreme frame mods are okay?

21.2b says "to specifically or significantly lighten" looks to be specifically aesthetic and unless deceiving in depth a pretty insignificant weight reduction that could be exceeded while staying in the rules. 

Betting Troy says it's fine. 

Frame mods are covered under grips, while it says "not limited to" I don't really see how reprofiling the nose of the frame could be allowed when all the examples are things that may affect gripping the gun, but I also don't see how a cut there would be a competitive advantage I wouldn't do it, but wouldn't be upset if someone wasn't bumped for it. 

39 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Id say quite a bit of cutting is allowed...ashley.thumb.jpg.458d48406ce98e1809ebb5db8dff7a70.jpg

Thanks Patrick, I suppose that effectively answers that right there.

I will still likely seek a clarification from Troy to appease any possible legalists who are ROing, but it seems to me that if that's legal in nationals than that rule effectively doesn't exist unless you actually cut a port through the slide.

1 hour ago, Patrick Scott said:

Id say quite a bit of cutting is allowed...ashley.thumb.jpg.458d48406ce98e1809ebb5db8dff7a70.jpg

Since that cut is obviously not for cocking serrations or grip enhancement, I suppose allowing that slide depends on NROI's opinion of what "contour" means:

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

Well, I went to the source on it, and emailed Troy.

The reply was eloquent in its brevity.

Me: Hi Troy, my name is Chris Howard, and I have a question about the current Carry optics rules.

I want to get this cut done on a gen 5 Glock I'm setting up for CO http://jagerwerks.com/down-range/ but I'm unclear as to if the small recesses (where the JW logo is) on the sides would make that illegal as "a cut to specifically or significantly lighten the slide" 

On one hand, no it doesn't add a competitive advantage, and multiple high level shooters including Ashley Rheurark shot at nationals with TTI glocks that have similar cuts, which would seem illegal in the rules, but on the other hand I could see a legalist bumping me to open because of it.

If you could write back something I could use in case I run into any trouble that would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

Troy Mcmanus: 
It's not a hole, and per D7, 21.2b, it's allowed.  

Troy

20 minutes ago, Chrishoward1364 said:

Well, I went to the source on it, and emailed Troy.

The reply was eloquent in its brevity.

Me: Hi Troy, my name is Chris Howard, and I have a question about the current Carry optics rules.

I want to get this cut done on a gen 5 Glock I'm setting up for CO http://jagerwerks.com/down-range/ but I'm unclear as to if the small recesses (where the JW logo is) on the sides would make that illegal as "a cut to specifically or significantly lighten the slide" 

On one hand, no it doesn't add a competitive advantage, and multiple high level shooters including Ashley Rheurark shot at nationals with TTI glocks that have similar cuts, which would seem illegal in the rules, but on the other hand I could see a legalist bumping me to open because of it.

If you could write back something I could use in case I run into any trouble that would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

Troy Mcmanus: 
It's not a hole, and per D7, 21.2b, it's allowed.  

Troy

Keep your phone with this email on it at matches.