Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do we call ourselves...

MikieM

14 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

"yea, here's a video"

"oh wow that looks awesome!"

then they ask a bunch of dumb questions and I answer them in laymen terms and be real nice and invite them to go and offer gear and training prior to match day. They say things like "yea that would be awesome" and then say things like "I've been thinking about getting a gun.." and then they never show up or care to shoot. Gets old 

I swear I've had this exact conversation a dozen times. Everyone I associate with is a gun owner, yet few of them are shooters, and even fewer have a competitive bone in their body.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just say "Competitive Pistol Shooting".  

If they want to know more I try to explain how things work on a very basic level ("we run around a stage shooting at targets"), but realistically the only important thing to get across is that I'm shooting targets with a handgun and they keep score.

1 hour ago, ShortBus said:

If I used combat, idpa, real life, tactical, or scenarios in a sentence I'd certainly die a little inside.

heres what I do -

"so what do you do for fun?"

"I shoot a lot" 

"oh that's cool, what do you shoot at?"

"I shoot USPSA, I basically run around and shoot things. It's a lot of fun.."

"..oh.." 

"yea, here's a video"

"oh wow that looks awesome!"

then they ask a bunch of dumb questions and I answer them in laymen terms and be real nice and invite them to go and offer gear and training prior to match day. They say things like "yea that would be awesome" and then say things like "I've been thinking about getting a gun.." and then they never show up or care to shoot. Gets old 

ShortBus. you are an ambassador. :D

But it's not easy, is it?

Say, you're explaining to someone that with gun in hand you run around a stage shooting at targets, and they visualize a theater, or auditorium somewhere, and they ask. "Isn't that dangerous?", or , "Do some cities allow that?"

Or, you tell them about 'poppers', 'swingers', and 'hostages', and they think you're some kind of pervert, and they don't even want to know about 'power factor'.  :lol:

1 hour ago, MGMorden said:

I usually just say "Competitive Pistol Shooting".  

If they want to know more I try to explain how things work on a very basic level ("we run around a stage shooting at targets"), but realistically the only important thing to get across is that I'm shooting targets with a handgun and they keep score.

+1.  I always say that "I'm a competitive shooter."  If they then legitimately want to know more, their eyes will light up and they'll ask the right questions, and I'll give them relevant details.  If their eyes don't light up, then they usually assume that I'm a trap or skeet shooter, and I'll leave it at that.

When they ask i just tell them Action Pistol. When they have no idea what that is, instead of me explaining everything  for the umpteenth time, i just tell them to go look up "USPSA match" on Youtube to get an idea.

Al

We call ourselves Hoser's !!! But not the Canadian kind, eh? The shooting kind, We go to hose fest matches and hose the shiite out of everything... Make sure you have enough sticks to finish the stage.

Canadian Hosers

Are_You_A_Hoser.jpg

USPSA/IPSC Hoser (one of the larger North American kind)

Rob_L.jpg

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I think that "United States Practical Shooting Association" explains it pretty clearly.

Not really.

If someone who doesn't shoot sees that you're someone who does, asks, "What kind of shooting do you do?" You can't really say United States Practical Shooting Association, and not have it hang there like a giant Matzo ball. 

We need something a bit more concise, and to the point. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, MikieM said:

We need something a bit more concise, and to the point. :rolleyes:

...like all of the examples that people have already given?

I personally say "action pistol competition" because it tells people it is a competition, with pistols, and the "action" part is different enough that most people ask further about it. 

As has been said repeatedly, however, what you call it isn't really that important, because people will have no idea.  As such, following it up with a video is what really makes the difference.  I can't think of a single pithy phrase that will actually inform anyone of what we do if they don't already know.

2 hours ago, Thomas H said:

...like all of the examples that people have already given?

I personally say "action pistol competition" because it tells people it is a competition, with pistols, and the "action" part is different enough that most people ask further about it. 

As has been said repeatedly, however, what you call it isn't really that important, because people will have no idea.  As such, following it up with a video is what really makes the difference.  I can't think of a single pithy phrase that will actually inform anyone of what we do if they don't already know.

Pick one out that's already been given. I asked if there had been a consensus and no one said anything.

Maybe you aren't pithy enough.

I thought seriously about 'Action Pistol', but sure as the world some non-shooter would say. "Oh, you guys dress up like cowboys, don't you?"

On with the quest. 

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Pick one out that's already been given. I asked if there had been a consensus and no one said anything.

Maybe you aren't pithy enough.

I thought seriously about 'Action Pistol', but sure as the world some non-shooter would say. "Oh, you guys dress up like cowboys, don't you?"

On with the quest. 

You asked for concise and to the point---that's what I replied to.  Many people have already given concise and to the point answers.  You asked what people did, and they told you.   There obviously isn't a consensus, for the exact reasons that people have said.

And again, as people have said:  What we call it will be meaningless to people who don't already know what it is.  As such, showing them after would be the useful part.

22 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

You asked for concise and to the point---that's what I replied to.  Many people have already given concise and to the point answers.  You asked what people did, and they told you.   There obviously isn't a consensus, for the exact reasons that people have said.

And again, as people have said:  What we call it will be meaningless to people who don't already know what it is.  As such, showing them after would be the useful part.

Why are you so angry? Didn't get any last night? Hung over? What?

If you haven't anything constructive to add, don't add it.

Is it really that difficult to explain to people what we do? We shoot guns in competition against each other to address a variety of practical shooting challenges. We are timed and graded on our accuracy in equal measure. Our best shooters are both the fastest and the most accurate. You can compete with an out of the box stock pistol or a full race gun. You can compete if you are 10 years old or 80. It's the best shooting sport in the world.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk