Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max capacity 140mm

z40acp

On 4/28/2018 at 6:19 PM, vnboileau said:

Is there an ideal solution for CO mag set-up, or is still hit or miss?

I have been running Mec-Gar 17rds with gram guts and TTI +3/+4 base pads with no issues for close to a year now. 23 reloadable without any problems. I've read that others are getting the same great results using the equivalent stuff from CZC and Springer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched to Mec-Gar 17rd hard chrome mags, CZC spring/follower, and CZC basepads for the M-G, 23+1 reloadable, and so far very reliable.  Easily pass the mag gauge.

I had been using:

CZ 16 rnd mags with the long  CZC basepad,  CZC spring/follower, best I could get was 22+1.  I should shove 23 in it, but it was waaay tight.

CZ 18 rbd mags with the short CZC basepad, CZC spring/follower, best I could get was 22+1.

• 10 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 3:47 PM, eerw said:

small amount of material on each side to allow the follower to sit higher in the mag. basically to push the last round up higher.

Any pics or diagram of where to trim material? Currently trying to solve the last hold open issue on my mags with the same set up: 17 mecgar body + czc base plates and czc 10 coil sping kit

8 hours ago, mcrdriver said:

Any pics or diagram of where to trim material? Currently trying to solve the last hold open issue on my mags with the same set up: 17 mecgar body + czc base plates and czc 10 coil sping kit

do you want it to hold open or are you trying to make it not hold open? most aftermarket spring and follower kits will not lock the slide back.

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2019 at 11:02 PM, Joedirt199 said:

I trim the legs off the stock follower pretty much flush with the bottom. Gets me one more round and still locks the slide back. I am getting 3 rds with the +2 plastic bases, stock spring and follower. Cheapest 3 extra rounds.

I was thinking of trying this and wondering why its not a more common modification? 

Figuring out what extended basepads springs and follower to use is really confusing.  I would like to keep the slide lock function and from what I am reading you will lose it with the Grams or CZC spring/follower kits? 

I am thinking with the Springer SP0318 mag extensions and the Springer supplied spring and trimming the factory follower down I can get 22 rounds in the factory 17 rd magazine?  Does this sound right?

Edited by ML123

Ok here is my take on this project.

I ended up cutting down the bottom of a factory follower from a 17rd mag and with the SP0326 (which is for an 18rd mag) on a 17rd tube I can easily fit 20rds and maintain the slide stop function.  It works really well as far as I can tell so far I have to live fire test it but on the bench it is no issue.  Ironically with the Springer powerspring in the 18rd mags I can only fit 20rds with no chance of 21 without having to modify the bottom of the follower.  In the 17rd tube I can actually get 20 rounds in without cutting the bottom of the follower too but it is to tight and difficult to get the mag to seat.

I am going to try 17rd tubes with the SP0318 basepads Springer powerspring with cutting down the bottom of the follower.  After measuring I am guessing the SP0318 is close to 5mm taller than the SP0326 to maintain the 140mm overall length,  With the extra length I think I am going to easily get 22 rounds in a 17 rd tube with a modified factory follower and still be able maintain the slide stop function.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, ML123 said:

Ok here is my take on this project.

I ended up cutting down the bottom of a factory follower from a 17rd mag and with the SP0326 (which is for an 18rd mag) on a 17rd tube I can easily fit 20rds and maintain the slide stop function.  It works really well as far as I can tell so far I have to live fire test it but on the bench it is no issue.  Ironically with the Springer powerspring in the 18rd mags I can only fit 20rds with no chance of 21 without having to modify the bottom of the follower.  In the 17rd tube I can actually get 20 rounds in without cutting the bottom of the follower too but it is to tight and difficult to get the mag to seat.

I am going to try 17rd tubes with the SP0318 basepads Springer powerspring with cutting down the bottom of the follower.  After measuring I am guessing the SP0318 is close to 5mm taller than the SP0326 to maintain the 140mm overall length,  With the extra length I think I am going to easily get 22 rounds in a 17 rd tube with a modified factory follower and still be able maintain the slide stop function.

This is with a extended mag plate right?

5 hours ago, Stdz said:

This is with a extended mag plate right?

Yes, Springer makes two extended basepads one for the 18rd mag tubes (0326) and one for the 17rd tubes (0318).  I have a shorter (0326) for an 18rd tube on a 17rd tube with a cut down follower with the Springer power spring and can get 20rds in easily and maintain the factory slide stop function.  I am waiting on the longer SP0318 for the 17rd tubes but think I am going to get 22rds with the factory slide stop working.  I know I will get at least 21 but I think I can also take more material off the bottom of the follower and get 22 in there.

I'll post a follow up along with pics of what I did to the follower once I get the parts and run a few rounds through it at the range.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:13 AM, ML123 said:

...I'll post a follow up along with pics of what I did to the follower once I get the parts and run a few rounds through it at the range.

Hey ML123,

Did you get your parts; have you been able to take some pics?  I too, would like to see just where and what you trimmed off the stock follower legs to increase the capacity.

13 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Hey ML123,

Did you get your parts; have you been able to take some pics?  I too, would like to see just where and what you trimmed off the stock follower legs to increase the capacity.

Yes but its not exactly working out as planned lol.

I was able to get an extra round in when I used the shorter 18rd extension on the 17rd tube by cutting down the follower I managed 20rds.  When I put the proper 17rd tube extension on which is deeper I was still only able to get 20rds in, same as the shorter extension.  Funny thing is with the other two 17rd mags and unmodified follower and Springer springs I was able to get 21rds in, WTF?

I am playing around with springs which seem to make a difference I still for the life of me can not figure out why I can only get 20 rds in the mag with the cut down follower and 21 rds in the ones without a cut down follower.

I have three different mags, the 17rd mags that came from my S2 which are the SAME mag tube and follower as the Mec-Gar 19rd mags I purchased.  I also have two 18rd CZ mags that came with my SP-01 which use a longer tube and different follower.  The 18rd tubes leave a gap with the extension.  With Grams springs/followers in the 18rd tubes I got 23rds.   I am still working on getting 22 in the 17rd tubes with modified followers.  For now the slide lock is working with the Grams followers but from what people are saying in this thread that will not last long.

https://imgur.com/undefined

CZ Mag followers.jpg

CZ 17rd mag.jpg

S2 18rd mag.jpg

Mag tubes.jpg

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Serious question, are you doing this just because its stuff you have on hand? Enjoy the experimenting? You can buy a complete mag, 23 rounds, ready to go from BSPS $70....

Little of all that lol!  I would like to keep the slide stop function and only give up one round over the Grams, at least that was the original plan.  The BSPS use the grams followers which everyone is saying won't keep the slide stop fxn.

I am converting the mags I have already. I am building the SP-01 as a CO gun and using the S2 for 3 gun so I have 2 18rd mags and 3 17rd mags that came with the guns.  I dont plan to run production or IDPA so I can use 140mm mags for everything I plan to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I have shot a few matches with the magazines and the 23round CZ 18rd mags with Grams springs and followers are not playing nice with my S2 and I am getting FTE/double feed issues.  It has happened twice now and I am pretty certain it is the mags with the Grams springs and followers in the 18rd CZ mag tubes.  I have not had any issues with the MecGar 17rd tubes with Springer spings and factory followers. 

Any suggestions on fixing this issue?

I use 17 Mac-Gar mags with Taran and Taylor extensions. 
the TF can be loaded with 22 rounds and the Taran except 23 rounds, both with Grams followers. The TF fits the gauge easily, the Taran is a tight fit. Both work no issues, except the don’t lock the slide back on the last round. I had no luck using the 18 rd mags.

• 3 weeks later...

If you shoot a P-07, P-09, or any P-10 the 19 round P-09/P-10F magazines with the orange follower (compatible with all generations) with the follower legs trimmed down to match the center tab, OEM spring, and Henning or Springer basepads will get you 22 reloadable, will lock the slide back, and will work every single time.  A Grams follower and spring will get you 23 with the loss of slide lock and with risk for mag related malfunctions.