Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter Who Wont Paste

KentG

Well I went to a match and got squaded with a guy I was squaded with last year at a major match who seems to think pasters are his personal kryptonite. Still the same attitude, I suppose because he is a GM he is way to important and cool to be bothered with pasting. He picked up a box of pasters once but never walked downrange with them. Other than that he just sat there waiting for everyone else to do it. Wonder if his momma wipes his,,,,?

What a joke.

I have no use for shooters who won't work within the squad, though we all get squadded with them from time to time. It would serve them right if the targets were never pasted when they were up, but most of us won't do that for the very reason we paste in the first place.

I would mention it to the RO's. If I am a RO I "demand" that shooters paste. If they insist I will hand out unsportsmanlike penalties. Never has happened but that's how I feel about it.

GM not helping huh? Poor attitude and probably a wannabe.

I shot with Dave Sevigny this past weekend and I had to "fight" him to paste/paint a target. He also managed to film all Julie's runs, win the match and answer questions from my new "big match" shooters. That's a GM.

I shot with Dave Sevigny this past weekend and I had to "fight" him to paste/paint a target. He also managed to film all Julie's runs, win the match and answer questions from my new "big match" shooters. That's a GM.

Dave is a true professional.

AMEN!

We have some real classy shooters here in the DFW area who always show up late, leave early, and do whatever they can to avoid taping or anything constructive during the match.

Hell, one of them sits back on his ass and either sleeps, or pretends to sleep, until it's his turn to shoot.

Thats why I finally wised the hell up when I broke my dam back setting up steel at one match and thought "Why am I one of 3 people setting up the whole match while everyone else is standing around smoking a donut and coffee?" So until they enforce some rules or make them pay more for matches, get rid of the paramilitary types and the "questionables" that get kicked out of other ranges for um, bad bad things and continue to enable that crap......I am out.

Thats why I finally wised the hell up when I broke my dam back setting up steel at one match and thought  "Why am I one of 3 people setting up the whole match while everyone else is standing around smoking a donut and coffee?"

Smoking a donut?

this happened to my squad once at the factory gun nationals. once the squad realized this person wasn't pasting another member went up to him with a box of pasters, after he shot, and said "now paste your own targets". needless to say the guy got the hint and pasted the rest of the match.

Locally, it's not the GM or M class shooters, it's some C/D class guys who have to shoot together and film all of their "smoking" runs..including all of the mikes, penalties and DQ's so the wives and girlfriends who don't come to the match with them can oogle over their "incredible" ability.

These guys have to be reminded constantly that it's not my job or the other range staff's job to do their fair share.

They are very nice guys..they just don't brass and tape.

I always use a nice little trick. If the paster doesn't do their job when called for that or brass they go to the bottom of the clip board. At local matches that aren't squadded this could put the person down 20 shooters before they finally get up to shoot. If they still don't do their job down they go again. They will get the idea.

I always use a nice little trick.  If the paster doesn't do their job when called for that or brass they go to the bottom of the clip board. 

Good idea. A problem arises when the ENTIRE SQUAD is busy filming and playing around.

I've gotten pretty good at nailing A zone hits at 5 yards with a box of pasters.

I was squaded with a guy at A4 last year who didn't do a damn thing. After a day of that I was furious. I walked up to him (as he was sitting and enjoying a smoke) and tossed a roll of pasters in him lap that first bounced off of his chest and told him We would appreciate him helping out. He did. Maybe being 3 times his size had something to do with his helping out.

Like someone stated earlier, when he shoots we should have him paste his own targets and set his own steel while all of us watched him. I'll keep that in mind this year if we have a slacker on our squad.

Here's one, we had a guy who was not keen on pasting targets in our monthly local match. As our recent banquet, we had door prizes and when his no. was called, they gave a him paster. Talked about people grinning from ear to ear in the banquet. The guy seemed to have gotten the hint and is helping now.

I wonder what would happen if the Range Master declared that video taping was slowing down the match and ordered it stopped?

The RM might get an earful from a number of shooters who have no problems videotaping and keeping the squad rolling along.......

Why propose global solutions to individual problems?

I wonder what would happen if the Range Master declared that video taping was slowing down the match and ordered it stopped?

About the same as an AD into the foot, given the current state of matches, I'd guess.

No publicity is bad publicity, right? :blink:

Af few years back I shot a local match where the local prima donna brought his wife to help out. She pasted targets and set steel while he go his mojo ready for an upcoming major match. At other matches he manages to appear to help by holding a strip of pasters in his hand. I think that the same strip of pasters has lasted about five years. What pathetic behavior.

This thing about not working at matches has long been a pet peeve of mine. There are those that really put the effort in and those that just ride on the coat-tails of everyone else.

I used to write the newsletters for the Colorado area and I wrote a couple of articles about this. They were mostly aimed at new shooters to instruct them as to what happens during a match and range etiquette.

They may be a little out of date now (the range commands have changed a little) but they may help new shooters to understand what goes on and what all the terminology means... Feel free to use them if you wish.

Range_Etiquette.pdf

Range_Guidelines.pdf

at the recent nj steel challenge match, the shooter had to go down range and paint the targets after he shot. i didnt really like it b/c i think it slowed the match down...but at least everyone participated in painting.