Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

I think for the most part it has to do with whatever load you're using, and ideally when your brass ejects it should land around 6 to 8" feet away (at least CZ guys I believe go by this).  Less, and your spring is too stiff, farther and your spring is too light (and you risk premature wear by battering your frame/FCU).

Wolff Springs recommendation.....

http://www.gunsprings.com/faq

3. What weight recoil spring should I use with a particular load?  
This is a very common but hard question to answer in exact terms and in most cases an exact answer is not possible. There are many factors which influence the correct weight recoil spring to use. These factors include the particular ammunition brand and load, individual pistol characteristics, individual shooting styles and your individual, subjective feeling of how the gun shoots and should feel. 

The factory spring weight is designed to operate the pistol with what would be considered average loads, plus or minus a little. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to specify what they consider a factory ammunition load.
In general terms, the heaviest recoil spring that will allow the pistol to function reliably is the best choice - tempered by the above factors. As a rule of thumb, if your spent casings are first hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet, a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure reliable functioning. 

Taking these factors into consideration, it then comes down to how the gun feels and performs when shooting - in your judgment. However, using too light a recoil spring can result in damage to the pistol and possible injury to you.

Edited by MoRivera

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking for this conversation as well.  I am wanting to add the tungsten steel guide rod from springer precision but I have no idea what lb spring to buy.  I'm not committed to any specific bullet yet.  I've just been shooting the cheapest 115g I can find at walmart.  I am thinking about experimenting with the 13lb and 14lb springs on the springer precision website, or ordering some WOLFF springs which i read about earlier in this thread.  Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Last thing I want to do is cause undue wear on the gun from misconfiguration.

Edited by De-c-o-y

On 6/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, De-c-o-y said:

I have been looking for this conversation as well.  I am wanting to add the tungsten steel guide rod from springer precision but I have no idea what lb spring to buy.  I'm not committed to any specific bullet yet.  I've just been shooting the cheapest 115g I can find at walmart.  I am thinking about experimenting with the 13lb and 14lb springs on the springer precision website, or ordering some WOLFF springs which i read about earlier in this thread.  Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Last thing I want to do is cause undue wear on the gun from misconfiguration.

Im using springer precision guide rod and Wilson combat 10# recoil spring on my X5. However, my reloads are only 128-130 PF. Make sure your choice of spring weight matches with the PF of the ammo you’re going to use.i have tried 10-15# springs from my 1911’s and found that the 10# gave me the least felt recoil when shooting my reloads.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:38 PM, AmarokTactical said:

Sorry, I thought you were asking about carry optics. For Production, you need to look at appendix E4 for the areas which you can add the glue and grit to. 

No longer applicable for Production. Put it wherever you want now. 

6 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Somehow lost my extractor.  Anyone know if the X5 uses the same one as the regular 320?  Good place to purchase?

Yes, it is the same one. The Sig website would be a good place to look, and Brownell’s would be another. Top Gun Supply has also had the parts I needed in stock when I needed them.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, CDRNorth said:

Has anyone had luck installing Talon skateboard grip tape on their x5? I place a lot of pressure on my grip and the tape starts migrating after a few hundred presentations. I clean thoroughly, place and apply heat and pressure. It moves at the bottom of the backstrap and the top of the support hand side.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Springer Precision makes a great pre-fit

16 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Yes, it is the same one. The Sig website would be a good place to look, and Brownell’s would be another. Top Gun Supply has also had the parts I needed in stock when I needed them.

Thanks Bill!

30 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

Springer Precision makes a great pre-fit

That's what I use, I like it.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:24 PM, CDRNorth said:

Thanks, I resorted to Krazy Glue... Works

Dawson carries grip tape glue that works great (and can actually be removed !!!) ?

Edited by Jeff O

13 minutes ago, CDRNorth said:

Anyone notice tool marks in the grooves of their barrels?

Not on xfive, but did see what looked like “chatter”marks on a full sized barrel