Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Alpha-X holster

anbrumm

On 3/18/2018 at 6:51 AM, Megarms said:

This may be a dumb question, but I am hoping that someone can chime in to help me.  I only shoot 3 gun and do not shoot USPSA or IPSC at this point (I may try in the future).  I ran into some guys at a 3 gun match yesterday and they were both using the Double Alpha Race Master holster.  They highly recommended it, but I do not see many other 3 gun shooters using this type of holster.  

Can anyone offer some insight as to why the Race Master or the Alpha X would or would not be a good choice for 3 gun?  The only thing I can think of is that it might be possible for the pistol to become un-holstered or full of dirt/mud when rolling around on the ground.

Thank you for any help/advice.

I've been using my Race Master in 3gun, since I started in 3gun 5 years ago. It works pretty awesome, I'm very happy with it.

On a stage that starts with pistol, it is a race holster so it is the fastest possible solution.

On a stage that starts with another gun, or movement, I start with the lock engaged, so it is a level 2 retention holster. And it has a very fast and natural retention release, again making it a very fast and very secure solution.

The Alpha X is basically the same thing as a Race Master.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, cs62 said:

Awesome rig as well as an awesome Atlas blaster!

thanks!

3 hours ago, Rptstoy1 said:

Does the PT evo grip fit like a glove in the PT block option without having to file anything? I got a Chaos and had to file the PT block on the RM and Limcat holster too.

dropped right in. i didnt file anything.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, zipollini said:

I think the two best additions to the Alpha X holster are the new thigh pad and more importantly for me is the extended ball joint which lets me position the holster further out from my thigh.

The guys at DAA really listen to their customers !!

https://www.doublealpha.biz/alpha-x-extended-ball-joint-rod

i thought about the longer rod but i was curious if it would put it farther than the 2" allowed in the rules.

Just now, tcazes said:

i thought about the longer rod but i was curious if it would put it farther than the 2" allowed in the rules.

Standard rod seems like plenty. With it I can easily adjust it to where my gun is well outside 2”.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Standard rod seems like plenty. With it I can easily adjust it to where my gun is well outside 2”.

exactly my point. i cant imagine need the longer one...and still being legal anyways

1 hour ago, zipollini said:

Distance from my STI DVC open gun grip to inside of belt is exactly 2" per USPSA rules 

1 hour ago, zipollini said:

As is mine with the standard rod with plenty of length to spare?

I have the racer and the X . At first I did not like the X had a lot of snagging and it just wasn't very smooth but after a little work on my insert block and practice time with it I love it.  It's very sturdy and has an endless amount of movement for adjusting. 

14 hours ago, Luck2011 said:

I have the racer and the X . At first I did not like the X had a lot of snagging and it just wasn't very smooth but after a little work on my insert block and practice time with it I love it.  It's very sturdy and has an endless amount of movement for adjusting. 

I agree with this. Actually I had to do a little custom fitting for my Shadow 2. Most of it was on the width of the channel. DAA had already nibbled on the lock grove but I had to remove a little more material. Its slick as a whistle now. Love this thing

Same with the Tanfoglio Limited I had to make the channel wider (by a good bit) mainly at the bottom but now it's a smooth as butter or maybe it's now greasy .... I don't know but I like it.... :lol:

On 3/27/2018 at 6:09 PM, zipollini said:

I think the two best additions to the Alpha X holster are the new thigh pad and more importantly for me is the extended ball joint which lets me position the holster further out from my thigh.

The guys at DAA really listen to their customers !!

https://www.doublealpha.biz/alpha-x-extended-ball-joint-rod

Does anyone have the thigh pad in stock in the US?

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, 858 said:

Does anyone have the thigh pad in stock in the US?

DAA has the Alpha-X thigh pad in stock. I ordered one a few weeks ago and have begun using it. It makes a decent difference and is worth the additional cost.

1 minute ago, 858 said:

DAA has the Alpha-X thigh pad in stock. I ordered one a few weeks ago and have begun using it. It makes a decent difference and is worth the additional cost.

I bought one as well.  I put it on and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I may end up having to adjust the holster before using it in a match.  

Just now, TennJeep1618 said:

I bought one as well.  I put it on and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I may end up having to adjust the holster before using it in a match.  

What pistol are you shooting? What adjustment do you need to make?

1 minute ago, 858 said:

What pistol are you shooting? What adjustment do you need to make?

A 2011.  The thigh pad pushes the bottom of the holster out, which angles the grip toward my body.  I may have to just adjust the holster where the gun is more vertical, like it was before the thigh pad.  Granted, I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't had time to even dry fire with the thigh pad on.  It may not be an issue at all, but it definitely changes the vertical angle of the holster.

1 minute ago, TennJeep1618 said:

A 2011.  The thigh pad pushes the bottom of the holster out, which angles the grip toward my body.  I may have to just adjust the holster where the gun is more vertical, like it was before the thigh pad.  Granted, I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't had time to even dry fire with the thigh pad on.  It may not be an issue at all, but it definitely changes the vertical angle of the holster.

Bigger shooters are probably going to be more sensitive to what you're describing. In my case I didn't need any further adjustments but I've been tinkering with various spacers for a couple of months. 

I just got the thigh pad.  Two practice sessions with it.  Not sure I can tell a difference, but I dont notice it so maybe that means its working?  I bought it just because, not really to diagnose any issue I was having.  I imagine it makes the holster a little more stable.  I have not tested it seated to see if it adds anything from that position. 

If I was running an alphax in 3gun I would want the muzzle support.  I knocked my pistol out twice running a race master with my shotgun stock.