Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-handed "flip and catch" unload

I was squaded with a guy this last weekend doing the cool guy flip and would immediately drop the hammer and holster. He was also one of the RO's for the squad. I thought it was bad example for newer shooters perhaps and not the safest way to unload show clear. The guys I were with agreed with me that it was not cool.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was squaded with a guy this last weekend doing the cool guy flip and would immediately drop the hammer and holster. He was also one of the RO's for the squad. I thought it was bad example for newer shooters perhaps and not the safest way to unload show clear. The guys I were with agreed with me that it was not cool.

The range command is "unload and show clear". The "show clear" portion of that command is a requirement to show the RO that it is clear. I'd make him pull it back out of the holster and start over just to piss him off. :)

The range command is "unload and show clear". The "show clear" portion of that command is a requirement to show the RO that it is clear. I'd make him pull it back out of the holster and start over just to BE SAFE as well as piss him off. :)

Fixed it for ya!:)

Do you personally flip the round from the gun, tip it out the side onto the ground, or cover the port with your hand to catch the round? How do you unload?

Okay. Great. Rock on with that.

Then show the RO a clear gun... and trigger/holster when they're happy. That applies to any and all "getting the chambered round out of the gun" techniques.

The biggest complaint I hear about fellow round flippers is that they magoutfliproundhammerholster before the RO has finished the word "if". But please know that this isn't true of all of us. I've never seen an award given for clearing a firearm the fastest, so I am not racing to finish this task.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I flip n catch all the time but I always open the slide again for me and the RO to be sure its clear. Because in IPSC theres "IF clear hammer down..." meaning its the shooters responsibility not the RO's to make sure its clear.

It's not the RO's responcabilty to see clear. It all boils down to being the shooters responcabilty to BE clear. He will be DQed not the RO. But then again I make it a point to show an empty chamber, I figure an RO is like a police officer, I don't have to show jack, but I respect them both. So how much effort does it take to satisfy them both???? Not much IMHO.

Edited by a matt

It's not the RO's responcabilty to see clear... I figure an RO is like a police officer, I don't have to show jack, but I respect them both. So how much effort does it take to satisfy them both???? Not much IMHO.

"If you are finished, unload and show clear."

The Range Officer is responsible for keeping everyone there safe. The command he's issuing has the word "show" in there.

In addition, many of the top guys flip and catch. But every one of them that I've seen shows the RO a clear chamber before they drop the hammer and holster. When the men and women with the most experience are doing something it's either because 1) they got in trouble by not doing so and learned their lesson or 2) It's something courteous / expected / required.

magoutfliproundhammerholster,,,,,

That's the one that gets me.. before I can say anything some guys have holstered the gun..I still like to LOOK.

I feel the same way when I'm in your position. (IDPA certified S.O., but not a USPSA R.O. yet)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

In addition, many of the top guys flip and catch. But every one of them that I've seen shows the RO a clear chamber before they drop the hammer and holster. When the men and women with the most experience are doing something it's either because 1) they got in trouble by not doing so and learned their lesson or 2) It's something courteous / expected / required.

in my experience working national and area matches, the overwhelming majority of good shooters flip and catch. So many people do it that it can't possibly be 'cool', it's just convenient, esp compared to throwing away ammo, or bending over to pick up ammo. screw that.

The range command is "unload and show clear". The "show clear" portion of that command is a requirement to show the RO that it is clear. I'd make him pull it back out of the holster and start over just to BE SAFE as well as piss him off. :)

Fixed it for ya! :)

Well, technically he pulled the trigger so my opportunity to help him not get DQ'd is over at that point. If he pulls the trigger and there is no bang there is a very slim chance that he has a round in the chamber at that point, although not statistically impossible. :)

It's not the RO's responcabilty to see clear... I figure an RO is like a police officer, I don't have to show jack, but I respect them both. So how much effort does it take to satisfy them both???? Not much IMHO.

"If you are finished, unload and show clear."

The Range Officer is responsible for keeping everyone there safe. The command he's issuing has the word "show" in there.

Yup. Read rule 8.3.6 - “If You Are Finished, Unload And Show Clear” or “Unload and Show Clear” – If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his handgun and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed down range, magazine removed, slide locked or held open, and chamber empty. Revolvers must be presented with the cylinder swung out and empty.

"Must" is never optional when it comes to the rule book. I don't think there is a rule that specifically deals with a shooter refusing to comply, but I imagine if you refuse to unholster and show clear then an RO will definitely be obligated to DQ you. Probably would end up quoting rule 10.6.1 as the reason for the DQ; "failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official".

" he must lower his handgun and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed down range"

the competitor MUST present the gun for inspection. Doesn't say the RO has to look at it. ;)

Not a lot of rules about what the RO must do, but when we get trained we are told what we should do to maintain a safe sport and ensure a level playing field for fair competition. :sight:

Thanks for posting the video, I have bookmarked it for future reference. My CZ TS does not have a wide enough slide to rack with a pinch grip from the bottom (I have to tilt to right and pinch grip from the top) so not quite possible using your mechanics. My 2011 gets finished in about a year, and I will re-visit the video then.

We have been over this so may times on other posts that this is all silly now. If you are offered an open chamber it because the shooter is being restectful and thats a GOOD thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Lefty here too. Each time I prepare to show clear, the ROs always have a hand out, ready to catch the round. 

Even so, I always lock the slide back and show the empty chamber. Just being respectful for the RO and for the rules. 

Super easy really. I'm a lefty and I just grab the rear of the slide with my right hand "pinch" style with thumb and index finger and run the slide with the gun pointed forward and tilted to the left a little bit. The round generally comes out of the gun nearly straight up the in the air or slightly to the right and I have plenty of time to lower the slide and catch the round.

Personally I just rack the slide from its front serrations with the ejection port facing downward, letting the round drop into my hand. Now that I'm playing with Open Division this is no longer doable!