Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load then shoot, vs shoot then reload shotgun question.

DocMedic

So you are on a stand-and-deliver 12 round shotgun portion of a 3gun stage. You dump your pistol and grab your shotgun from a dump bucket. Do you feel it is faster to immediately load 4 into the shotgun before you start engaging the targets, or do you feel its faster to get the shotgun shouldered and shooting and then load 4 after the first few shots?

I know everyone is going to be a little faster vs slower in this skill set but I'm just wondering what everyone's though process would be. I'm trying to determine if I'm going to switch my 10 round magazine tube to a 12 round tube.

The 12 round tube has little to do with a standing situation like you describe. Where it comes in handy is where you have some movement right away, so you can top off with one quad to a total of 13 (12+1) rounds. Also, the 12 round tube gives you more flexibility on when you can reload, and will likely minimize the number of reloads. For example, I ran shotgun on a stage at Warsport this past weekend. I was going to need to load 8 rounds, total, to get through the stage. I needed to engage some targets right out of the barrel (no time to load), then move to a second position, then shoot standing still from left and right side ports. I did not want to reload between ports if possible. With a 12 round tube, I was able to shoot four targets from my first position and thus have room to reload all 8 of my extra shells during movement. Anything else and there would have been a static reload involved.

I use the Nordic MCX +5 base tube (for an 8 round capacity) and then put a +4 piggyback extension on that (for a 12 round tube). I keep two springs, one for each config. I shoot the shorty for matches that enforce 8 round limits or, conceivably, for a match that put more of a premium on moving in tight quarters than on capacity. Also, I can actually fit the gun in a normal sized drag bag at the 8 round configuration, with the extra tube and spring stored in the bag.

For me, I would load first every time. I load weak hand, so I would dump the pistol with my right hand, then grab the shotgun, and already have a quad in my left hand as I picked the shotgun up. It would be more of a question if you are loading strong hand, but a timer and some practice would give you the best answer. I have had a 12 round tube on my gun for at least the last 2 years, and it has come in handy far more times than it has hindered me.

Load first for sure. Week hand quad load and you can have it already in your hand ready to load when you hit that position if the stage allows. Can also stage the shotgun inn a way where the shells go right in, instead of picking the gun up then taking back off to load

I'd shoot first in anticipation of a few misses and then reload a number that seems to make sense (assuming I'm even capable of doing any kind of math after the start signal :goof: ).

Load first. It will be faster than breaking the gun from your shoulder and then remounting it. Pay no attention to my crappy performance but here is exactly what you are talking about. In this stage the shotgun only had 5 rounds in it. I added 1 slug and 3 bird.

https://youtu.be/U1Csjms3TpI?t=1m

Edited by Paul-the new guy

I have been wondering about switching to a 12 rd tube also. I know I need to do it but I just like the balance of the 10 rd tube and a 24" barrel.

Don't worry, it will balance the same. When empty.

I like the 12 round tube. I'm in the load immediately camp. Seems to be smarter than remounting the gun. I'd rather just start fully tube loaded. I also run a 10 round tube. I like the evenness on my 26" barrel. If I could find a 30" barrel for my SBE, I'd go for even more rounds in the magazine.

For me, it very much depends on the stage. For a straight-up stand-and-deliver as you describe (shooting only from one location), then I would definitely load first. However, if I need to shoot 8 rounds or less from the first position and then have some movement before the next, then I will generally save the load until I'm moving. Basically, I try to avoid loading while standing still if it's possible.

One of the tricks I've picked up for those times when I will load first is to stage the shotgun upside down (lifter up). Not only does this make it very easy for me to pick up the shotgun and throw in a quad (I load weak hand), but it's also a good visual reminder in the event that I forgot I was going to load first.

Either way, the 12 round tube is a huge advantage. When it switched from a 9 to a 12 it opened up lots of loading options that were not there before.

A

I would say it depends on the difficulty of the targets. If they are close and large, load first. If they are small and distant, you might have a miss and the mid shooting reload gives you the chance to easily load enough to finish out the array.

I've been pondering a 11rd tube up from my 10 but I don't know if I want all the extra tube out there past the barrel (24" beretta). Already sticks past.

I would say it depends on the difficulty of the targets. If they are close and large, load first. If they are small and distant, you might have a miss and the mid shooting reload gives you the chance to easily load enough to finish out the array.

I've been pondering a 11rd tube up from my 10 but I don't know if I want all the extra tube out there past the barrel (24" beretta). Already sticks past.

What's wrong with it sticking past?

Once you get that 12 round tube on you'll spend so much time on the podium hosing down fans and bikini models with a giant champagne bottle that you will forget all about petty things like aesthetics.