Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Trojan or 9mm Range Officer? Please help me decide ...

igolfat8

Metalform mags. They work, they're inexpensive and they work. Dawson Precision uses their tubes, springs and followers, and Dawson Precision doesn't sell junk under their name.

They hold rounds like their life depends on them. Unloading by hand is a pain (since I'm not doing that on the clock, it's of no concern to me), but I've never had a mag not drop freely because the rounds were moving forward and impeding the dropping of the magazine. I've also never had any rounds fall from the mag when it hits the ground (not that would matter with regards to function).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: If you have a 9mm single stack the weight is going to be the problem. The Dawson Ice with steel mainspring housing will make it overweight I think. The Dawson Ice with the gap insert and aluminum mainspring housing is what I have on a Springfield loaded model in 9mm. I also have the Dawson IPSC as well on my backup 9mm. S&A make an all aluminum magwell also. For a 45 the steel magwells will work just fine. Grips are another easy weight saver. Thanks, Eric

Is there a drop-in magwell for an otherwise stock 9mm RO that will make weight? Or will I have to trim weight in other areas first?

I have a Loaded Target 9mm, makes weight easily (41.6 oz with Metalform mag) with an EGW stainless steel magwell. Only change I made was a standard GI guide rod and wood grips. The Metalform mags have a plastic basepad, which probably helps as well.

Just to muddy the water further, why not consider the SIG Traditional Match Elite? It comes already checkered on the front strap, ambi-safety, just needs a magwell and fiber front sight.

EGW magwells for the 1911 and their new 2-piece MSH/magwell are a little oversized compared to the SAs I've seen. The EGWs have parallel sides, and quite a lot of material can be removed if you blend it to your grip panels, especially if they are thin.

IPSC Compliant SP Techwell weighs .6 oz.
IPSC Compliant TGO Techwell weighs .6 oz.
IPSC XT weighs .95 oz., IPSC Compliant Carry weighs .4 oz
and finally our Original XT Techwell weighs 1.2 oz.

Techwell weights

http://techwearusa.com/techwell/

Just be aware you need their grips or a dremmmel tool

Edited by terrydoc

I have both in 9mm. After tweeking the r.o. It shoots as good as the Trojan. I just replaced the mainspring housing to get rid of the ils system and polished up the internals. They both shoot equally great. I use skateboard grip tape for the front strap on both. I also replaced the front sight with fiber on the Springer. With upgrades to the r.o., it's my favorite between the two.

I may be veering slightly off topic but since its my thread ... :bow: ... what minor loads are you running in your RO or Trojan?

147 gr. Ibejihead

3.3 gr. Universal

1.15 OAL

Makes around 130 PF

• 2 weeks later...

The only knock I would give the Trojan is the chainlink on the front strap. A little too aggressive. A fine pistol.

No experience with the other. Of course I love my Ruger, Rock Island and Para, so many would say I have poor judgement.

My SA's trigger job on factory parts (except for springs, the sear spring was really crude and I bought a 19 lb mainspring for the de-ILS) is holding up well.

No need for expensive milled parts unless you are going for a very light pull.

I have various 10x9mm magazines that work fair to good but am currently leaning towards the McCormick XP which has the front spacer and ramp similar to the good 9 shot Metalform/Springfield/Leatham.

Too aggressive? That's interesting. Lots of folks, myself included, think they are NOT aggressive enough.

I have big hands so always have to add to the 1911 grip. The trojan left me raw, perhaps just my issue.