Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Rifle instead of Small Pistol primers

tanks

I am down to 1,500 small pistol Federal match primers which will be gone in a few weeks and no replenishment in sight. I do have 10,000 small rifle Federal match primers.

I did a forum search and it seems there are number of people using SR primers instead of SP primers without any issues.

Just checking if there are problems with it since then.

I will be using it with N320 in .40 S&W and 9mm with Titegroup.

Thanks in advance.

I did some testing recently on Primers and thought I would share the results.

Caliber: S&W 40

Barrel: 5 inch bull

Bullet: Bulletworks 180 gr RNFP (round nose fully plated)

Powder: N320 4.5 gr.

5-10 rounds per test (not all rounds registered on the Chromo)

Federal Small Pistol #405: FPS 922 PF 166

Federal Small Rifle #100: 922 FPS PF 166

Winchester Small Pistol: FPS 917 PF 165

Winchester Small Rifle: FPS 924 FPS PF 166.4

As you can see very little difference between them.

Some folks posted several years ago about erosion on the slide around the firing pin hole due to gases passing around the primer. It was blamed on lower pressure "minor" loads while using rifle primers.

If you do a search I'm sure the information is still out there.

That said, I use rifle primers for Major 9 loads and pistol primers in all other 9mm loads.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. Out of 1,300 rounds fired over the last 3 days I got about 5% primer strikes where the round did not fire. This was on a CZ 75 TS in .40 S&W. I was using AR Rifle Mathc primers from Federal. I guess I will have to keep searching for pistol primers as I can't afford misfires during a match.

Just an update. Out of 1,300 rounds fired over the last 3 days I got about 5% primer strikes where the round did not fire. This was on a CZ 75 TS in .40 S&W. I was using AR Rifle Mathc primers from Federal. I guess I will have to keep searching for pistol primers as I can't afford misfires during a match.

Do you have the extended firing pin in it?

If not might want the extra insurance it offers.

What # hammer spring?

I have a 15lb and no extended firing pin with zero issues but I flatten them when seating them.

I use S&B and love them

Edited by GJGary

Do you have the extended firing pin in it?

If not might want the extra insurance it offers.

What # hammer spring?

I have a 15lb and no extended firing pin with zero issues but I flatten them when seating them.

I use S&B and love them

I have the factory firing pin and the factory hammer spring. I talked to Automatic Accuracy and they are sending me a lighter hammer spring.

Tanks, there are plenty of spp available here: www.powdervalleyinc.com. If you cant make a big enough order alone to be worth it, pass the word among your shooting buddies & put an order together. If you fill the order, hazmat & shipping together will add less than $2/k primers or pound of powder.

Thanks for the info. I ran a test of CCI primers. Out of 100 I had zero issues. I loaded about 200 for a match yesterday and again no issues. I guess I will be switching to CCI from Federal as Federal seems to be unavailable. I have 4,700 CCI primers in hand and that should last me for the next six weeks and I will order about 10K from Powder valley as well.

i run Sr in my guns with firing pins in 40 and 9 major. i only run spp in my regular loads in 9mm as i have found that my glocks and mp with lighten striker springs won't light SRP 100% of the time.

if you are gonna get primer i would just get Win. i have found them just slightly less sensitive than feds.

• 1 month later...

If loading to major pf I would not hesitate to use a SR primer instead of a SP primer (except the primers marked SR .223; too hard). I once ran 10k SR primers through an Edge with no noticeable breachface erosion. But because I'm loading a lot of 9mm minor for Production/PCC I'm ordering SP primers now, and keeping my stash of SR primers for my AR.

I used to use Small Rifle Primers in pistol, never had a problem until the last batch of S&B Primers.

Now I am back to CCI SPP.

Same here, had a problem with my last batch of S&B SRP. First problem was they were very hard to get seated in my 650. No problems with CCI or Win SRP's. Even after re-seating all they would not fire consistently in my 38Super DVC. This was an experimental 9mm load. Several light strikes. Figured it was just the gun. Tried them in my Glock 19, same problem, tried in my Glock 34 and they fired. Not sure what is going on, but sticking with CCI.

gerritm

• 3 months later...