Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic Question for Carry Optics

Blue Jacket

Thinking of trying CO. Looking at setting up a Sig320.

Trying to determine if the RMR is worth spending 2x what a Burris Fastfire 3 costs? Also what do people think of dot size. 4 vs 8 MOA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ive been using my RMR for over a year now.. and no complaints,still on the same battery . Ive never had to re zero it either.

Shoot matches almost every sunday.. Steel Challenge, 3 Gun, USPSA

Edited by Underwood

I have an rm07 on my g19. The window is pretty small. If I had to do over again, I'd get a Romeo or delta point pro. But I already have a custom slide with rmr cut so I can't swap to another red dot.

They're windows are bigger and would give you a slight edge on finding your dot.

But the rmr is just fine. Works great, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a FF3 on my Glock 17 and use it for USPSA and steel challenge matches. It hasn't given me any problems yet.

Copy that. I ran a FF3 on a Glock 17 as well in USPSA. Worked great and held zero. Only problem I had was the ejected cases were slamming against the FF3 frame, glass was never damaged and took a few hits. But the outer edge of the frame looked like a serrated knife edge :surprise: .

Have since changed to Open. Using a Glock 31, Carver Mount, Comp. etc... Now the FF3 sits forward of the ejection port.

CO option the red dot was good from 7-15 yards. Now with set up for Open Major, the higher bore axis to red dot, I have to compensate out to 15 yds.

I've owned RMR and FF3. RMR is trijicon bullet proof and for an actual carry gun optic I'd definitely go with that. But the window is small. Learning to find a dot takes some time and the smallest window is probably not the best option for competition gaming. The ff3 is solid. Seems to have bigger window and bright dot. 8 and 3 moa options.

I'm looking at open in the near future and trying to find the best micro dot option.... Seeming like rts2 or delta point or the new Sig Romeo 3 has the biggest glass in the micro market. Now maybe I'm way off base and admittedly almost all my dot experience is with rifles. But a bigger window In a smaller package seems to be the goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

We use Doctor Sights, they are 3.5 MOA and work great, no on/off button and it is German glass and a metal housing.

You don't buy them for the price, you buy them for the quality and the reliability.

I use a Vortex Viper 6 moa but if I could buy an optic again I would get one that has the biggest area of glass. Preferably tallest,like a Cmore.

Here is a video of a p320 from a local GM. and a Delta Point Pro

The Doctor sight does not have a huge glass, and I have no experience with different dots, but....

It's a 9 minor load, I never lose the dot once I get it. It's not a rifle scope where you are looking through the glass, you are looking at the target and the dot appears.

IF you get a bad grip and the dot is not there, not sure a bigger glass is gonna help, but like I said, not sure. If the bad grip causes you to need a bigger glass, you are most likely not on the target anyway. Me thinks you don't need bigger glass, you need more dry fire practice

I bought a RTS 2 to try on a Glock MOS, but haven't installed it yet. Based on reports, I am especially optimistic that Aimpoint will announce a pistol specific optic at NRA, and that will be the category buster.

vortex viper if you can find one was made for milled slides and has a 6moa dot. I have one on my 929. Warranty is as good as it gets with Vortex. We'll see how my second one holds up. First one glass broke but I'm hoping I just got a bad one on the first try.

I bought a RTS 2 to try on a Glock MOS, but haven't installed it yet. Based on reports, I am especially optimistic that Aimpoint will announce a pistol specific optic at NRA, and that will be the category buster.

An Aimpoint scope would be interesting. Also waiting to see the Romeo-1 from Sig.

Went to install just arrived C-More RTS 2 on my Glock MOS, and was disappointed to find out that it is NOT compatible with the Glock MOS adapter plate designated for the C-More. C-More is closed today, but I will call them next week. Don't expect anything beyond "nope, it doesn't fit the RTS 2, but fits another unit (like the STS 2)."

image_zps3mga2cmu.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Leopold Deltapoint Pro. I don't have much experience with it so far. I will need a lot more practice before I stop hunting for the dot on the draw.

I had my first match with the Deltapoint and had a great time. Not too much hunting for the dot. Still slow as molasses, though. More A hits than I would normally get.

M1911, I find that the use of irons is almost part of my DNA and automatic in their use. But the red dot requires more "maintenance " to maintain the skill. Same muscle memory, so I don't know why. But that's the best I can describe what I find with it. I also like the fact that I get more A zone hits, and just as happy that when I use iron sights I would get one or 2 no shoots per match; ouch! those hurt! Since using the red dot not even one in any match. I don't think that I'm any slower or faster with it, so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Burris FF3's on my XDm 5.25's for CO. I didn't have the slide milled, I'm using the Springer mount that screws in place of the rear sight.

Not that I've shot a lot of matches in CO, but the FF3 works great. No issues at all. And, Burris has a lifetime warranty. And they follow through. I had a FF2 that I bought used some years ago that I had on a AR. Something happened where it wouldn't adjust right or left. I notified Burris, they had me send it in, and they sent me a brand new FF2. Haven't had any issues with my FF3's but after my experience with the FF2 and getting a brand new one to replace it I'm not too worried.

I have five FF3s, all in 8MOA. I've been using them, slide mounted for years. The oldest sits on a 1911. Gun and optic have 40,000+ rounds through them. No failures on the optic and I think it still has the original battery in it. Another sits on the slide of my first Open pistol. No problems. Another sits on the cut out slide on a custom 1911. The dots sits so low it is like using iron sights.

I've not had problems with any of them. I went with 8MOA because I use the pistols mostly for action shooting and the 3MOA dot is harder to pick up when the sun is bright.

The supposed "smallness" of the glass is no bother to me. I've practiced enough and shot enough that I have no trouble finding the dot. Whether I start from low ready or draw, the dot is on the target. Having a smaller or larger glass would not make any difference.

If you get an RMR, make sure it is the very latest RMR2. They have had immense problems with the earlier ones. That is reportedly fixed now. However, I would not spend double the money on an RMR2 unless I had no other option. The FF3s have been so reliable, there is no reason for me to do so. They are also guaranteed for life. All in all, they are a pretty good deal at $220.

Looking at the length of the RTS2, I don't think it will fit on the MOS. I am curious though. Have an MOS I'm shopping for an optic for. Anyone else had any experience with the MOS/RTS2?

Went to install just arrived C-More RTS 2 on my Glock MOS, and was disappointed to find out that it is NOT compatible with the Glock MOS adapter plate designated for the C-More. C-More is closed today, but I will call them next week. Don't expect anything beyond "nope, it doesn't fit the RTS 2, but fits another unit (like the STS 2)."

image_zps3mga2cmu.jpeg

M1911, I find that the use of irons is almost part of my DNA and automatic in their use. But the red dot requires more "maintenance " to maintain the skill. Same muscle memory, so I don't know why. But that's the best I can describe what I find with it. I also like the fact that I get more A zone hits, and just as happy that when I use iron sights I would get one or 2 no shoots per match; ouch! those hurt! Since using the red dot not even one in any match. I don't think that I'm any slower or faster with it, so far.

I think it may be because if you are running iron sights, no matter how you are holding the gun, the iron sights tell you how you need to correct the gun position in order to align the sights.

In contrast, when running the red dot, as I bring up the gun to my eye, if my hand position is incorrect I don't get any feedback from the sight as to which way to move it to find the dot -- I just don't see the dot at all.