Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ of shooter for a social media post?

mosher

I received an email from the MD of a local match informing me that I was disqualified from attending any of their future matches because of a post I made online towards one of the MD's friends.

----

Date: April 17, 2016 at 6:35:09 PM CDT

To: Big Sexy

Subject: [match name redacted]

Dear Mr. Mosher,

After much thought and consideration, I have come to the decision that your future attendance at [club name redacted] matches will not be welcome. I believe this decision to be in the mutual best interest of all concerned, and the best interest of the match.

I have come to this decision based on you most recent unprovoked and unwarranted social media attack on a USPSA member, [name redacted]. To refresh your memory, you posted on 4/9/2016, " the only thing [name redacted] runs off is his mouth". This was in a thread relative to who may be running for USPSA Section Coordinator....

------

The MD cited rule 8.2.2.3 for DQing me from all future matches for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Reviewing the rule cited, I just cannot, even in the most liberal interpretation, justify a DQ in this case, although I am admittedly biased, as this is a match I frequented and enjoyed shooting and can no longer participate in because the MD got mad that I was mean to his friend on the Internet.

My specific situation aside, can an MD DQ anyone from a match for whatever reason and cite rule 8.2.2.3 for justification like this?

Should social media posts or personal disagreements outside of the match be grounds for disqualification from matches?

Edited by mosher

I'm an IPSC guy but as far as I'm aware you cant be DQ'd from a match until it has started. I would suggest the meaning is that you won't be welcome to shoot matches at the particular club, which I would suggest is withing the clubs right to do so however it may put their matches in jeopardy as they are not actually allowing USPSA member to shoot an 'open' match.

We had a similar issue here in Aust where a club banned a club member who then joined another ( club membership is a need for a licence here in Aust) the State body actually told the club concerned that if they don't allow the IPSC member in good standing to shoot their L3 would be withdrawn.

I received an email from the MD of a local match informing me that I was disqualified from attending any of their future matches because of a post I made online towards one of the MD's friends.

----

Date: April 17, 2016 at 6:35:09 PM CDT

To: Big Sexy

Subject: [match name redacted]

Dear Mr. Mosher,

After much thought and consideration, I have come to the decision that your future attendance at [club name redacted] matches will not be welcome. I believe this decision to be in the mutual best interest of all concerned, and the best interest of the match.

I have come to this decision based on you most recent unprovoked and unwarranted social media attack on a USPSA member, [name redacted]. To refresh your memory, you posted on 4/9/2016, " the only thing [name redacted] runs off is his mouth". This was in a thread relative to who may be running for USPSA Section Coordinator....

------

The MD cited rule 8.2.2.3 for DQing me from all future matches for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Reviewing the rule cited, I just cannot, even in the most liberal interpretation, justify a DQ in this case, although I am admittedly biased, as this is a match I frequented and enjoyed shooting and can no longer participate in because the MD got mad that I was mean to his friend on the Internet.

My specific situation aside, can an MD DQ anyone from a match for whatever reason and cite rule 8.2.2.3 for justification like this?

Should social media posts or personal disagreements outside of the match be grounds for disqualification from matches?

There is no 8.2.2.3 unless it is a club rule.

10.6.1 Competitors will be disqualified from a match for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be unsportsmanlike. Examples of unsports-manlike conduct include, but are not limited to, cheating, dishonesty, failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official, or any behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute. The Range Master must be notified as soon as possible.

We have a guy who is banned from our club and therefore cannot attend a USPSA match on club grounds. Maybe this is something similiar?

Not at all ... Being banned from a club means you can't step foot on their property which translates to not attending any matches.

Being pre-DQ'd because of a post online is BS and I'd walk right up to the sign in table and fill out a form to shoot

Actually the MD is within the rules to take this action: "6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match director’s discretion, if the person:
a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or
b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport."

However, there must be more to the story.

I assume we're not hearing the full story.

However, one should not be banned from shooting matches at a club because of an online post - within reason. If you threaten someone's life, that's a different story.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Actually the MD is within the rules to take this action: "6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match director’s discretion, if the person:

a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or

b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport."

However, there must be more to the story.

^^^^^^ This

<<The MD cited rule 8.2.2.3 >>

That may be a hint to "the rest of the story" or the MD may have just quoted the wrong rule.

But either way the MD can use 6.4.4 the phrase "at the match director’s discretion" is pretty clear.

More to the story is the MD doesn't like me, based on my criticism in online forums of the registration process of the state match several months ago, and in his email he oddly explains that when he sees me at other matches I don't talk to him.

I think 8.2.2.3 he cited is a steel challenge rule book numbering. This is a steel challenge match.

Speaking to the range in question, the board of directors insist they have not banned me and say it is a USPSA matter.

I'm not so much concerned about my specific situation, as I know it be ridiculous and unfounded, but at the theory in general of DQing people from matches based on social media posts.

I think you goofed by talking trash about one of their members and now you are not welcome at their club. An apology may be in order if you want to go back

Concur. It is pretty simple: You pissed him/her off. Go un-piss him/her off. You are not going to fix this with the Internet. Beer may help. ;)

Sounds petty to me. Also sounds like an over reaction on the MD's part. Bad mouthing a buddy is not grounds for his actions.

If this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, I would get the SC, AD and HQ involved.

...or maybe speak with the MD. An apology is probably in order (wether you feel your comments are warranted). Let bygones be bygones. You don't need to like each other, but sounds like you should stop pissing on eachothers shoes.

As usual from this guy it's not the whole truth. It's not even the whole truth he posted on Doodie. The email he posted a snippet of above is quite a bit longer and he (maybe) posted the whole thing on another site. When he didn't get the expected response it came here. Simply a lie of omission. It's like saying I was DQ'd by a club for running with a gun in my hand. When the truth is I ran with a gun in my hand with my finger on the trigger, and had an AD that hit the RO. Is the first technically true? Sure. Is it anywhere near the actual truth? No. If I had any doubt this guy shouldn't be allowed on a range before (and I did have doubt about that decision) this took that doubt away.

I sounds like you pissed off the MD and he doesn't want you back. Actions have consequences I guess.

One option is find another club, start a USPSA match and be the MD. Show that guy how much better of a job you can do....

I MD one of the largest matches in the state, the largest 3-gun match in the state, the NSSF state championship, the 2017 USPSA state championship, and am the asst MD for the largest steel challenge match in the state and the state steel challenge championship.

I agree, actions have consequences. This particular person was talking trash on the Internet, and I posted that he runs his mouth too much. I was disappointed that resulted inme being banned from their match, which I enjoyed shooting.

Moving forward, I am curious to know if DQing a shooter just because the MD doesn't like him is allowable under the rules.

I think that sets a very undesirable precedent.

Edited by mosher