Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp coming loose even with red loctite

thompsoncustom

Just like the title says I'm having issues with my comp staying in place. Last time I soaked a 100% of the threads down with red loctite (prematex thread locker) but just looking at the gun right now I seen the comp looked a little off and yup there's wiggle in it again. Only put 50 rounds of 9mm major through it since the loctite.

loc-tite is kinda odd for results....

here is what I do when "It has to hold, no doubts."

I clean both pieces with acetone.

let it dry and do it again.

let it dry and then apply the loc-tite.

this is a potential digression

ever used a copper crush washer?

not sure if they are used on comps.

I recall reading about stoning steel washers to position a comp.... long time ago.

miranda

Just like the title says I'm having issues with my comp staying in place. Last time I soaked a 100% of the threads down with red loctite (prematex thread locker) but just looking at the gun right now I seen the comp looked a little off and yup there's wiggle in it again. Only put 50 rounds of 9mm major through it since the loctite.

While there hopefully is an easy fix I went through this repeatedly on my gun. My gun builder would do it right and within 100 rounds it came loose. Mine was real loose. After 3 attempts he changed the barrel. We figured the barrel threads were out of spec and there was just too much slop. No amount of loctite will cure a poorly threaded barrel or comp

Hmmm comps aluminum I didn't think about the different expansion rates.

I was just looking at things again and the barrel bushing (CZ) is contacting the comp every so lightly as I can't tell it but I can see a little wear on the comp. The fast impact of the slide tapping the comp could be breaking the loctite.

loc-tite will hold pretty good with a lot of slop

they say it will hold a bearing in place up to 5 thousands...

from all I have been able to test, I believe it.

what loc-tite does not do well is hammering/shock.

the comp does a lot of jacking the threads.

give the stuff a chance, it is not steel. it is a glue.

You have to put something the the system to pre-load the threads

so that the metal of the comp is against the metal of the barrel.

think of it this way the glue is intended to keep the nut from rotating off the bolt.

it will not put the tension on the nut.

you can loc-tite the lugnuts on you car but if you do not tighten them

the wheel will come off the car.

put a copper or aluminum crush washer in there and try it again.

luck

miranda

Well I don't think there is any/much slop in my barrel to comp threads but I found some info you guys might find interesting.

Red loctite 271 is listed as high strength and can fill gaps up to .007

2760 loctite is listed as exceptional strength and can fill gaps up to .002 but is very impact and shock resistant.also works fine on unprimed oily bolt.

Edited by thompsoncustom

I wouldn't think the comp contacting the bushing is good. I would think you would want to take a little off the comp so that doesn't happen.

I was having trouble keeping the comp on my glock. Some things I found, make sure the Loctite is new. Also make sure to apply Loctite to the threads in the comp, AND on the barrel. That is what made the difference for me. As others have said make sure everything is clean and degreased.

...contacting the bushing...

isn't the comp supposed to be a bit smaller than the I.D. of the bushing?

for a least a little way.

ah well, machinery and fitting has a lot of possible solutions.

miranda

Even with red loctite, the comp should not come loose with only 50 rounds fired. Check to make sure the comp is not hitting the slide or anything else. If the comp is timed incorrectly, that is probably why the comp is coming loose that quick as it is hitting something.

You need the green loctite for one, but before you use that--make sure that comp is not hitting the slide. You will crack the comp once green loctite is used and the timing is off or you will crack the slide. Either way, it means lots of $$$ to fix.

Another commonly overlooked issue is temperature during cure. Red Loctite (271) must be above 50f during the application & cure. Other flavors require different temperatures. The application & cure temperatures are generally listed at the bottom of the technical data sheet.

Well looked around town today for some red loctite and the only thing in town is the red prematex so I took the comp off and fixed it so I'm 100% sure the bushing and comp won't touch cleaned the threads on both a couple times with acetone and used a lot of red prematex so will see if that does it. If not I'll have to order some loctite online.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Had this problem many years ago on my first open .45. Fix was simple: Remove the comp, drill and tap a hole for a set screw in the bottom of the comp, make sure the threads are clean on comp and barrel, re-coat with Loc-tite red, re-seat the the comp and align, tighten set screw. Never had another problem with it.