Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Delta Point Pro, first thoughts...

Shadyscott999

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot the DPP 2.5 for the first time today. The day was overcast and the dot was quite bright. My 8 MOA RTS2 was about as bright. Both were more than adequate. The 2.5 appears quite large and With any practice shoot be as easy and quick to transition as the CMore. I felt the glass was smaller partcularly in the vertical axis. The DPP was a joy to zero with no lock svrew. These are very early observations. I'll post additinal opinions as available.

This is my gun. I have only had a chance to shoot one match with it but I must say I like the optic.

As I get more rounds down range I will keep updating this post.

Our new Deltapoint Pro mount is ready to go. I've shipped a few of these in the last 2 weeks since they've been done. Same as the RTS2 mount but with the pattern to fit the Pro.

DP Pro Mount 1.jpg

DP Pro Mount 2.jpg

post-40280-0-66379900-1464111193_thumb.j

comparing DPP and RTS2 (right)

post-40280-0-82734600-1464111204_thumb.j

Left to Right: DP-DPP-RTS2

post-40280-0-22129900-1464111212_thumb.j

post-40280-0-37369300-1464111221_thumb.j

Mounted on old DP mount from Cheely

I am very impressed with the DPP glass as compared to RTS2 glass. I have always felt like the RTS2 glass has some type of distortion. It just does not look like a clear window sometimes when looking thru it. I took a picture showing the distortion effect on the RTS2. This distortion is very evident if you take the gun and rock it up and down and watch the horizon. Same goes with moving the gun right to left and watching a vertical reference. The DPP looks great with far less of this type of distortion. See the box highlighting the effect.

post-40280-0-84600600-1464111233_thumb.j

post-40280-0-74312900-1464111362_thumb.j

So far I have not used outside so I can't yet comment on the dot brightness. But indoors the 2.5moa dot looks good and can be adjusted from very dim (and small) to quite bright. The battery door and the adjustments are great. Really well done optic.

Edited by andersonj55126

Update #2 of 2.5 moa DPP

I zeroed the sight today and shot a during the day and evening with it. I love the adjustment screws, so easy to zero.

During the day with direct sun I feel like the dot brightness is ok but I think it needs a brighter setting. The brightness range goes from barely visible indoors to just just enough brightness on the other end. I wish they would have had one more setting to make brighter. Coming from RTS2 8moa the DPP 2.5 moa has smaller dot and is less bright. The smaller dot of the DPP maybe part of why I feel that the DPP is not bright enough. It will definitly take some getting used to this smaller dot. Brightness is one positive of the RTS2. RTS2 can go very bright and I never had to go to the brightest setting with direct sun.

Update #3

I now feel the RTS2 and DPP have about the same brightness just that the DPP has a smaller dot. Not a lot small just smaller.

Edited by andersonj55126

Leupold Electronics Limited Two-Year Warranty

Something else that has swayed me tward the DP is the Leupold lifetime warranty vs the Cmore's 1 year. I had to test the Leupold warranty on my original DP and explained I had a match coming up and I had my DP back within 7 working days. Just one more reason to get a Leupold.

Update #2 of 2.5 moa DPP

I zeroed the sight today and shot a during the day and evening with it. I love the adjustment screws, so easy to zero.

During the day with direct sun I feel like the dot brightness is ok but I think it needs a brighter setting. The brightness range goes from barely visible indoors to just just enough brightness on the other end. I wish they would have had one more setting to make brighter. Coming from RTS2 8moa the DPP 2.5 moa has smaller dot and is less bright. The smaller dot of the DPP maybe part of why I feel that the DPP is not bright enough. It will definitly take some getting used to this smaller dot. Brightness is one positive of the RTS2. RTS2 can go very bright and I never had to go to the brightest setting with direct sun.

Strange. I think both of My DPPs are MUCH brighter than the RTS2.

I will try for a picture tonight comparing the two dots.

Shadyscott999

Do you uses the brightest setting during sunny days? How dim does your DPP get on the lowest setting?

I pretty much leave mine on high all the time. I did turn it down for a morning stage once when it was really overcast. I think the lowest setting is for NVG. You can barely see it.

Edited by Shadyscott999

I hate how thick the base of the DPP is. What I want is a lens the size of the slideride, with a base as thick as a fast fire or original deltapoint. Why can't the manufacturers create that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hate how thick the base of the DPP is. What I want is a lens the size of the slideride, with a base as thick as a fast fire or original deltapoint. Why can't the manufacturers create that?

Having used everything from the original Doctor, STS, and Deltapoint, to the new RTS2 and Deltapoint Pro, I think the thickness of the base is directly related to where the battery compartment is located. The sights that have the battery on the bottom and require removal of the sight to change the battery allow for a thinner base of the sight. Those that have a top loaded battery where you can change the battery without removing the sight have a thicker base because of the battery compartment location. My thought is that the base thickness is a trade-off the manufacturers have had to choose to make for the convenience of a top loaded battery. There are probably other factors involved, but I think this is the main one. As for the size of the lens, that is probably something for a manufacturer or rep to answer as to the why's and wherefores. Again, I think you will find it is a trade-off they have chosen to make for various reasons related to weight, etc..

Having used everything from the original Doctor, STS, and Deltapoint, to the new RTS2 and Deltapoint Pro, I think the thickness of the base is directly related to where the battery compartment is located. The sights that have the battery on the bottom and require removal of the sight to change the battery allow for a thinner base of the sight. Those that have a top loaded battery where you can change the battery without removing the sight have a thicker base because of the battery compartment location. My thought is that the base thickness is a trade-off the manufacturers have had to choose to make for the convenience of a top loaded battery. There are probably other factors involved, but I think this is the main one. As for the size of the lens, that is probably something for a manufacturer or rep to answer as to the why's and wherefores. Again, I think you will find it is a trade-off they have chosen to make for various reasons related to weight, etc..

I agree that it is about where the battery is. But I would retort with, why does anyone care about having a side load/top load battery so you can change it super easily when many of the micro dots have life spans of well over a year? Put a new battery in in March and rezero your gun (because they really don't move that much when you unmount them, so probably only a couple rounds to rezero). I guess that doesn't address the issue of your battery dies in the middle of a match, but again that is so incredibly unlikely...

And as far as lens size, it seems like for competition bigger is better. While smaller might not be a direct disadvantage, most people prefer a bigger lens, all things equal.

I don't think it is a manufacturer or rep thing, it is an industry thing. It just goes to show how completely insignificant we still are in the shooting community, the only thing that the industry cares about are those fat LE/military checks.

Well said and some great points. I think if you like what you are using and it doesn't fail you, rock on. we all like different things and that's a good thing in itself. Good luck.

Edited by a matt

Well said and some great points. I think if you like what you are using and it doesn't fail you, rock on. we all like different things and that's a good thing in itself. Good luck.

Haha that is my current problem, I don't like what I'm using but don't like any of the other available options either. We are just at the mercy of the industry.