Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited gun recommendation

glocklife34

I live in California and i have a strip STI 2011 frame. I want to build a custom gun for USPSA limited, any recommendation who am i gonna send my frame and can build me a gun from scratch. As you all know California gun laws is a mess which wont allow me to buy a off roster gun, so basically sending my frame to a custom gun builder will be the only option.

I'm only a newbie in competition world so help would really be appreciated.

Edited by glocklife34

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat. I sent my frame and a bunch of parts to Matt Cheely. Matt built me a awesome open gun in about 5 months. Matt was never hard to get ahold of and built me exactly what I wanted. I would definitely use Matt again.

All that being said, Freedom Gunworks, Lonestar Innovations, and many others are great gun builders. Gans is the only one of note that flat refuses to work with anyone from CA regardless of how they came about having a frame.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite builders..

Good luck, where do you shoot?

I'm in the same boat. I sent my frame and a bunch of parts to Matt Cheely. Matt built me a awesome open gun in about 5 months. Matt was never hard to get ahold of and built me exactly what I wanted. I would definitely use Matt again.

All that being said, Freedom Gunworks, Lonestar Innovations, and many others are great gun builders. Gans is the only one of note that flat refuses to work with anyone from CA regardless of how they came about having a frame.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite builders..

Good luck, where do you shoot?

Thank you for the reply. I will call Matt Cheely if he can make me a limited gun. But im still considering other builders depending what this thread recommend.

I live in the Bay Area and just. started shooting competitively so not much experience.

Why wait...Shooters Connection has a 2011 in stock now.

Because he can't buy one in California. did you read the first post? My emphasis added:

I live in California and i have a strip STI 2011 frame. I want to build a custom gun for USPSA limited, any recommendation who am i gonna send my frame and can build me a gun from scratch. As you all know California gun laws is a mess which wont allow me to buy a off roster gun, so basically sending my frame to a custom gun builder will be the only option.

Edited by Gooldylocks

Because he can't buy one in California. did you read the first post? My emphasis added:

Yes I did read, I was under the impression certain guns were approved in California and certain business can ship to California. Could be wrong.

He can buy a CZ TS in 40 (on the list) which is less wait and one hell of limited gun. I had one and it is less $$$ than a custom 2011. The trigger on the CZ from CZ Custom is awesome.

Yes I did read, I was under the impression certain guns were approved in California and certain business can ship to California. Could be wrong.

He can buy a CZ TS in 40 (on the list) which is less wait and one hell of limited gun. I had one and it is less $$$ than a custom 2011. The trigger on the CZ from CZ Custom is awesome.

That is actually a great idea, I didn't realize the TS was on there. I shoot a TS for limited and it is great.

From time to time - STI DVC's and EDGEs will show up for sale "used" on Calguns.net

Since they are "Off Roster" it has to be a PPT. ;)

The joy's of California.... :mellow:

Edit: If Matt or Bobby will do the build on your frame, you're all set. ;)

Edited by Chutist

Matt McLearn former IPSC World Champ, owner of McLearn Custom Machines in Payson Arizona. He builds Nils Jonasson's single stack 1911 and limited 2011. Matt is top shelf in every respect. 1-928-468-8984.

I have one of Matt's guns from the 90's. Top Shelf is right, I can still pull that gun out of the safe and know it will run perfect.... ;)

I've purchased from Atlas and from Freedom and both were excellent. I've got something in the works with Cameron's Customs and while I don't have the gun yet, he's been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I've talked with Matt Cheely but haven't purchased anything yet and he was similarly excellent. This is honestly a field where there is almost no wrong answer. All of these guys are top shelf builders with great customer service because in the end not a lot of folks buy $3000+ pistols.

Matt mclearn is definitely top shelf built my open gun a cpl years back love it wait time was around 10-11 months but worth the wait all I did was send a bare frame he took care of the rest and even gives you his cell phone number to call when ever great guy to talk to and deal with plus a wealth of knowledge

Thank you all for sharing. I called a few builder and now im kinda wanting Limcat or Cheely custom to do the work. Cheely custom i think is not accpeting build for now.

Any advice or experience of the two builder im interested in?