Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gun show prices

rustybayonet

The question here is:

Are reloading supplies cheaper at gun shows or the big stores.

I have to work saterday so on sunday I can make a trip to cabelas or the gun show, but only one. Which, do you think, would have better prices on powder and primers?

The only time I can remember seeing something at a gun show cheaper than retail was when the person selling it didn't know what it was worth. Then again, judging by some of the prices dealers have, they don't know what things are worth either. :roflol:

The question here is:

Are reloading supplies cheaper at gun shows or the big stores.

I have to work saterday so on sunday I can make a trip to cabelas or the gun show, but only one. Which, do you think, would have better prices on powder and primers?

I just noticed you live in the Detroit area. Did you look in the Reloading Equipment section of the Michigan Gun Owners website? Sometimes some pretty fair deals pop up there.

Order in bulk and go in with couple other guys to split shipping. Powder Valley and Mid South Shooters Supply are my two favorites. Last Summer Midsouth had a sale on primers with free shipping and no haz mat fee if your ordered more than 5K primers. I used that sale to purchase 20K primers. Cabelas had a similar sale on S&B primers a couple months ago. Watch for sales and then buy in bulk. Where I live there is a 10% sales tax. Online purchases in bulk end up cheaper.

At the Novi Mi show admission is between $5.00/10.00 a person, and parking is about the same. They closed the Taylor Gibraltar trade center, So the only other one is this weekend at the Mount Clemens Gibraltar trade center. (once a month). It is $2.00 parking and $5.00 per person. So I would say that the big box stores or even the LGS/range has better prices. If you live in the area that gets the local shopping paper they do put a free parking on Fridays in it. but it is good only on Fridays. I have only been going to the Mount Clemens shows for a year again I am able to go on Fridays, Most of what I have seen is over priced. I will admit that I have gotten a couple great deals. Mostly because I was looking for some un common items and the vendors were tried of carrying them around.

I generally go to see two friends that sell at the gun shows, D&G tools and Medic man. I have found that Amazon has some great prices on reloading and gun stuff, I haven't checked to see if they sell powder or not.

better prices online if you order in bluk or combine orders with friends to split up the hazmat.

but if you order in small quantities, like 2000 primers or a lb of powder (yes, i know a shooter that does this!) you just may find the guns shows are not to far off.

I go to shows for fun, to get an inflated worth of my old firearms, and never really to buy anything, unless I find something old/hard to find that isn't a complete rip off. I learned long ago, if its still in production or readily available, don't bother trying to buy it from a gun show.

Around here, the prices at the LGS and the gun shows are about the same. The only time I bought primers or powder at a gun show was when the store shelves were bare and I just needed enough to get by. I hate to pay for parking and do not do well in crowded spaces.

Best prices are always found online provided you were able to get enough to make the hazmat fees insignificant. Even though I'm currently well stocked, I do watch for good deals and take advantage of them.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I don't understand how gunshows still exist. I gave up on them 15 years ago. Anything there worth purchasing can be found cheaper on the internet.

If you want to go to buy old gas mask filters or tshirts or questionable reloads sold by the bag full then its the place to be. Short of that alot of it is just items that somebody bought at a good price and wants to flip at a not so good price.

I guess if you live in a really rural area or you're not concerned with price they're ok.

But, they still exist. And people still buy and sell there and the shows pop up everywhere so business must be doing alright.

Gun shows are only good for entertainment and novelties. I always find better prices online.

I go to shows for fun, to get an inflated worth of my old firearms, and never really to buy anything, unless I find something old/hard to find that isn't a complete rip off. I learned long ago, if its still in production or readily available, don't bother trying to buy it from a gun show.

I don't understand how gunshows still exist. I gave up on them 15 years ago. Anything there worth purchasing can be found cheaper on the internet.

If you want to go to buy old gas mask filters or tshirts or questionable reloads sold by the bag full then its the place to be. Short of that alot of it is just items that somebody bought at a good price and wants to flip at a not so good price.

I guess if you live in a really rural area or you're not concerned with price they're ok.

But, they still exist. And people still buy and sell there and the shows pop up everywhere so business must be doing alright.

If one table wants $30, and you get it from the another for $28, it is a great deal!

Never mind that you can buy it for $22 at Cabela's. :)

Gun shows could go away and I would never even know about it!

I agree with all these sentiments. Sadly, the shows are not what they used to be. The pricing on all thing firearms related is insane.

I gave up on gun shows.

Edited by Yeti

Yeah I go for the novelty only really. Something new comes out and I want to actually see it. When I was younger I used to buy stuff off on individuals that were wondering around the show if it was a good deal. I got a couple great deals that way, but anymore any used stuff I like to run the numbers by the local PD which is hard to do at a show. Been an uptick in thefts the last couple of years and I'm not interested in playing the stolen good's game.