Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds fit in your mags

Nimitz

I currently have only been using my open gun for Steel Challenge so I haven't really been paying attention to capacity since I only load up 11-12 rds. However, later this year I will probably start fooling around shooting USPSA open division so I need to start figuring this out. The 140 mm mags that came with the gun have Brazos base pads and I can get 20 reloadable in them. I converted 2 mags with Grams 4mm base pads and internals and I can get 22 reloadable in them. My 170mm mag I can get 26.

I thought I've read in the past where people are getting 23-24 in their 140s & up to 29 in their 170s ... Is this accurate? If so what am I doing wrong?

You are correct in expecting to get 22-24 reloadable in the 140mm, and 28, 29, reloadable and possibly 30 in the 170mm mags to give you 29 - 31 rounds in your gun at the start.

"Brazos base pads" - They are probably Grams, Dawson, or TT...I don't believe Brazo makes their own base pads.

Try the TTI guts and pads, seems like they hold the most

the BUT is not in all the mag tubes

Couple of 170's that held 30

one holds 30 but goes salt shaker

23 is easy with the 140's

My normal is

29 in the 170 so I'm not stressing the grip ( I still prefer plastic over steel)

23 in the 140's, yes they reload

I prefer Dawson pads because of my large hands like the larger base pads and with them I can get the same but it takes a few loading and un-loading's to get it smoothly

My 170's hold 29 to 30 depending on the guts. One holds a tight 31 (and it still fits the gauge).

My 140's that fit the gauge for limited minor hold 23-24.

The 140's for open with 11mm grams pads hold 25-26.

You should try to get at least one big stick that holds at least 29, if you can. The capacity of the 140's aren't as important.

STI 140mm mags with Grams springs/followers and Dawson +1 Basepads or TT Basepads, I am getting 23 rounds of 38SC and 20 rounds of 40SW. I have a MBX 170mm 38SC mag and I get 29 rounds that are reliable. I can get 30 rounds in it but it usually chokes.

The only mags that matter are big sticks. 29 in STI and 30 in SVI. On a 32 round stage do you start with a 140 or 170? See why it doesn't matter how many you get in anything but a big stick.

Sounds like my 140s are ok at 22 reloadable but I should be getting more than 26 in my big stick ... Maybe I didn't count correctly ... I usually use a calculator at work & using your fingers & toes is pretty complicated ... :)

Well you probably can't count wrong, is it a factory STI 170? The factory capacity is 26 rounds, so that makes sense. I have a TTI follower/spring and 4G basepad, I get 29 reloadable. My 140s are tti guts and 7mm TTI pads (don't fit the gauge), hold 24/23 reloadable.

Well you probably can't count wrong, is it a factory STI 170? The factory capacity is 26 rounds, so that makes sense. I have a TTI follower/spring and 4G basepad, I get 29 reloadable. My 140s are tti guts and 7mm TTI pads (don't fit the gauge), hold 24/23 reloadable.

Good thing they don't have to fit the gauge in Open! :)

Alabama State last year they check the mags from everyone. Wow, do you want to talk a people making adjustments, I don't know what they were doing but I seemed to see a few gauges before the Chrono stage, with shooters checking mags.It was awesome. Mainly it was grip tape that was the only issues. Some folks never gaged their mags. Not Good. I treat every match like bullets are pulled and mags will be checked. Good luck.

The 140mm, they only need to less than 170mm, so your 140 should be good for Open, not limited though.

Alabama State last year they check the mags from everyone. Wow, do you want to talk a people making adjustments, I don't know what they were doing but I seemed to see a few gauges before the Chrono stage, with shooters checking mags.It was awesome. Mainly it was grip tape that was the only issues. Some folks never gaged their mags. Not Good. I treat every match like bullets are pulled and mags will be checked. Good luck.

I think Sarge was referring to 140 mags in Open--There is no gauge for 140. 170 must fit the gauge.

Sounds like my 140s are ok at 22 reloadable but I should be getting more than 26 in my big stick ... Maybe I didn't count correctly ... I usually use a calculator at work & using your fingers & toes is pretty complicated ... :)

If you're only getting 26, I assume it's a factory STI 170 mag...even then, they usually can squeeze in 27rds. Upgrading your follower and basepad normally gets you an extra round from each, so you should easily get 28 and possibly 29. I get 29 + 1 with STI tubes, grams guts and Dawson +1 basepads.

The 140mm, they only need to less than 170mm, so your 140 should be good for Open, not limited though.

Yea I'm aware of that, I'm just saying I couldn't shoot them in limited without getting a different basepad situation figured out. I don't understand how people get 24 in limited legal mags...

I think Sarge was referring to 140 mags in Open--There is no gauge for 140. 170 must fit the gauge.

Correct. I assumed from the opening question we were talking Open