Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Powders for coated LRN 124 grains?

ArrDave

I use Bullseye and I think it's not very smokey, but most around me are shooting TG - and I use a bit of it too. I do think it is smokier than BE. In my area, TG #1, #2 is whatever people can get their hands on. After BE is gone it will be RS Competition with 147 for me..

I love Ramshot Competition for .45 ACP but little leary of using for 9mm. Have you used it with 147's?

Edited by BASE772

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the lube, not the lead or the Hi-Tek. There is some smoke from the powder itself, of course, and Titegroup might produce more smoke than powder X, Y, or Z, but it's not like shooting TG with bare lead and lube.

Single base powders smoke less than double, so your choices there are basically N320 and Solo 1000 in the "lowish recoil" department if you want to go with lowest smoke possible. I don't personally think it's necessary, though, and if you'd tell us what specific powders ARE available to you, that might get you a better recommendation and more useful discussion. ;)

Edited by IDescribe

WST if you have it. E3 if you know how to use it.

Almost through the last of my WST and bought some E3 on a whim. Have not worked it up yet, but I assume performance is similar to WST?

As an answer to the OP, WST works well but shows a high amount of inverse temperature sensitivity.

Hello: If you don't crimp the coated bullets enough they will smoke more. If you crimp them too much you will remove the coating making them smoke more. You have to pull a couple of bullets to get the crimp just right. The other thing is if you live in an area with lots of moisture and leave the powder in the hopper for a long time it will pickup moisture causing more smoke. I use Tite Group, HP38, WST, Power Pistol, Unique and N320. They all smoke a little and best used outdoors. Thanks, Eric

Single base powders smoke less than double, so your choices there are basically N320 and Solo 1000 in the "lowish recoil" department if you want to go with lowest smoke possible. I don't personally think it's necessary, though, and if you'd tell us what specific powders ARE available to you, that might get you a better recommendation and more useful discussion. ;)

HS6

Autocomp

Longshot

Titegroup

Titewad

Trailboss (Rarely)

PB (rarely)

Power Pistol (rarely)

W231 (very rarely)

International (rarely)

CFE Pistol

Red Dot (rarely)

The Vv powders (rarely)

700x

800x

• 1 month later...

Red Dot, Unique and Power Pistol have worked well for me. Power Pistol is snappy and noticbley louder though. I plan on giving Tight Group a shot when my local store gets more in stock.

Edited by NateTSU

Many myths out there. What's the problem with TG?

I've shot maybe 20K rounds with coated 147s out of my CZ Shadow and don't notice much smoke. Also 180s in my Limited gun. And my fiber optic front sight hasn't melted. And the gun doesn't get so hot I have to put it in a cooler with dry ice (although a cold drink is a good idea on a hot day).

(BTW, any coated bullets will smoke if you don't use enough flare on the case and it shaves the coating. I use .010- .015" flare, works just fine.)

only problem i have with titegroup is its dirty. Try n320 ;) Edited by Targetpractice