Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp Small vs Large primers

bigdawgbeav

Due to a DQ at a sanctioned match I needed to re-evaluate my ammo. For the most part I was using SPP for lost brass matches since I don't care to lose it. Well, after the DQ for underpowered ammo I went back to the drawing board.

This was never a problem with Clays. It was only after a switch to WST did I notice the reduced PF with the SPP. As usual, this isn't gospel and everyone is different, but I wanted to post the results of the latest chrono session.

Info:

~10 rounds across chrono for each load

~4.0 grains of WST in all loads

~RIA 5" Rock Ultra hi-cap (14.45)

Key:

Bayou - Bayou Bullets RN

BB-PC - Better Bullets Poly Coated RN

LTC - Better Bullets Lead Truncated Cone

chrono.PNG

It's interesting to see that the SPPs were considerably slower with WST than their LPP counterpart. I expected some difference, but not 50fps difference.

DQ for not making power? First thing out of my mouth would be "show me in the rule book" I've never heard of anything like that. Care to elaborate about the incident?

IDPA:

8.3.2.1.6 A competitor whose ammunition fails to make power factor will be allowed to shoot the match, but their total score will be a Disqualification

So I was allowed to keep shooting for no score if I wanted. So there was no incident, 3 rounds failed to make 165 and then another 3 failed to make it in my gun. That was that. Maybe I should have been more specific in that the ammo was DQ'd, not me. But since we already shot a couple of stages I was not allowed to change from CDP to ESP.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

DQ for not making power? First thing out of my mouth would be "show me in the rule book" I've never heard of anything like that. Care to elaborate about the incident?

IDPA:

8.3.2.1.6 A competitor whose ammunition fails to make power factor will be allowed to shoot the match, but their total score will be a Disqualification

So I was allowed to keep shooting for no score if I wanted. So there was no incident, 3 rounds failed to make 165 and then another 3 failed to make it in my gun. That was that. Maybe I should have been more specific in that the ammo was DQ'd, not me. But since we already shot a couple of stages I was not allowed to change from CDP to ESP.

Oh, IDPA. :^)

that is good data. thanks for sharing that. I figure one day I'll load up my spp brass and take it to a lost brass match, but I'll be sure to chrono it first. I tend to chrono with the same lot of ammo a week or two before any major match anyway.

bigdawg, a DQ can only be for a safety violation, but not for meeting power floor. That is just IDPA wording. For a true DQ, you would be sent home, and not be able to finish the match, score or not. What you are talking about is not making the floor, for example, like dropping below minor, no safety violation, you can finish the match, but nothing will show for score. What you will learn to do is to load at least %5 above the floor, because speed varies with elevation and temperature.

That doesn't make sense, did the Match Director show you a rule that says you couldn't continue in ESP? For USPSA not making major would throw you into minor, but you would still score. Of course USPSA power floor is caliber based, unlike IDPA where the floor is division based. They should have let you continue in ESP since it would not have been an advantage, same as if you had a modification not allowed in CDP, or SSP, would throw you into ESP.

Edited by 9x45

bigdawg, a DQ can only be for a safety violation, but not for meeting power floor. That is just IDPA wording. For a true DQ, you would be sent home, and not be able to finish the match, score or not. What you are talking about is not making the floor, for example, like dropping below minor, no safety violation, you can finish the match, but nothing will show for score. What you will learn to do is to load at least %5 above the floor, because speed varies with elevation and temperature.

I saw 3 competitors DQ's for not meeting BUG power factor at a national match in Nov (one is a forum inmate here, and it was discussed at length), they were allowed to finish the match but scores did not count.

~g

safeaction, what IDPA rule did the Match Director site for the DQ? How can IDPA DQ a shooter unless it's a safety violation? What you are talking about is not meeting the power floor. That's not a true DQ. It's just the language that IDPA uses. How in the world can you not make a 95 floor for BUG Division? Might as well be SASS Cowboy, minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps against all steel.

Edited by 9x45

It's a disqualification as stated in the rule book:

The score is a DQ, not the shooter. Changing classes is a different animal. I am unable to find any specific rule that says you can't change after the match starts, but in this case I started shooting CDP. I would then move to ESP. Personally I don't see an issue as I'm actually at a disadvantage. Maybe its just widely accepted that when you start a match in one class you can't just switch to another since the rules are different.

USPSA does major/minor, but that's only with scoring does it really matter. The equipment and capacity rules don't change. In IDPA, the equipment rules and capacity rules are different for the classes. Albeit for CDP and ESP the only difference is 2 less rounds for CDP and must be .45acp.

I was unable to find a specific rule but I'm guessing that since I declared CDP on my registration then I'm required to play by those rules. Had I changed before the match started, then no issues...

Can we get back to the actual discussion now?

I posted this just as a courtesy for those .45acp shooters that find themselves with SPP brass. Strictly an FYI for those that shoot with WST that my velocities were significantly less with the SPPs. It could also be a matter of which SPPs you are using. I don't remember if these are Federal or CCI, I believe CCI SPPs.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

You need to up your load a bit. I have both powders and prefer clays. As far as primer size I've never noticed anything. I put the wst away I'll find another use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Clays were still available, I'd be using that. But I switched to WST and have 8lbs of it.

You need to up your load a bit. I have both powders and prefer clays. As far as primer size I've never noticed anything. I put the wst away I'll find another use for it.

If Clays were still available, I'd be using that. But I switched to WST and have 8lbs of it.

It's still not available? I bought an 8 lb of clays for me and one for a friend that wanted do you get into reloading. When he realized it wasn't as cheap as he thought he never paid me I kept his. At 4 grains a shot 16 lbs will last me a long time. Maybe I'll give the wst another shot.