Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp Small vs Large primers

bigdawgbeav

Interesting info, I wouldn't have thought that would make as big of a difference. I sort out all my 45 SPP and use them for practice, I might have to load some up and chrono them just to see. Although I would imagine it would not make as significant of a difference using Titegroup.

I have tested large vs small primer 230 grain round nose with 5.5 of Power Pistol using dopler radar @ work and have seen minimal velocity variation. The Dopler can check in inches the full distance to the target face, and i have seen only a fee FPS change. I did learn CCI primers are the most consistent of all i have tested. All of my testing was done using the same head stamp brass, once fired. i also checked the radar against the chrono We use and found the chrono to read higher speeds +10 to +15 FPS all the time. Take it for what its worth, this was done is an accredited test lab I was luck to have access too.

• 1 month later...

I use to throw all the SPP 45 brass away but there is getting to be so much of it now I have started saving it for lost brass matches. When I go to load them I will have to see what kind of speeds I get across the chronograph with both SPP and SRP before I kick up the charge.

Well, I must rescind my original reply on not noticing much difference between LP and SP primer velocities. I went to the range yesterday to test some 230 BB and Clays. Well, the FPS were coming out well, between 740 and 775, when all of a sudden, 715 pops up. Minor for sure. To my dismay I'm fearing a powder drop issue, but with one round, maybe it's not so bad. Having remembered this discussion, I looked in the box, and sure enough I had some SP rounds in the mix.

Well, let's load those up Frodo, and lo and behold, every single one went minor, from 715 down to 699. That would have placed me at minor in L10 with .45, and I sure need all the points I can get. Lessons learned big time, never ever assume anything. So much for felt recoil. So, time to root through 750 rounds for SP primer rounds and into the practice bin they go.

A big thanks to the Forum and bigdawgbeav, saved my bacon for this match. :bow:

Edited by mont1120

That is strange as I use SP .45s with 4.2 Clays and 200gr LSWC and Tula KVB-556M primers and did not notice an appreciable change from LP .45s with same powder charge, bullets and brand of cases and using Tula LP primers. This is in a 1911 .45 w/5" barrel.

Mainly shows that everyone needs to check each load they may use in a match to be sure they don't go minor or shoot for score only.

That doesn't make sense, did the Match Director show you a rule that says you couldn't continue in ESP? For USPSA not making major would throw you into minor, but you would still score. Of course USPSA power floor is caliber based, unlike IDPA where the floor is division based. They should have let you continue in ESP since it would not have been an advantage, same as if you had a modification not allowed in CDP, or SSP, would throw you into ESP.

Yep happened to me my load that was 170 PF on my chrono was 164.5 on the match chrono. Hello limited minor shooting a 40. lol

Pat

Thanks for posting the warning and your data, BDB. The differences with some combinations can apparantely be substantial.

Did not think it could be that much. Just never know, it needs to be checked.

I usually avoid using SPP brass loads for other than practice, but using 6 or 7 different common powders I usually only experienced a ~ 8-15fps loss when using SPP brass with the same load compared to LPP brass. Used mostly FED, WIN, & CCI primers.

I bump the powder drop up a tenth in SPP cases to accommodate....may need to rethink that.

Another thought... Were you getting good center hits on those SPP?

Edited by Yeti

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to use all the SPP 45acp brass for lost brass matches. But now I keep it since I exclusively reload and shoot 40cal for USPSA. I always have small pistol primers on hand so it's easier just to buy the one primer size.