Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading supply limits

ohsevenflhx

there may be local fire codes that govern quantities of primers or gunpowder

+1 on this, each state may be different...not sure it's managed at the county/city level, but worthwhile to check around. There's always weird rules hiding out there...

The answer is basically YES.

Most cities / counties have a fire code limit so fire fighters won't walk into an explosive situation.

But would the authority for that not come from the local fire codes and not from SAMMI. I figured SAMMI was at best a recommendation in that regard.

The answer is basically YES.

Most cities / counties have a fire code limit so fire fighters won't walk into an explosive situation.

But would the authority for that not come from the local fire codes and not from SAMMI. I figured SAMMI was at best a recommendation in that regard.

That's correct, it comes from local authorities.

Your local fire code likely sets limits as outlined above. Enforcement is generally non-existent, and no, your insurance company won't deny your claim of you exceed code and your house burns down.

That said, the NFPA provides safe storage guidelines that a prudent reloader would follow. For example, storing smokeless powder in a 1" nominal thickness wood cabinet ensures that the cabinet will have ventilated (burned through) before the powder can ignite preventing explosions.

I build fire trucks and deal with NFPA daily. They are just suggestions. Yes most places use the suggestions to form local laws. But the NFPA guidelines are just that, guidelines. Check with your local fire department. My local department knows that if my house catches fire to evacuate the block. ?

The fire codes at city state or county level are the regulating authorities. They generally refer to NFPA for standards and/or guidance.

Insurance companies also reference NFPA, NEC, NESC, ASME....

A good attorney, adjuster, prosecutor, etc might use those standards or even SAAMI's standards to make their case/decision.

Is there a limit of the amount of primers, powder, or loaded rounds a private reloader can have on hand?

First rule never ever ask Government if there's a regulation ,Law for anything fun or pertaining to 2nd Amendment, u bet there will be, 70,000 pages just in taxes regulations No keep your mouth shut,use your head,store primers powders properly, never move, way to much work,IMOP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk