Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easier way than a tarp to catch brass?

Jrb305

I ran into this at the 2012 NRA Show in St. Louis:

http://brassmagnet.com/

It is a mesh/net that measures like 8 foot 4 by 12 foot.

I have never used it, though.

If this is just for static steel like steel challenge, you could try backing your pick up truck in just so...so the brass lands in the bed.

Barring that...a plastic kiddie pool...or maybe even one of those inflatible pools if the brass won't be so hot to burn through the bottom.

I have a couple of tarps I tweaked a little bit. I bought a brass grommet kit and added grommets around the perimeter of the tarp. Just split the spacing of the grommets that were already there.

Then I took some para cord and wove it in and out through the grommets. At the end of a shooting session, I can just grab the two loose ends of the para cord, cinch it tight and the tarp comes together like a really big bag. Then I can just throw that in the car or truck. Then either inside in the garage or basement (out of the hot sun) I can sort my brass and get it into buckets.

I do wish I had gone with a thicker cord though because carrying it any kind of distance starts to really pinch my hand.

Edited by Chills1994

I have a couple of tarps I tweaked a little bit. I bought a brass grommet kit and added grommets around the perimeter of the tarp. Just split the spacing of the grommets that were already there.

Then I took some para cord and wove it in and out through the grommets. At the end of a shooting session, I can just grab the two loose ends of the para cord, cinch it tight and the tarp comes together like a really big bag. Then I can just throw that in the car or truck. Then either inside in the garage or basement (out of the hot sun) I can sort my brass and get it into buckets.

I do wish I had gone with a thicker cord though because carrying it any kind of distance starts to really pinch my hand.

I was thinking of doing something similar, but somehow put something in the middle of the tarp that I can open up and dump into a bucket. I use a pretty big tarp since my .22 likes to throw them pretty far.

Make your own

• start with some 1/2" thin wall conduit. Bend two lengths with 90 degree bends at each end.
  • Go to harbor freight's web site and get the mesh tarp like ToddKS was talking about in post #9
  • While you're there get some wire tie wraps and attach the tarp to the formed conduit.
  • Cut two pieces of conduit and place them top and bottom with conduit connectors to stretch the tarp. Then attach with tie wraps.
  • Support to almost vertical with two more pieces of conduit.

When we got rid of our swimming pool, I didn't want to put in pavement right away, since the dirt will be settling, so I bought a 24'x36' tarp on ebay, it was $49 shipped.

I used 6" galvanized nails with washers to nail it down around the perimeter. I bought a box of the nails used to fasten the gutters to the fascia, also on ebay, for just a few bucks.

It is a huge surface, nice and flat, and looks just like a concrete slab would. It is easy to keep clean. You need to be mindful and not throw sharp stuff on it, but otherwise it is working great.

I got a black mesh kennel sunshade. It does a much better job than a blue tarp as the blue tarps tend to melt with hot brass and blow around a ton. The mesh doesnt get pushed around in the wind like a tarp does. If you are handy, you could sew in some weight in the corners and save a bunch of money over a "brass magnet". We run training courses with a bunch of the mats out and catch all the dumb government brass that needs to be turned in (with next to zero loss).

I went to Walmart and bought 3 4x12' minnow seins. I cut the floats off of them and then using a set of Hog Ring pliers I "ringed" them together lengthwise. This gave me a 12'x12' mesh tarp very simular to the Brass magnet. I left the weights on to help keep the thing in place when the wind blows. Works great.

AR15-SBR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...