Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reshooting classifiers

Dr Mitch

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uspsa charges 2 dollars per classifier entry. So most clubs (from what I understand, I know locally to me everyone lets you) allow you to just pay the 2 dollars and shoot the classifier again (generally after the match so you aren't holding anything up) FOR CLASSIFICATION ONLY. Doesn't count for match score. But if you have something stupid happen (like today, I had a jam on my way to a ~2.5 second run on steely speed VII), then it gives you a way to really shoot it at the level you are capable of.

That doesn't sound right. Shoot it during the match. Whatever you shoot should be the score sent in.

Better read the classifier manual -- in a nutshell, classifiers are supposed to reflect your current level of performance. So, for match purposes, the first run counts for score. But for classification purposes, if a competitor does something boneheaded or has an equipment malfunction that results in a lower score than the competitor is typically capable of, USPSA believes that he/she should reshoot the classifier.....

It's legal, and it's ok......

After that it's up to the club -- to determine if they have the ability to do it. During the five years I ran a club match for ~ 60 shooters we had a handful of requests to reshoot one for performance. More typical was -- I signed up for the SS Nationals, and need a classification; can I reshoot it with my SS after shooting it for match score in Limited....

reshoots are done all the time ... however, the first attempt at the classifier is the only one that counts for the match ... then you use all the other attempts to get a really good classification score ... :)

And that's not the purpose of a reshoot either -- to reshoot one over and over, hoping for the magic run.....

Once or twice is about the max I'd approve -- but then we had a match to finish too....

Reshoots are either legal or they aren't. Why do you feel the right to determine whether you'll "approve" them or not, outside of the orderly running of the match? Why someone wants to reshoot is frankly none of anyone's business.

Reshoots are either legal or they aren't. Why do you feel the right to determine whether you'll "approve" them or not, outside of the orderly running of the match? Why someone wants to reshoot is frankly none of anyone's business.

USPSA HQ allows for a certain amount of latitude or discretion for match directors to set their own classifier reshoot policy.

The flip side to allowing a bunch of reshoots is, instead, to announce well in advance what each classifier stage is going to be (at each monthly match or at the yearly 6 stage all classifier stage match). That way, the competitors have plenty of time to practice that particular stage starting weeks before the match date.

EDIT: again, USPSA HQ leaves that up to the individual clubs or match directors on whether to pre-announce the classifier stage(s) for each match.

Edited by Chills1994

If you shoot a classifier during a match and bomb it, then reshoot it after the match, which score gets sent in? If you bomb them both, do both scores get sent in?

I can't speak for all match directors, but the first classifier you shot, that is the score that counts in your total or overall match score.

If you shoot the classifier again,and get a better score, then typically that is the one that HQ gets in calculating your classification.

here in southern ca where i shoot most, you ask to reshoot it and pay them $3. the first one you shoot is the one that is for the match. the next time you're up is for the one you paid for. with the tacit agreement that the higher of the two will be the one submitted to uspsa. normally here the classifier is the shortest/quickest stage of the match so if someone wants to pay and reshoot it doesn't mess up the flow for the day.

USPSA HQ allows for a certain amount of latitude or discretion for match directors to set their own classifier reshoot policy.

The flip side to allowing a bunch of reshoots is, instead, to announce well in advance what each classifier stage is going to be (at each monthly match or at the yearly 6 stage all classifier stage match). That way, the competitors have plenty of time to practice that particular stage starting weeks before the match date.

EDIT: again, USPSA HQ leaves that up to the individual clubs or match directors on whether to pre-announce the classifier stage(s) for each match.

Right on OpenB. I charged $5 per reshoot when I was MD. It's none of my business why somebody wants to reshoot. If somebody wants to become a paper GM I'd take their money all day long if they wanted as long as it didn't hinder the match. Same thing as announcing the classifier in advance in my opinion except the match profited more by doing reshoots. That being said the most I ever saw was two reshoots from the same guy in a match.

And as noted, first run is for match score and best run is accepted at HQ

It is my understanding that since USPSA only accepts the highest score, they only charge the fee for one classifier. I have no problem with match directors charging for a reshoot, but they aren't doing it because USPSA charges extra. Match directors, please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't follow the Oklahoma part. Shouldn't matter where the club is located because they should be operating to USPSA rules. The reason to charge for each classifier is a processing fee to send it to HQ.

It is my understanding that since USPSA only accepts the highest score, they only charge the fee for one classifier. I have no problem with match directors charging for a reshoot, but they aren't doing it because USPSA charges extra. Match directors, please correct me if I am wrong.

if I recall they charge for them. When my numbers were off that was always the reason

if I recall they charge for them. When my numbers were off that was always the reason

So, they charge for every classifier shot, but only accept the highest score for each classifier, right?

First one is normally flagged a "B" for classification purposes, or you take the higher of the two with one flagged a "D"......both are charged for and technically recorded

Edited by cnote

So, they charge for every classifier shot, but only accept the highest score for each classifier, right?
Correct

I don't know if that question was directed at me -- but in my case the "once or twice" limit came about because if we allowed more than that the next squad would be arriving at the pit to shoot the stage(s).....

So yeah -- it was largely a match administration decision -- but not entirely. Part of the message of the Classifier Manual also places a burden on match directors to work to ensure the integrity of the classification system. So, limitless reshoots until you get a HF you like won't happen......

My memory jives with Kevin's -- IIRC every extra classifier showed up in EZWinscore as either a reentry for the same division, or as a new entry for a different division (with only one stage being scored).

I didn't like reading other people's chicken scratches on the back of the original classifier scoresheet, after the match, and trying to decypher what was what in order to punch it into EzWin.

So my policy after that was classifier re-shoot scoresheets were going to be printed on a brightly colored paper and cost $10 each.

My point being to disuade people from shooting the classifier over and over again until they were ankle deep in brass.

I knew that my policy wasn't going to be popular with some of the shooters at my match, so I called USPSA HQ and ran it by Val. She was cool with it and said other clubs did the same thing.

Also, it seemed to be my perception or observation that the guys who wanted to reshoot the classifier over and over again were also the same folks least likely to show up early to help set up for the match and stay late to help tear down.

EDIT: had some folks been more helpful with set up or tear down or if they had coordinated with me prior to the match and grabbed an extra 2 or 3 classifier scoresheets, I would have been more receptive to allowing reshoots. I am still of the personal opinion that masters and above should be able to put up their percentages without practicing the classifier over and over again. Cold, basically.

Edited by Chills1994

we allowed shooters to reshoot as many times as they wanted ... after the match was over shooters could go to our scorekeeper/money person, pay $3 and get another scoresheet to reshoot a classifier ... we never allowed reshoots during the match because it would always slow things down. never saw more than a couple of shooters ever reshoot at our annual classifier match ...

Edited by Nimitz