Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Single Stack legal for Single Stack?

SingleStackHawaii

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the rulebook is a little contradictory in this area.

Milling of the slide to insert sights, add or remove serrations, such as cocking or flat topping, tri-topping the slide, lowering ejection ports, cuts that are minor and cosmetic in nature are permitted.

Duplicating features that are on a factory, mass produced slide available to the general public is permitted. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited.

What if a mass produced pistol had cuts that were specifically for the purpose of lightening the slide? Akai's web site states the slide is "internally lightened." The only way I can see getting away with that is if you are copying cuts on a "mass produced slide available to the general public." But again I ask, what if those cuts are specifically for the purpose of removing weight.

Edited by sperman

If the slide has been internally lightened then its not legal for Single Stack. The rules are pretty clear in restricting the removal of slide material for the purpose of lightening it for a competitive advantage.

Which makes absolutely no sense because thats exactly why we tri-top slides.......

DNROI has already stated that stroking a SS is in fact legal. Shay asked before he built it.

Thank you, Shadyscott. I'm glad you jumped in on the topic. I was really confused on the matter of stroking for SS. Can I ask if you know if DNROI gave an explanation with their answer. I'm just curious is all.

DNROI has already stated that stroking a SS is in fact legal. Shay asked before he built it.

Thank you, Shadyscott. I'm glad you jumped in on the topic. I was really confused on the matter of stroking for SS. Can I ask if you know if DNROI gave an explanation with their answer. I'm just curious is all.

That I don't not know. I will tell Shay about this thread and maybe he will chime in.

If what is stated in this thread is true, then all I get from this thread is that the rulebook has become invalid. If you can get something approved by DNROI, the text of the rulebook is invalid.

If the slide has been internally lightened then its not legal for Single Stack. The rules are pretty clear in restricting the removal of slide material for the purpose of lightening it for a competitive advantage.
Colt 38 factory slides are internally lightened. The cuts in this gun match those.

The gun in question is not a copy of a Colt 38, only one aspect is copied. I am not saying that what you did is wrong Shay, but I do believe that several rulings are silly and go against the common use of the english language. USPSA used to be a sport where you could read what was in the rulebook and interpret based on the common use of the english language. 99% of the time DNROI was asked a question, the answer came back consistent with prior rulings and the common use. That is no longer the case. When people are carrying around emails and such from the DNROI saying what they are using is legal when the common useage interpretation in in conflict with such, it makes the rule book invalid. It is not just one such issue, there are numerous cases in the recent past that have similar elements and slippery slopes.

In USPSA SS you're only allowed bull barrels for barrels below a certain length. In so many words it may function as a game-breaker to allow them on whatever fits in the box, since most factory 1911s don't have them. However, since I have no intelligent things to say about what NROI/IROI are trying to do with Single Stack/Classic divisions, I make no judgment.

D5 - 21

Milling of the slide to insert sights, add or remove serrations, such as cocking or flat topping, tri-topping the slide, lowering ejection ports, cuts that are minor and cosmetic in nature are permitted. Duplicating features that are on a factory, mass produced slide available to the general public is permitted. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited.

The rulebook has two competing clauses. They need to define which one overrides the other. There are factory features specifically designed to lighten the slide. One statement allows it, the very next sentence says it is prohibited.

Are external lightening cuts now legal since I can purchase this through S&W? If not, how are internal lightening slots allowed?

170344_01_md.jpg

I doubt that the "Approved" modifications listed in the USPSA Rule book were written with the intent that ANY feature from ANY combination of production manufactured 1911's can be combined to create a FrankinGammer 1911 that is still legal.

NROI needs to step up and delineate what the interpretation(s) of the approved modification list should be.