Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Single Stack legal for Single Stack?

SingleStackHawaii

Akai posted a very cool single stack 1911 on Facebook recently. He maintained that this gun was legal for USPSA single stack division. Despite being very cool, I have mixed feelings about this gun. What do yall think? Per USPSA rules, is this gun legal for single stack?

This is what Akai said on Facebook about the gun in question:

"This may be the most badass single stack out there. The gun is stroked, lightened, tri-topped, fat grip and still within USPSA rules. About as close we as we can get to our Limited guns while staying within the rules.

40.6OZ with an empty mag. Has steel MSH and full length stainless guiderod."

Here is where I question its legality per USPSA rules:

1. Where and how is it "lightened?"

2. Is stroking a slide legal for a goverment model in single stack?

3. How long is the dust cover? Is it under 3.25" measured from the back of the slide stop pin?

Lastly, I would like to point out that per USPSA rules for single stack, "Slide lightening, cuts ports, or any milling deemed to provide a competitive advantage." is not legal. Is slide stroking exempt from this rule?

Pictures attached are of the gun in question. These pictures were posted by Akai on his Facebook.

post-55941-0-30489300-1447212542_thumb.j

post-55941-0-99307600-1447212549_thumb.j

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not positive if this means anything but this is permitted.

•Duplicating features that are on a factory,

massed produced slide available to the

general public.

From what ive read some factory sti short slide models are "stroked" from the factory.

•Duplicating features that are on a factory,

general public.

Thanks for brining that up. I think that is very important. And that would seem to allow stroking. However, the rules continue to say, "Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited." Indeed short slided 1911's have been stroked in the past. Stroking a goverment 1911 is untraditional compaired to stroking a shorter slide 1911. Moreover, Akai is specifically selling "stroked" single stack goverment 1911's as being "flatter" shooting than un-stroked 1911's. Thus, wouldn't stroking a goverment model 1911 be illegal because it provides a specific competitive advantage?

I give a shit. Moreover, isnt this the rules section of the forum? I thouht this topic would be interesting to discuss becuase we have not seen anything like this in single stack before. Akai is taking some very clever ideas and trying to sell them as single stack legal. But are those ideas actually legal? I will be honest, I don't think the rule book provides adequate information to definitively rule if the gun in question is legal or not. Such is why I posted here; to hear what yall had to say with regards to the rule book and the gun in question.

In my own view: Does it violate the written rules of single stack? Maybe, I am not 100% sure. Does it, in my personal view, violate the spirit of single stack? Yes, unquestionably.

Edited by SingleStackHawaii

Thanks for your comments.

In my own view: Does it violate the written rules of single stack? Maybe, I am not 100% sure. Does it, in my personal view, violate the spirit of single stack? Yes, unquestionably.

Then in my view I am very glad you aren't the one being the judge of it being legal. This is not IDPA where personal feelings and subjectivity rule the day.

This seems to cover what he has done on the gun. Is a nice gun that shoots flat nice to have? Yes, but its the Indian not the arrow.

Duplicating features that are on a factory,

general public.

Single stack division does not have a "spirit" it has rules.

And going by those "rules" what's the clear cut answer to his question then?

Not aimed at u Pat but i don't understand all the negative comments. He's not being lazy or anything he cited the rules he has read them. It's not clear so he is asking.

Not aimed at u Pat but i don't understand all the negative comments. He's not being lazy or anything he cited the rules he has read them. It's not clear so he is asking.

I'm at a loss as to why my replies were negative.

The OP asked the following questions:

3. How long is the dust cover? Is it under 3.25" measured from the back of the slide stop pin?

Answers:

1. How can we tell without the slide in hand.

2. Only DNROI can answer this.

3. How can we tell without the frame in hand.

Let' suppose that the OP, or another person, buys this gun based on some of the replies here, takes it to a match and get's bumped to Open division because the dust cover is too long or because the gun is stroked. His defense is going to be that posters on this site said it was legal and that sure isn't going to fly ( NO OFFENSE TO THE POSTERS OR BENOS!). Now the owner has an eight round Open gun.

My point to all of this is:

1. We have NO way of providing a correct answer to his questions. He should be asking Akai about the location of the slide lightening and the dust cover length.

2. He should be asking the DNROI, as Sarge said, about the legality of stroking.

For SS legality, I'd be less concerned with the stroking of it and more worried about the slide lightening and tri-topping. Those are the kinds of things that give immediate performance assistance.

For matches other than probably Nationals I have a feeling it wouldn't really matter though...

Why wouldn't "stroking" be legal in SS? Nothing about the pistol seems overtly illegal according to the SS rules I have read. He didn't even try to make it longer than 5" which might still conform based solely on the box.

I'm just surprised by the tone here. I haven't spent a lot of time on Enos lately but returned expecting the same level of respect I came to find here previously. Profanity, disrespect, and an almost complete lack of anything resembling a constructive comment (not including Pat's). Bummer.

I'm at a loss as to why my replies were negative.

The OP asked the following questions:

Answers:

1. How can we tell without the slide in hand.

2. Only DNROI can answer this.

3. How can we tell without the frame in hand.

Let' suppose that the OP, or another person, buys this gun based on some of the replies here, takes it to a match and get's bumped to Open division because the dust cover is too long or because the gun is stroked. His defense is going to be that posters on this site said it was legal and that sure isn't going to fly ( NO OFFENSE TO THE POSTERS OR BENOS!). Now the owner has an eight round Open gun.

My point to all of this is:

1. We have NO way of providing a correct answer to his questions. He should be asking Akai about the location of the slide lightening and the dust cover length.

2. He should be asking the DNROI, as Sarge said, about the legality of stroking.

Which part of "not aimed at u pat" did u miss?

Wouldn't the below rule make the "Stroking" option illegal? The whole purpose of stroking the gun is to provide a competitive advantage and the only way you can do it is with a Mill.

Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling
deemed to provide a competitive advantage.