Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had another one stuck sideways in a 9mm primer pocket tonight. It was wedged in there so tight I couldn't pry it out with a fingernail. I'm glad there's no way that could happen :devil:

Pretty sick of it really. It's not terribly common but it's averaging about two per batch so far. Next time I start ordering stuff, bigger pins are on my list.

Just had another one stuck sideways in a 9mm primer pocket tonight. It was wedged in there so tight I couldn't pry it out with a fingernail. I'm glad there's no way that could happen :devil:

Not trying to argue the point, and I am sure you're seein' what you say you're seein'

I am just trying to understand how a .300 long pin can get stuck in a primer pocket....Maybe there were some short pins in your kit?

fart_pin-1040567.jpg

Bob

Several of us are NOT saying stuck in primer pocket.

Reboot.

Pin stuck sideways INSIDE the case jammed diagonally. Pin lays across the flash hole as in pic above, but is inside, not outside the case, and pin just long enough in 9mm case to jam ends against case wall and hold on for dear life . I've had some I couldn't remove using a long thin screwdriver. Now when I feel the obstruction I stop and remove, discard case.

Will certainly order the longer pins which should remedy issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ttownracer

Reboot.

Pin stuck sideways INSIDE the case jammed diagonally. Pin lays across the flash hole as in pic above, but is inside, not outside the case, and pin just long enough in 9mm case to jam ends against case wall and hold on for dear life . I've had some I couldn't remove using a long thin screwdriver. Now when I feel the obstruction I stop and remove, discard case.

Ah, thank you. Our friend, Absocold, had me confused, which isn't hard to do these days.

But with your post, and a cup of coffee, I have achieved clarity at last. :D

Bob

Reboot.

Ah, thank you. Our friend, Absocold, had me confused, which isn't hard to do these days.

But with your post, and a cup of coffee, I have achieved clarity at last. :D

Bob

Don't feel too bad. To be fair he did say primer pocket. More than once.

No BobT, you had it right. I (and apparently some others) got some shorties mixed in with the batch of pins that came with the FART. They're getting stuck sideways in the primer pocket. The bad pins look to be a little more than half the length of the others. I got my FART when they first came out, maybe they had some quality control issues that have been fixed since.

I'm planning to replace the whole batch of pins so I searched for preferred size and it seems most people prefer their pins a little bigger than the ones normally supplied with the FART.

No BobT, you had it right. I (and apparently some others) got some shorties mixed in with the batch of pins that came with the FART. They're getting stuck sideways in the primer pocket. The bad pins look to be a little more than half the length of the others. I got my FART when they first came out, maybe they had some quality control issues that have been fixed since.

I'm planning to replace the whole batch of pins so I searched for preferred size and it seems most people prefer their pins a little bigger than the ones normally supplied with the FART.

Got it....I just got mine, and haven't seen any short pins, but now I know to look out for them. Thanks!

Got it....I just got mine, and haven't seen any short pins, but now I know to look out for them. Thanks!

I don't mind sorting brass but now I have to sort my SS pins!!!???!!! lol. Very good to know as mine should be here Monday. Thanks for the clarifications.

The pics I posted several pages back of my first batches of .45 ACP brass...if you look closely, some cases have like huge flash holes. Turns out those were all WCC head stamped. I am surprised pins didn't get stuck in them.

Now I better understand. Those pins stuck in primer pockets were really short. And I don't deprime before tumbling as I only reload pistol caliber's now and have never had an issue so have haven't ever taken the extra step to deprime in advance of tumbling. I guess that is common on rifle reloading so I have that to look forward to.

Good info here so hoping to get some better results from implementing others suggestions.

I've had a few cases with two pins stuck in the flash hole inside the case out of hundreds of thousands run. annoying for sure. the cases were not deprimed.

we could always say FART stands for Frankford ARsenal Tumbler and keep the whole wet/dry FART thing going.....

Just got mine last week...I'll see how they worked...it is louder than expected. Besides using a magnet, how does shaking work with getting all (most) of the pins out of the tumbler (ala the included instructions)?

Just got mine last week...I'll see how they worked...it is louder than expected. Besides using a magnet, how does shaking work with getting all (most) of the pins out of the tumbler (ala the included instructions)?

Terribly. Without some way to tumble the brass in a sieve you'll play merry hell trying to get all the pins out. The water makes them cling to the inside of cases.

Get the rotary sifter, you'll be extremely happy you did. Frankford makes a cheap one that fits over a bucket but I'd spend a few more dollars and get a big one. Midsouth, RCBS and a couple others all have their name on the same one, go with whoever's cheaper that day.

lmnDwrm.jpg

Terribly. Without some way to tumble the brass in a sieve you'll play merry hell trying to get all the pins out. The water makes them cling to the inside of cases.

Get the rotary sifter, you'll be extremely happy you did. Frankford makes a cheap one that fits over a bucket but I'd spend a few more dollars and get a big one. Midsouth, RCBS and a couple others all have their name on the same one, go with whoever's cheaper that day.

lmnDwrm.jpg

I tried one of these but returned it. Everything was great except it was so flimsy compared to my small Dillon. I decided to just keep using my Dillon separator. If you turn it slow you don't need the lid anyway.

I've got the same one (in green) and I put a stainless hinge in place of the plastic ones that finally broke and it has been good ever since. When it broke I contacted Berry's ( who makes all the various colors of the same separator ) and they sent me a new "spinner" which I haven't ever used yet. The good thing about the enclosed ones is that you can spin it up pretty fast and it will remove most of the water as well as the pins from the brass, this without spreading pins all over the entire area.

I agree with Sarge in that the Dillons are much sturdier but the lack of a lid makes the other better for stainless pinning, IMHO.