Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Help Me Decide - 550 or 650

I've been reading as much as I can here on Brian's forums about Dillon presses and accessories, and have visited the nearby Dillon store to see the equipment and discuss with them. I haven't made a decision yet whether my first reloading press will be the RL 550B or the XL 650.

I'll tell you guys some things about myself and maybe you can help me decide.

I have never reloaded.

I shoot, and will continue to shoot, 6 or 7 matches per month. These consist of weekly club practice matches, monthly USPSA-sanctioned, and monthly Steel Challenge matches. For just the matches, it's about 800 rounds per month. I don't see myself shooting more than 1,000 rounds per month for individual practice any time soon, unless my job gets less demanding. So let's say I'll usually be shooting 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per month. In months where I decide to do more live fire practice, I might shoot as many as 3,000 rounds per month.

I will reload primarily .45 ACP but want to also be able to reload 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, 5.56/.223 and .308.

I consider my mechanical aptitude to be good. I am a patient learner. I have a good attention span for details. I don't mind fiddling with small machines.

On the other hand, I like to keep things pretty spartan and simple.

A few of the guys at my club say they much prefer the 650 and even poo-poo the 550.

Maybe some of you will have insight that will help me decide one way or the other. If you think I'll be OK with the 550 but might wish I'd bought the 650 first instead, please say so.

Thanks!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started on an upgraded 450 (same base as 550 just older and without some auto features)... Then upgraded to the 650. I would vote 650 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Best money I've ever spent relating to my shooting. Incredibly easy to set up and figure out. Because it's auto indexing the and pretty much auto everything else I only have to worry about placing a bullet and watching for powder charge height. I wld highly recommend the case feeder as well. Without the case feeder the press is still awesome, you just have to stop every 25 or so and refill the case tube. Once I got the case feeder I really started cranking out ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started loading with a red machine a few years ago, uncertain as to how involved in the sport I wanted to get. After a couple months of use and fiddling and frustration of inconsistent operation I got a 650 with casefeeder. I have run my 650 for well over a year now and I still think to myself every time I start a reloading session "why did I wait so long to get this machine?" You can't go wrong with a Dillon they just RUN.

I was like you. I shot a lot but never got into reloading until the ammo shortage scare a couple years ago. Had a friend with the 550. I decided if I was getting one I want to get a 650 and I did. There are a lot of videos on utube about it. You won't be dissapointed. Keep me in mind. As one newbie to another ill try to help you. I received a lot of help here. It's a great group of guys

If you think you will EVER want any add ons like bullet feeder, powder check, etc get the 650. If you do indeed like things Spartan get the 550.

Don't underestimate the need to load a lot of ammo in a hurry from time to time. You can get about 400 an hour out of a 550. With a 650 with case feeder that doubles. Add a bullet feeder and it triples. But they both work very well for sure

I think your personality and your time availability factor into it as well. If I had to do my whole month's reloading in one session, I probably would not be satisfied with a 550, but since I can leave my gear set up, it is easy for me to sit down with a cup of coffee and crank out 100 rounds every morning in 12 mins or so. As result, I've never felt any need for a faster or more complicated machine.

Also many shooters are real gear geeks. I think the 650 appeals more those people. I shoot singlestack, so I like things simple, with minimal screwing around.

I went with the 650 about 18 months ago. Made the decision based on this....I felt it would be easy to double-charge on a 550 and that the auto indexing 650 took care of that issue. I've added a case feeder and a mini-Mr. Bullet Feeder. This set up takes care of my needs....which are similar to yours.

Edited by gransport

I think your personality and your time availability factor into it as well. If I had to do my whole month's reloading in one session, I probably would not be satisfied with a 550, but since I can leave my gear set up, it is easy for me to sit down with a cup of coffee and crank out 100 rounds every morning in 12 mins or so. As result, I've never felt any need for a faster or more complicated machine.

Also many shooters are real gear geeks. I think the 650 appeals more those people. I shoot singlestack, so I like things simple, with minimal screwing around.

I agree with Moto. I run a 550 and would literally give up one of my guns before i got rid of it. The caliber changes are cheaper and faster on a 550 when compared to a 650 and i think there's less tweaking and complexity as well. I bought my 550 from Brian about 11 years ago and i liked what he told me at the time when i asked the same question - "If you truly needed the volume capability of a 650 or 1050 you would know it."

I think it would be worth it to go with the auto indexing on the 650. One less thing to have to operate with each pull of the handle. If you add the casefeeder, basically both hands remain repetitively occupied with just about the simplest step over and over.

The bullet feeder seems nice, but if you use that, then you have a free hand that is now basically doing nothing...

The unanswered question is how much is your time worth to you. 650 is faster, but cost more. Is your time worth that difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+1. A Spartan 550 is $500 vs a fully loaded 650 is $2,000 (round numbers).

HUGE difference in price.

Has to be worth it to you.

You can load up 3,000 rounds per month in 2 hours/week - that too much time? :cheers:

Sarge,

A 650 + Casefeed + inlinefabrication ULTRAMOUNT, + Inlinefabs ERGO ROLLER HANDLE

+ INLINEFABRICATION "SKYLIGHT KIT" + BEARING KIT, + PRIMER REMOVAL UPGRADE

+ Spare Parts kit, + Machine Cover, + Wrench Kit , + Lockout Die + Dies, + a couple DELUXE

QUICK CHANGES (toolhead, powder measure, powder die,, toolhead stand) with Dies

and extra Lockout dies) + an optional complete other primer assembly, +

Mr Bullet Feeder and your're way over $2000. You could add the Dillon primer fillers at

$318 each, + a Bench Super Swedge, and probably be over $3000 total.Then there's the

Dillon 1500 case trimmer for several hundred $ more even.

Of the different ammo you shoot, how many of each caliber are you planing to reload? If you shoot say 1,000 rds of one of the following calibers .40, .45 or 9mm then get a 650 for that caliber. If you load the other calibers say 100 a month then a 550,

I have a 650 with MBF set up for 9mm. I load .45, 5.56 .308 and 6.8 on a mix of a T-7 and a 550.

Get a 550, see if reloading is for you. Way easier ( and Cheaper) to do all the caliber changes you want. Get your feet wet, and buy a 650 if the 550 eventually does not do enough for you. I started on a 550, got a 650 and kept the 550 for load development, and for doing the "other" caliber when the 650 was set to another. Its amazing how you have a bunch of 9 loaded, the 650 is set up for it, and a itch for limited or single stack match gets ya.

Just plug away on the 550 and you are set.

Not to mention, for me the rifle is easier to load on a 550 in the quantities i need.

I have a 650 with the primer filler, case feeder, 7 caliber changes (3 powder measures) and several factory and aftermarket upgrades. It is the best single thing I own related to my shooting hobby. There were years when a 550 would have been fine, but then there are the times when it is 9pm and I have a match the next day and no match ammo...45 minutes and I am done with a caliber change and gauging all the ammo. Now that I have a boy shooting, and another on his heels, the warranty, speed and ease of the 650 is better and better.

I do load some bolt gun calibers on a Rockchucker. If you had said less than 1K/month, I might have been tempted to suggest the 550, but at 2K, yes the 650. Also, realize that when you start to reload, you WILL shoot more, not less.

I love my 550, but I would also love a 650, LOL. I don't think a 650 will do .308, whereas. 550 will handle all your needs. If you're not doing a ton of .308 (and have the $$$), I'd get the 650 and a single stage for the .308. Having a single stage on the side comes in handy anyway. If you're going to crank a bunch of .308 though. Then maybe just go the 550 route and accept that your production rate will be slowed down on everything else for the sake of an increased production rate on the one caliber of .308.

Sarge,

A 650 + Casefeed + inlinefabrication ULTRAMOUNT, + Inlinefabs ERGO ROLLER HANDLE

+ INLINEFABRICATION "SKYLIGHT KIT" + BEARING KIT, + PRIMER REMOVAL UPGRADE

+ Spare Parts kit, + Machine Cover, + Wrench Kit , + Lockout Die + Dies, + a couple DELUXE

QUICK CHANGES (toolhead, powder measure, powder die,, toolhead stand) with Dies

and extra Lockout dies) + an optional complete other primer assembly, +

Mr Bullet Feeder and your're way over $2000. You could add the Dillon primer fillers at

$318 each, + a Bench Super Swedge, and probably be over $3000 total.Then there's the

Dillon 1500 case trimmer for several hundred $ more even.

If you add all that stuff to a 550 it's not $400 either.really an apple to oranges comparison. None of that non Dillon stuff is needed and is way over priced by inline fab.