Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LC or SC in 627

mchapman

I have been using 38 spcl in my 627, but I think that I can help my reloads on the clock by switching to one or the other of short colt or long colt. My question to those of you that have made the switch, which did you go with and why? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Starline Short Colt with Hearthco Moon Clips. With 160 gr bullets at 800+f/s it's a tack driver.

Uses less powder and the loads seem more efficient. Have to load the 160's over 1.180 oal.

The geometry is better the shorter the case.

I can reload faster and more consistent with them than my 625.

I've been shooting short colts for a number of years. Much better than .38s Accuracy is fine. I can keep then all in the A-Zone at 50 yards if I take my time.

Never tried LC but they should work well.

Short Colt loads were easy to develop, I use Billy 160 grain bullets and some of my own cast bullets that come out at 182 grains. I love the heavier bullet and they will shoot 1 inch groups all day long at 26 yards from the bench.

I've been shooting short colts for a number of years. Much better than .38s Accuracy is fine. I can keep then all in the A-Zone at 50 yards if I take my time.

Never tried LC but they should work well.

Short Colt loads were easy to develop, I use Billy 160 grain bullets and some of my own cast bullets that come out at 182 grains. I love the heavier bullet and they will shoot 1 inch groups all day long at 26 yards from the bench.

What mold are you using for that 182gr bullet?

I use Starline short colt brass w/ 160gr BBI bullets.

Generally, I can reload just as fast with special brass but the real difference for me happens when I really push my weak-hand reload and maybe don't bottom the extractor rod out; the special brass won't quite make it out of the cylinder on the first try and that really screws up the rhythm of the whole process. I have never had that happen with short colt brass.

Plus I can shoot the short colt rounds in both my 627 and 929!

I have a new mold that I'm using it's from Accurate Molds and it's a 147 no groove TC in .358 that I'm powder coating. It shoots really well in my 986, 9mm with BE-86 powder loads from 3.7 to 4.5 getting 115 to 131 pf and I have tried that same bullet in my 38 spcl and it shoots pretty good there also. So I thought that I would try the shorter cases to see if I could get better reloads and shoot as well.

You can only cut 38 special case down to 38 super (.9 or so) without reaming inside of case (not worth it)

I cut some down but found it was much easier just to buy short colt cases from Starline

They last a long time, I think out of 3k cases in the last 3 years I have found 2 split cases

I've had no problems--accuracy or otherwise--with my Short Colt loads in any of my guns. I don't even bother loading .38 Special anymore--well, except for Sam's Marlin carbine, but that's another matter....

Mike have you used any of the 147 weight bullets? Any problems with them?, I see that most are using VV powders, which I have none but I do have quite a few other maker powders, BE-86 Bulleye, Power Pistol, Auto-comp, Longshot,Red Dot,and 231/HP-38, all of which work well with the 38's the 9's and the 45's that I have been shooting. I would hope that I can get one or two of these powders to work well with the Long Colt/Short Colt if I switch.

I had some keyholeing issues with a batch of 160 grain bullets but found that they actually were sized for 9mm. Got some .358 sized Bayous and all is good and accuracy with the Short Colts is good.

Also, I tried cutting 39 special cases to .900 and didn't have good results. I spent about 4 months messing with cut cases and finally tossed in the towel and went to starline short colts. In hind sight I did learn a few things, but knowing what I know now I would have gone straight to the short colts.

I've had no problems--accuracy or otherwise--with my Short Colt loads in any of my guns. I don't even bother loading .38 Special anymore--well, except for Sam's Marlin carbine, but that's another matter....

Mike have you used any of the 147 weight bullets? Any problems with them?, I see that most are using VV powders, which I have none but I do have quite a few other maker powders, BE-86 Bulleye, Power Pistol, Auto-comp, Longshot,Red Dot,and 231/HP-38, all of which work well with the 38's the 9's and the 45's that I have been shooting. I would hope that I can get one or two of these powders to work well with the Long Colt/Short Colt if I switch.

My favorite bullet was the Zero 150-gr. jacketed RN in .356". Notice I said "was"--they don't seem to be making that bullet anymore. I am now running the MG 142-gr. pointy bullet. It's working OK.