Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting paper only at a match

Youngeyes

Admiral Nimitz, Sarge identified the match as BGSL Kentucky Sectional, not Youngeyes, in post 2. I didn't see it either, but if it's anything like their 3Gun, it will be kick ass, steel or no. And without steel you don't have to listen to all those whiner wawa's running a 126 power floor bitchin that it's not calibrated!

And then the whiner wawa's will bitch if their is too much steel because they have a standing reload in production, or the Texas star is too far away minor, the polish plate rack goes to fast, I can't see the B zone plates unless someone paints them, how do you expect me to shoot a mini popper at 40 yards strong hand. Finally, well I hit it, you should call it even if it didn't go down (what, you thought this was Steel Challenge?).

Edited by 9x45

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's in poor taste to call out a match and a hard working MD on their choice of targets for a match.

This

If he had done that -- identified the match and MD publicly, you might have that something.....

I for one had no clue which match he was talking about until Kevin outed the match.....

Hmmm. I guy posts in the matches thread about his disappointment and within minutes starts a thread about the disappointment and I outed the match?!?

Now that's funny!

I probably should have said for him to run his matches the way he sees fit . Oh , wait......

Yes, plates are a PITA.

The same could be said of anything else.......

......right up to the point where we figure out how to manage it appropriately....... :D:D

Then again, I thought the sport was about excellence, not catering to the lowest common denominator.........

Like I said , plates are a pain in the ass.

I've shot nearly 20 matches this year all around CA and have yet to see a Texas Star. More steel is better steel. I like steel!

As a shooter I love Texas stars. As an MD I hate them. Very high maintenance, to easy to have REF, plates need matched to the arms to achieve consistency, etc. I put one in a state match and won't make that mistake again.

I've shot nearly 20 matches this year all around CA and have yet to see a Texas Star. More steel is better steel. I like steel!

As a shooter I love Texas stars. As an MD I hate them. Very high maintenance, to easy to have REF, plates need matched to the arms to achieve consistency, etc. I put one in a state match and won't make that mistake again.

Same.

I love seeing those when I got to matches but not a fan of setup, lol.

He identified the MD to everyone who's signed up for the match. That's enough for me.

To the OP: You should shoot the match first and then express your opinion of how it went. Speculating up front....what's the point?

If you don't like it in the end, well, I guess you can save your travel $ next year.

I must be reading a different thread then everyone else ... i don't see where he identified the MD or match ...? Are you saying that Youngeyes is such a well known shooter that all he has to do is say "I'm shooting a match .." and everyone knows what match it is?

Anyone who signed up for the match and has been following that match's thread here knew instantly who and what he was talking about.

Maybe you don't know, that doesn't mean no one knows or can't easily figure it out.

I think it's in very poor taste to start speculating and second guessing the outcome of the MD's decision without ever even shooting the match. To wit:

Is steel such a real time waster that it is being eliminated in a level 2 match? Has this been done before and is of proven value? Will this be the new wave of USPSA shooting?

Admiral Nimitz, Sarge identified the match as BGSL Kentucky Sectional, not Youngeyes, in post 2. I didn't see it either, but if it's anything like their 3Gun, it will be kick ass, steel or no. And without steel you don't have to listen to all those whiner wawa's running a 126 power floor bitchin that it's not calibrated!

And then the whiner wawa's will bitch if their is too much steel because they have a standing reload in production, or the Texas star is too far away minor, the polish plate rack goes to fast, I can't see the B zone plates unless someone paints them, how do you expect me to shoot a mini popper at 40 yards strong hand. Finally, well I hit it, you should call it even if it didn't go down (what, you thought this was Steel Challenge?).

fair enough ... when he said "he" I thought he was refering to the OP, not Sarge ....

at my Steel Challenge matches its always ... "do you want us to paint before your run?" "No, that's ok" .... "Stand-by" "beep" .... ding, ding, ding, piff, ding" ... you missed plate 4 ... no I didn't ... I want to go check it .... yeah right, there are like 15 marks on it becuase you & the last 3 guys didn't want paint ....". "I want to talk to the MD .." "I am the MD". "Oh, never mind ...."

Edited by Nimitz

getting back to the OP's question ...

I've never shoot an 'all paper' match in the 3 1/2 years I've been shooting. Not sure I'd care all that much as long as the stages were interesting ... I don't necessarily equate steel = interesting stage ....

I do like PPRs but you'll never see one at a lvl 2/3 ....

Edited by Nimitz

fair enough ... when he said "he" I thought he was refering to the OP, not Sarge ....

I was referring to the OP

Like I said, you obviously didn't make the connection. But I did, and did so immediately. And I doubt Sarge and I were the only ones

Edited by elguapo

An indoor range where I shoot matches has outlawed steel because of lights being broken by schapnel, but the stages are creative and challenging so I haven't noticed. "fun steel" on the other hand is pretty lame with paper plates :sight:

Paper plates is what our local winter indoor match uses! But it looks like another indoor facility may be coming online that may use actual steel

East side of Cincy. Check out the discussion on FB southwest Ohio practical shooters. Plus a new facility is being built just off Union centre exit on 75. I'm hoping they someday embrace USPSA as well

What does it matter what match it is? The question is relevant to any match. As an inexperienced shooter, he is asking a serious question, one that should be answered without all the crap about what match it is.

As for the question, I've never really given it much thought. If it's there, I shoot it...if it's not, I don't. I like hearing the ping of the bullet on steel, and the instant feedback that comes with it, but steel can also slow you down alot. With paper, many times you don't know that you've had a "mike" till the scoring, and as such, you put 2 rounds in that direction and move on. A "mike" costs you 10 points. 5 points for the mike, and 5 points for the "A" zone hit you didn't get. But, it can save you a ton on time, if you can't hit that steel. Steel slows you down cause most won't move on till that steel goes down, so they will waste tons of time, trying to get those last few plates down so they don't get the "mikes" and still probably fail to get all of them down, resulting in a run that should have been 22 seconds turned in 44 seconds, with potential "mikes" on paper AND steel. And add on top of the the calibration requirements, reshoots, etc., it can add alot of time to the match. Not saying you can't have many of the same issues with paper (wind blowing targets over, un-pasted targets, perfect doubles, edge hits, and so on), but they are much less frequent and more easily fixed....usually.