Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Survey

Reshoot

I am primarily a revolver competitor. I like seeing the variety of divisions and equipment that people use for them. I supported the change to allow revolver division to allow 8 shot revolvers, although I have no current intention (unless maybe I come by an 8 shot revolver by way of a gift) of shooting the division with an 8 shot. I am however considering getting a Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP/45 Colt (but that is beside the point).

I think that CO would be a welcome division to USPSA, and would give shooters who were interested another avenue to pursue and try to master. I myself still have my focus on improving my ability in revolver division, and if I were to decide to shoot an auto it would probably be a single stack.

I hope that the division get approved (and the weight issue changed if it needs to be for the sake of the division), and look forward to seeing the variety (or lack thereof) that the participants in the division use.

Edited by Blueridge

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...maybe convince them to move to Open...

I often see thoughts along these lines this stated. (And with the "WO" comments and all...)

As if CO is only a "newbies" division or something, or that it is somehow super cheap to enter, or doesn't attract those of us who already shoot Open. All of which is completely wrong.

...maybe convince them to move to Open...

I often see thoughts along these lines this stated. (And with the "WO" comments and all...)

As if CO is only a "newbies" division or something, or that it is somehow super cheap to enter, or doesn't attract those of us who already shoot Open. All of which is completely wrong.

Agreed. Just like Production is not a gateway to Limited. I have been there and done that with Open. It's just not for me.

I have shot two local matches with my CO/ P09.The scoring has not caught up as of yet so I get scored Open/Minor,but that's ok.

I am looking forward to shooting this Division full time,love my P09

That's too bad - wonder what that club is waiting for? I think our guys just flipped a switch in practicscore to add it, we've had last 4 matches where it was an option.

Since I have the dumb CA DOJ pistol roster to deal with I went the cheap route and just added a dovetail sight base to my old Glock 34 I used in IDPA SSP and will mount a Trijicon RMR I was given on the pistol this Friday. Will probably shoot it in some generic 'action pistol' matches a bit first to see how I feel about it. Maybe an all steel match we have locally.

But I'm happy to have the diversion from Production and can't wait to report back my experience.

• 2 months later...

shot a couple of matches and like it. not sure why there is a weight limit restriction unless the "plastic" gun manuf. were the driving force behind it. My .02 is it should have been called production optics and all the same rules apply as production except the addition of a slide mounted optic, maybe then the mag. capacity complaint wouldnt be an issue then.

Edited by ormondopen

Re comment on 15 rnd vs 10. With 15 you now have to have 2 divisions: one with 15 and one with 10. Otherwise, states with 10 capacity restrictions are left out. Might not be a bad idea to do that. Then maybe people would start voting the idiots out of office and start doing away with stupid laws.

Re comment on 15 rnd vs 10. With 15 you now have to have 2 divisions: one with 15 and one with 10. Otherwise, states with 10 capacity restrictions are left out. Might not be a bad idea to do that. Then maybe people would start voting the idiots out of office and start doing away with stupid laws.

no, states with 10 round capacity restriction will just go to 10 rounds. there's already a rule for that.

no, states with 10 round capacity restriction will just go to 10 rounds. there's already a rule for that.

Except that won't work where grandfathered magazines are allowed :)

So maybe they should just change the wording to indicate that in restricted states that allow grandfathered magazines the limit is 10. I mean we want to be fair, right? :P

You might be allowed to have the magazines, but the law restricting capacity are imposed equally across the board:

3.3.1: In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, that maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all competitors in the contest. Any such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match.

You might be allowed to have the magazines, but the law restricting capacity are imposed equally across the board:

3.3.1: In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, that maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all competitors in the contest. Any such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match.

The NROI was asked last year to clarify that rule. We were told that it doesn't apply to states that allow "grandfathered" magazines.

RE Rule 3.3.1. So if a state prohibits possession of a magazine with a capacity > 10 rnds, how does a person from that state compete in a USPSA competition held out of state in a division like Open, Limited, or CO if it had a mag capacity limit of 15 and not violate the state law?

RE Rule 3.3.1. So if a state prohibits possession of a magazine with a capacity > 10 rnds, how does a person from that state compete in a USPSA competition held out of state in a division like Open, Limited, or CO if it had a mag capacity limit of 15 and not violate the state law?

Magazines in possession prior to a cut-off date are allowed in a few states.

kmca - could you point me to that ruling from NROI regarding grandfathered mags? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

I believe it was Amadon that made that ruling, so it was a while ago. I'll look to see if I can find it.

He would have to borrow magazines when he goes to those states to be competitive or competes with his 10 round mags...People from Canada come down here to the US and compete in Open with 10 round mags all the time...some will borrow mags from friends or they will buy the hi-cap mags and leave it with the friend when they go back.

Thanks kmca! Post #49 in that thread.

He didn't really answer the question...

The way I see it, the rule is clear - owning a grandfathered higher capacity magazine has nothing to do with State laws...the rule deals with the State law.