Sparky

I've been shooting IPSC since 1979 and it has evolved from

all 1911's and leather to what we have today and I think its

great.

However, I'd like to see the Magazine positions the same for

every Division. Every Division would be like Open and Limited

are now.

What do you guys think?

that's what makes buying a Safariland ELS comeptiton belt so important ... :)

It allows you to position you magazines for shooting different discliplines & divisions with only one belt & you get everything in the same place every time ... I can shoot Production, Open, 3-gun Tac Ops, Steel Challenge open & Steel Challenge rimfire all with just one belt ....

no way do we need to change the rules .... !

Edited by Nimitz

My primary division is Limited. My first magazine is only a couple of inches in front of my hip and my second is on my hip. Any farther forward and my hand will skip over it and grab the second magazine. When shooting SS I have no problem grabbing my magazines in order. I have had a carry permit for over 25 years so my muscle memory has my hand going to just in front of my hip bone and sweeping back until it encounters a magazine.

I see no reason to change the rules to permit magazines to be carried anywhere on the belt like Lim and Open.

i think we should be able to shoot any size gun in production, with whatever mag capacity fits in 170mm mags, and with compensators and optics, and any mag position and race holsters. That's a production division I would be interested in.

Seriously, wtf? Does it actually make a difference where the mags are? I found that when I shot limited it wasn't any faster or easier for me to access a magazine forward of my hip. I have heard the same thing from other shooters that shoot multiple divisions too. It seems to be a more awkward movement for me to get to the further forward pouches.

But we do have to transition when we change rigs and Divisions. The draws, reloads, transitions, etc. are very different from gun to gun, and especially from Division to Division. An STI in a speed holster is a very different animal than a CZ in a Production holster, and polymer guns are even more different (in terms of weight, balance, grip). Trigger is different from gun to gun, and recoil definitely isn't the same from Prod to Lim to Open. Putting the equipment in the same place (either behind the hip bone or somewhere else) isn't going to change that.

BTW, I'm also a Prod shooter who has my mags a bit more toward the hip in Limited than some friends, although they're definitely out in front of the hip bone. If I've shot either Div for a while, when I transition to the other Div my drawstroke is still what it was for the last one. It's sometimes funny when I first try to draw the Prod gun using the short drawstroke I use in Lim. Takes a few tries to get back to Prod style.

The Divisions are different, and there's no reason to swap things around simply to satisfy someone's desire to make it easier for them. Everybody in a Div has the same rules to deal with, and we each work with them our own way, "freestyle" so to speak.

Come on now! Why can't we just have a single div and do whatever you want to the gun? Just think how much money we could save on printing rulebooks if we just had an open division .... and don't give me this competitiveness nonsense .... Max & Eric & Ben & KC & on and on are going to beat 95% of all current open shooters even if you hand them a current Limited or Production setup to shoot .... this is America after all and we should be allowed to do whatever we want ......................................................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that responded. I respect your opinions, but disagree.

I guess the big question should be: Why change? People have expressed their opinions but you have not expressed why or how it would improve the game.