Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TT vs Dawson basepads

I always wonder why it seesm that a lot of the top shooters use the TT base plates instead of the Dawson. I have both and find the TT seem to be less durable than the Dawson SNL's. Yes i have both.

So what advantage does TT pads have that so many pros use them?

So what advantage does TT pads have that so many pros use them?

They come in spiffy colors?

Other than that, there isn't really any practical difference as far as I can tell. I had some Dawson's and sold them to try the TTI. I can't tell any difference in performance.

I have 3 w TT and two w Dawson's and Trace hit the nail on the head.

TT comes off easier due to better locking mech.

Also, you can get one or two more rounds in the TT than Dawson's.

Not saying Dawson's aren't very nice, just like TT a tad better.

Having both, I kind of prefer the Dawson because they are easier to grip onto IMO, but then again, I'm no "top shooter". Some grip tape around the sides and base give a very positive feel to them. I think the Dawson bases are a bit easier to remove too (the spring doesn't seem to hang as easily when taking the pad off.

The TTI red does look pretty cool though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Drop a TTI base pad on a rock and then try to remove it. It gets dented on the bottom and will not come off the mag. You have to use a rod through the top to take the dent out first. I'll stick with the Dawson or Grams. I also don't like the way you have to twist the spring to get the base pad off either. Base pads that come straight off are easier to remove and don't bind up the spring. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Drop a TTI base pad on a rock and then try to remove it. It gets dented on the bottom and will not come off the mag. You have to use a rod through the top to take the dent out first. I'll stick with the Dawson or Grams. I also don't like the way you have to twist the spring to get the base pad off either. Base pads that come straight off are easier to remove and don't bind up the spring. Thanks, Eric

Which platform is this for?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with some basepads that Springer Precision is making and they seem to work awesome. The have a set screw in the back to hold them on and they are rock solid once the set screw is tightened! Scott is in the testing process now and they should be available soon.

Edited by Snapple

I like the Grams and Dawson best. I like the fact that they go straight up and down for the removal/replacement process. If you use STI mags and need a spacer, this is crucial to keeping the spacer from causing failures. The other thing I like about the Grams is that they have so many sizes that it would be almost impossible not to find the perfect size for your application. Yes, I pretty much have or have had all the basepads out there.

I've been playing with some basepads the Springer Precision is making and they seem to work awesome. The have a set screw in the back to hold them on and they are rock solid once the set screw is tightened! Scott is in the testing process now and they should be available soon.

Set screw? How is it released to take off the pad? With an Allen wrench?

I prefer the Dawson to the TTI.

I like the size of the Dawson, easier to grab on too.

The Dawson is more durable, IMHO.

I am not a fan of the locking pin on the TTI, or the MBX for that matter. ) I do like the MBX tubes though!

I also like how the Dawson is installed, dropping on, instead of sliding on. That way you don't mess the spring getting twisted.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill no disrespect but it says SNL right on it.

I've had to adjust my mags with the snl pads for fit

I use one SNL for my start mag and regular dawsons for the rest

i.e. 20 for start if needed 19 on reloads etc

I like the TTI for my open gun and the colors are cool

Summary!

I use both without issue

• 3 weeks later...

Probably as the TTI has a bevel on the inside bottom surface where none of the Dawson's do. that slight amount of bevel makes a difference when the spring is fully compressed and can allow one more round. BTW, Grams pads have the bevel inside also and IMO are the best ones to use.

+1!