Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Apple Watch legal in USPSA.

razorfish

I'm wondering how legal new wearable electronic technologies are in USPSA.

Take for example the Apple Watch. Apple iPhones (version 5 and up) are great shot timers... I "could" create an app that would tap you on the wrist when you reached the last bullet in a magazine. This app would be for any division. Basically you would define the number of bullets in each magazine and when the shot counter reached your defined level (last bullet, second to last bullet, etc.) the watch could tap you on the wrist to "remind" you to reload. The gyroscopes and accelerometers in the Apple watch could be calibrated to let the app know you have manually reloaded before the magazine is empty. I'm not sure this app would even be useful, but would it be ethical and/or legal.

Looking at the technology coming in future incarnations of Google Glasses technology is pretty scary... The new technology could let you know things like, "you hit a no-shoot" or you missed a target. They could easily tell you that a steel didn't fall. This is definitely a year or two away, but these new gadgets are capable of some pretty interesting feats.

Is there any or should there be any rules that carte blanche cover electronics used by competitors during a match?

I think there was a thread somewhere discussing something similar with the Google glasses. The consensus was that no one really knew what the legality currently was, but that there wasn't really any advantage either.

If the Double Alpha ShotMaxx is legal, (and I do believe that people are using it in "spy" mode), then I don't understand why an Apple Watch would be banned. It's just a smart-watch. I don't know what benefit it would give anyone.

Depending on how hard it "taps" you, you may not notice during a stage. Or, it is noticeable and you have to spend a few matches and practice sessions getting used to it and knowing what it means when it "taps" you.

I don't need a watch to tell me when my gun is empty. It quits going bang! :goof:

Just kidding. I think planning a reload and proactively, aggressively performing it, would be a lot faster than reacting to an outside stimuli it was suddenly time..... I guess it could have some benefit as a last resort reminder type thing.

I'll just keep using my fingers and toes.

I dont think the tech is there yet to be a true game changer.

However .. give it a few years, create a device that lets me program my stage run ahead of time by just walking it and recording it, then play it back as I run the stage or maybe notice when I deviate from it .. might not make a difference in USPSA but it might make a difference in those long 3gun stages. Might make a difference in telling you to correct your aim for those 500y targets. I can see a faster and smarter google glass painting a crosshair in your field of vision simply by observing where your handgun is, with no electronics attached to it.

I think eventually we'll have to have the conversation, I'm just not sure we are there yet.

This technology is already in use. Just ask any 35yr old living in moms basement staring at a 50" plasma screen going 'pew pew pew'

Action beats reaction. If you wait to be reminded to reload, you will be slower than a shooter that "knows" when to reload. I see no benefit, only a liability.

Take it one step further......Yer in carry mode, stuff snaps off. Yer brain gets programmed to reload "when told". Watch craps out.....you don't reload. You meet Jesus.

Nope, not fer me.

who's the faster shooter? the one waiting for the 'ding' or looking for holes in the paper (or some other physical cue) or the one calling his shots?

Edited by Nimitz

who's the faster shooter? the one waiting for the 'ding' or looking for holes in the paper or the one calling his shots?

Exactly. We usually know what is in our guns because of where we are in a stage, and relying on another feedback source for input sounds like a poor management of time.

I see no benefit to it. A good stage plan beats being told to reload the gun if your being surprised by the gun running dry enough to need an app for it then you have a lot more going on in your game

You guys need to keep in mind this isn't all about winning.

Sure, it is faster to do your own correct reloads and if you need to be reminded you are not going to be hand fed grapes by maidens in the winners circle, but you know .. you might just beat the other C shooter for high C instead of the other way around. Competitive edges are edges at all levels, and no a watch reminder won't make you beat GMs, but that is not all the competitions there is.

My Limited DIvision Glocks were built in the secret underground factory in Graz. They have the Uber Smart option and automatically eject the magazine based on weight. To set it up you calibrate with a full magazine and then one that has only 2 rounds. You also have to program the HFL (Hit Feedback Loop) by calibrating the GPS and detecting the barometric pressure, temperature and wind velocity. The Mike detector is calibrated by aiming at a 15 yard target then missing so impact is at the berm.

So far this technology hasn't replaced the fundamentals of shooting though.............

Edited by 9x45

I am thinking that it would be hard to feel a watch vibe on my wrist through the recoil of the gun. If you delayed it to say ".10s" after the "said last shot" then that might make it a litte easier to notice :) Sounds like a pretty cool idea, it might help those who have hard time remembering when a reload is going to happen.

I am thinking that it would be hard to feel a watch vibe on my wrist through the recoil of the gun. If you delayed it to say ".10s" after the "said last shot" then that might make it a litte easier to notice :) Sounds like a pretty cool idea, it might help those who have hard time remembering when a reload is going to happen.

.10 after the shot + human reaction time is likely slower than your shot to shot split.

.10 after the shot + human reaction time is likely slower than your shot to shot split.

That is true, but i think he was wanting to use it for reloading. Which is obviously slower than your shot to shot split. I agree with your theme, that this will not have much added benefit to the skilled shooter but it will have more of a training/conditioning application.

Edited by Malarkey

Even if it were legal, I think it would have the same effect on your shooting as a malfunction. Seems like it would pull you out of your programmed subconscious shooting.

Yeah, like those premature reloads... I'm moving, I should be reloading....