Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major vs 38 thread # 2,927,642

MikeRush

It seems that the op has made his decision but i'm still working on mine, as I picked up an old Tripp framed 38 super for a song and was thinking of converting it. A few guys at my local club have complained about 9 majors cracking slides in front of the ejection port with around 10K rounds on them. I know two guys that this happened two both running sti slides. One was shooting autocomp not sure on the other. Would there be any truth to slides on a 9 major having less life than a 38 super? I'd hate to spend all the dollars with my machinist then hard, etc only to have the slide crack in a year or so.... Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that the op has made his decision but i'm still working on mine, as I picked up an old Tripp framed 38 super for a song and was thinking of converting it. A few guys at my local club have complained about 9 majors cracking slides in front of the ejection port with around 10K rounds on them. I know two guys that this happened two both running sti slides. One was shooting autocomp not sure on the other. Would there be any truth to slides on a 9 major having less life than a 38 super? I'd hate to spend all the dollars with my machinist then hard, etc only to have the slide crack in a year or so.... Any thoughts on this?

I know very little about 2011 slide life, but slide failure seems like either an original part defect(either from the stock part or to much material removed later) or by improper barrel fit? if the thing locks up so tight that things are hammering things fracture?

I know very little about 2011 slide life, but slide failure seems like either an original part defect(either from the stock part or to much material removed later) or by improper barrel fit? if the thing locks up so tight that things are hammering things fracture?

One was a stock trubor. The other a trubor with some minor lightening up front and tri top but nothing too severe.

Edited by Tochnost

From what I've heard, this is a known manufacturing issue in STI slides, (too little material in that area of the slide), and nothing to do with the type round being shot out of it, or any slide lightening that was done. Mine cracked there too, (right at the front of the ejection port), and the gun was originally a 38 Super that was converted to 9 Major. I bought the gun used, and have had it three years, and I just noticed the crack recently. I've probably put 20-25K though it in 3 years. The person I bought it from may have put about 7-10K through it before that. Guy I bought it from was using TrueBlue and Silhouette. I've been using Autocomp.

I believe that STI will stand behind them and warranty the slide as long as it's not cracked in an area that was lightened.

I'm going to build a 10mm magnum open gun. This way I'll be able to find my brass always and have superior line cutting ability to all the tiny bullet guys. I'll definitely have bragging rights after firing 150-200 rounds straight because it's a millimeter bigger and a magnum. I'll mount three red dots on it so I have a better chance of finding the dot after the onslaught of recoil. The only thing flat about this gun will be how the spectators are laying covering their double plugged ears while I rain down flaming casings as the earth shakes. Oh and my gun will be so cool that Chuck Norris will ask it for an autograph. Rolls eyes...get whatever you want that makes you happy.

I'm going to build a 10mm magnum open gun. This way I'll be able to find my brass always and have superior line cutting ability to all the tiny bullet guys. I'll definitely have bragging rights after firing 150-200 rounds straight because it's a millimeter bigger and a magnum. I'll mount three red dots on it so I have a better chance of finding the dot after the onslaught of recoil. The only thing flat about this gun will be how the spectators are laying covering their double plugged ears while I rain down flaming casings as the earth shakes. Oh and my gun will be so cool that Chuck Norris will ask it for an autograph. Rolls eyes...get whatever you want that makes you happy.

Enlightening. Glad you got the extractor tension figured out on your 10mm single stack. Now you just need to figure how to mount 3 red dots and you will be set.

Sounds like the new hot setup.

I have all the options to choose between 9mm and .38 when it comes to shooting Open - as I have a barrel for each fitted for my slide and my magazines runs with both (well... perhaps two sticks are giving med issues sometimes with 9x19, anyhow..), but I like the .38 super more then I like the 9mm. Have a few Tanfo gold matches in my club, and they have to load the crap out of their 9x19 to get the right amount of gas for the comp AND the ported barrels. I might however train with some 9mm loads, becuse it is a bit more jumpy in my gun, and I get to work on my grip some more, as the .38 is just overall nicer. Scientific? Nah, not a bit, go for what you like, for me when to comes to Open and hitting major PF its .38 :)

imho loading 9 to major isn't hard at all, I chronoed n105 loads up to 180PF with 2 hybridholes in 5.5" svi!!! thoose are a horrible to load though, 3n38 and around 170PF is far more preferable, the N105 bitchslapeffect is not optimal.

tanfos and 9 major though is just bad.. Ive tried helping friends with that and its just.. bad, 38SC for the tanfos no doubt.

Edited by ano

• 4 months later...

i appreciate the thread. I have considered trying open recently. I don't want to be one of those guys who waits until their eyes are bad and are basically being forced to shoot open.

I am already familiar with having to purchase brass, since I prefer to shoot SS Maj. Heck after a match is over, I'm lucky to walk away with 20% of my brass. Although used 45acp brass is a lot cheaper than 38SC

How do you guys get 60-80% of your brass back? I assume you can't wait until after the match is complete to pick up brass...?

How do you guys get 60-80% of your brass back? I assume you can't wait until after the match is complete to pick up brass...?

You can get most back at indoor matches, but outdoor its a real hassle to get more than half back. I have both and won't shoot 38 outdoors if I can avoid it.

Edited by kneelingatlas

You can get most back at indoor matches, but outdoor its a real hassle to get more than half back. I have both and won't shoot 38 outdoors if I can avoid it.

I think I would have better luck grabbing my 45 brass out of other shooters hands while they are picking it up, and just say thank you! ?

I don't expect to be a M or GM shooter, I don't have that kind of time on my hands but I know I would enjoy shooting open, but it does need to be convenient.

I think I would have better luck grabbing my 45 brass out of other shooters hands while they are picking it up, and just say thank you! ?

I don't expect to be a M or GM shooter, I don't have that kind of time on my hands but I know I would enjoy shooting open, but it does need to be convenient.

That's why you go 9MAJOR.

The real advantage to me for 9 major was I started out shooting steel challenge and there was no reason to shoot anything else; cheap bullets & cheap brass & low powder charges.

I got an open gun in 38super for USPSA and after a short period of time got fed up with two set ups for loading. I guess I could have gone to 9x23 but decided to keep it simple and shoot one caliber.

I will admit that finding the right load and getting the gun to run 100% has been a bit of work but once you figure it out, I don't think it is much different than any other platform or caliber.

Oh - and one more thing - the magazine issues with 9x19 are a royal PITA. Unless you are willing to spend the time and money on them, go with 38 super.

Edited by warpspeed

I went with 9 mm and couldn't be happier. Got a CK Arms Thunder Open, and did the "buy once, cry once" on some MBX magazines, and now I got a gun that runs 100% even with cheap factory minor ammo.

If I'm suddenly at like 95%+ at Nationals I'll give serious consideration to the 38 and experiment to see which is "better", but for now I'm more than happy with a gun that runs and having the money and ammo to train all I want.

I have a Freedom GunWorks 9 major and a CK Arms 9 major. I just started shooting open, but catching up with the 38 super boys. I to have wondered if I should have gone with a 38 super comp Open Gun. Right now I am having fun and that's all that matters.